Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Confused about parts! Please can someone help?

akakindz

Hope this is okay to post! 

Finally need new front brake pads and discs on my 2017 (MK 7.5) fiesta. 

Have been quoted £360 for Ford OEM or £175 for Motorcraft which would also fitted by Ford. Alternatively aftermarket from local garages from £195-270. Popped into Ford today and the technician said there's no difference between OEM and Motorcraft parts. So why such a big price difference? Does anyone know please? Is Motorcraft okay to go with? I want them to last but also do a proper job. Not biy cheap buy twice type thing 😅

Thanks so much in advance,

A

Just typical brand pricing nonsense. Big brand slaps their name on something and charges triple the price.

I believe motorcraft are a good brand. Go for it.

There used to be an eBay seller in Germany from whom I bought a replacement rear tail light lens , a genuine FORD item in the relevant packing for €100 (inc shipping to Ireland)  though I realise you're not in Ireland . 
Local main dealer wanted €175 inc Vodka And Tonic ! (That was back in 2019) 

Quietly I always thought/assumed that Motorcraft was a subsidiary of Ford as I'd only ever seen Motorcraft parts at Ford dealers but a quick search just now says otherwise .

Oh well , one learns something new every day ! 😄

P.S. I'd happily go for Motorcraft parts though . 

4 minutes ago, Don MC said:

Motorcraft IS owned by Ford. Probably 100% the same parts as Ford OEM.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcraft

I didn't say just how quick that quick search was but cheers kind sir ! 🤣

Just like "Marks & Spencers" sell there clothes range under the name St. Michael, Ford do the same.

Ford - Motorcraft - FoMoCo are all genuine Ford spare parts.

• Like 2

OEM pads are the same that are fitted on original production line build - they are "different" to Motorcraft ( non OEM) but I don't know what the technicalities are.

Motorcraft are Ford owned/approved and are the pads that dealers would supply or replace on a service.

Most dealers do not carry OEM pads - they are order for next day/5 day delivery and of course they are more expensive than the approved service replacement Motorcraft ones.

I know that whilst a car is still under manufacturers warranty a dealer should fit OEM pads should there be a claim that includes pads.

There is nothing "wrong" with Motorcraft pads

Under the Motorcraft brand name Ford offers a selection of approved aftermarket parts. These are mainly parts that are subjected to wear and service items. The Motorcraft parts are offered to the customer as a cheaper alternative to the original Ford Motor Company (FoMoCo) parts.

Motorcraft parts are not approved for warranty repairs. In case a car needs to be repaired under warranty the original FoMoCo parts need to be used.

The Motorcraft brake discs and pads are basically rebranded parts of an aftermarket manufacturer. Within Europe the Motorcraft brake parts are known to be produced by Bosch. In my opinion the Motorcraft brake discs and pads are not the best quality. The pads are basically too hard which results in excessive squealing of the pads. This is a well known problem of the Motorcraft brake pads. 

The original FoMoCo brake disc and pads are produced by ATE. These are the parts that are factory fitted. The FoMoCo/ATE brake discs and pads are actually a lot better than the Motorcraft brake discs and pads. The only disadvantage of the FoMoCo/ATE pads is the excessive amount of brake dust.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for your replies. It seems there's a divide about which pads would be the best option. Some have said there is no difference between the two while others claim there is. I suppose OEM will be the best quality but wow they're expensive. I'm an advanced driver so plan to make whatever I fit last as long as possible but want them to be high quality from the get go. Might see if a local garage can fit OEM for cheaper than Ford as Motorcraft doesn't seem the way... Ford. Lol sorry 

I don't think there is a need to use OEM when Motorcraft are fine. My friend has a Fiesta and is also a driving instructor. He prefers the motorcraft discs/pads as they stand up to the driving he and his student do. He tried Pagid once but hated them...too hard and noisy. As you can imagine he does a lot of miles in them...30,000 in 6 months once, though it's come down a bit more recently.

I have motorcraft on the rear of my Mondeo, not sure why I don't on the front, probably price (Brembo on the front).

There is nothing wrong with Motorcraft pads.

Year on year the guys on the Focus ST Forum highly rate Motorcraft pads. General consensus is to use genuine Ford discs and Motorcraft pads, or of course OEM pads

• Like 1