Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK3 SONY DAB ISSUES

wenglish

Hi Everyone just looking for some help if possible please with my recently purchased focus mk3 2012.

It has the Sony head unit installed with dab in the menu etc yet no matter what I try I can't get DAB to work can anyone point me in the right direction on how to maybe factory reset the Sony unit or is there anything else I need to do to make it work ?

Current listed options are listed below  

FM-AST

DAB1

DAB2

AM

AM-AST

Thank you 👍

When you say it won't work, do you mean it just won't pick up any stations?

Unfortunately it's old technology now, most stations in the UK are broadcast on DAB+ which it can't pick up.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply mate and yes it just won't do anything I can't even get it to scan it's strange. 

44 minutes ago, wenglish said:

Thanks for the reply mate and yes it just won't do anything I can't even get it to scan it's strange. 

Hmm, it should still scan.  I'd probably remove the unit to check the plugs are all in firmly.

Have to remove the front fascia first but that only requires a T20 torx screwdriver iirc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wenglish said:

Sony unit or is there anything else I need to do to make it work ?

Just a few things to check.

• Was the car built with that radio ? If it has been changed then DAB may need to be enabled using FORScan.
  • As Tom has already said there is only a hand full of stations that still broadcast on DAB, and they don't even cover much of the country. Most are now broadcasting on DAB+ only.
  • Have you checked the DAB aerial amplifier/isolator unit fitted it the tailgate? These are quite prone to failure.
  • Do you have a dashcam fitted they cause many problems with DAB, especially if you also have a rear dashcam
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Hmm, it should still scan.  I'd probably remove the unit to check the plugs are all in firmly.

Have to remove the front fascia first but that only requires a T20 torx screwdriver iirc.

Awesome thank you I'll give it a try 👍

1 hour ago, unofix said:

• Was the car built with that radio ? If it has been changed then DAB may need to be enabled using FORScan.
  • As Tom has already said there is only a hand full of stations that still broadcast on DAB, and they don't even cover much of the country. Most are now broadcasting on DAB+ only.
  • Have you checked the DAB aerial amplifier/isolator unit fitted it the tailgate? These are quite prone to failure.
  • Do you have a Dashcam fitted they cause many problems with DAB, especially if you also have a rear dashcam

Really appreciate the detailed reply thank you 

I assumed it was built with the car as it was in the radio menu etc but it could have also been added I'll have a look into everything to confirm thank you 👍

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Hmm, it should still scan.

I agree. So I don't think it's because there are no DAB transmissions. 

According to this website you should be able to receive these stations (I entered a random Bridgend postcode)

https://getdigitalradio.com/whats-on-dab/at-your-address/results/?postcode=cf31 3rd&address=1

• Like 1

Does the FM radio work ok?

I've remembered that searching for DAB stations on the Mk3 is really unintuitive.  Can't remember exactly how it's done now but it's possible you're just not using the correct procedure to search if it's only DAB that doesn't appear to work.

16 hours ago, unofix said:

• Do you have a Dashcam fitted they cause many problems with DAB, especially if you also have a rear dashcam

lots of DAB stations still out there - my DAB only Merc can find more than 40

I drove her mk2 last week with Ford SONY DAB headunit and it didn't pick up anything - crap ariels - hers was an upgrade and it has the Ford DAB radio antenna and after-market DAB antenna amp and its always been a joke

my sister had a 2014 mk3 with the sony DAB unit with nav and DAB worked well - but always since new had thrown a antenna error in diagnostics

I guess its a sync 1.1 - might as well throw the last Software update at it via a USB stick and see if that helps   ford website - put in chassis number get 170 meg file pull it apart - rewrite the files coz ford to DIM to do it - and it loads - updates for about 25 minute (car running) and you update about 10 bits of the system

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Does the FM radio work ok?

I've remembered that searching for DAB stations on the Mk3 is really unintuitive.  Can't remember exactly how it's done now but it's possible you're just not using the correct procedure to search if it's only DAB that doesn't appear to work.

Yes FM works perfectly I'll try and find out the correct procedure to see what I'm doing wrong thanks Tom 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Botus said:

lots of DAB stations still out there - my DAB only Merc can find more than 40

I drove her mk2 last week with Ford SONY DAB headunit and it didn't pick up anything - crap ariels - hers was an upgrade and it has the Ford DAB radio antenna and after-market DAB antenna amp and its always been a joke

my sister had a 2014 mk3 with the sony DAB unit with nav and DAB worked well - but always since new had thrown a antenna error in diagnostics

I guess its a sync 1.1 - might as well throw the last Software update at it via a USB stick and see if that helps   ford website - put in chassis number get 170 meg file pull it apart - rewrite the files coz ford to DIM to do it - and it loads - updates for about 25 minute (car running) and you update about 10 bits of the system

Thank you I'll definitely give this a try really appreciate it 

6 hours ago, wenglish said:

find out the correct procedure

1. Select DAB (obvs)

2. Press the button (>>|) to the right of the circular knob (not the > within the circular knob).

That's all you have to do.

It scans to the next station like an FM scan - once it's displaying a station that you want, press and hold a preset button exactly as you would for FM or AM.  it doesn't scan and store all the stations like a portable Pure DAB radio at home.

As a matter of interest, I receive well over 100 stations in my area and dozens of them are listed as DAB+ (e.g. Heart 70s, Gold, Boom) so I think the unit probably does receive DAB+ stations too. 

15 hours ago, alanfp said:

1. Select DAB (obvs)

2. Press the button (>>|) to the right of the circular knob (not the > within the circular knob).

That's all you have to do.

It scans to the next station like an FM scan - once it's displaying a station that you want, press and hold a preset button exactly as you would for FM or AM.  it doesn't scan and store all the stations like a portable Pure DAB radio at home.

Mine won't search just get a rotating  loading circle then goes back to fm. Mines not even the sync system. It's the mfd system. Shows as ford audio on bluetooth! Really annoying!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club