Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smart Charger For 1.0 EcoBoost (And beyond)

plasticpat

Evenin all , 

Up until recently I had no battery scares with 'Black Beauty' my 1.0 EcoBoost Focus and it's not refused to start since but it's come to my attention that my old battery charger would not be compatible with Stop/Start batteries . 

In short I want a charger that will 'grow with me' , capable of charging the battery of whatever my next vehicle might be . Just for example , say I bought a Ranger or a Discovery to replace my Focus .  

I'm a fan of Sealey tools , having had an Autocharge12 . 

I'd been looking at a Sealey 1220HF , the one in the link right here >> https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/5637698993/12a-9-cycle-1224v-compact-smart-charger-maintainer 

Is this a suitable upgrade for what I'm looking for ?

Also ,  are Stop/Start batteries compatible with being jump started with jump leads/12v powerpacks ? I looked at my owners manual but found it to be a bit vague/generic in it's text regarding this . 

As is normal and proper your assistance will be appreciated and acknowledged even if not right away or 'Ta for your help' ! 

😄 👍

CTEK MXS5 model is well recommended. average around £70 at present.

Euro Car Parts over £150, ha ha ha

19 hours ago, TrevorB said:

CTEK MXS5 model is well recommended. average around £70 at present.

Euro Car Parts over £150, ha ha ha

Cheers , I'll have a look 👍

22 hours ago, plasticpat said:

it's come to my attention that my old battery charger would not be compatible with Stop/Start batteries . 

who has said that? 

I'm not saying you're not right, but I haven't heard of this before. I'd be interested to know the source in case it affects me in future.

• Like 1

The owner of a local motor factor said it but then they're in the business of selling stuff . 

3 hours ago, alanfp said:

who has said that? 

I'm not saying you're not right, but I haven't heard of this before. I'd be interested to know the source in case it affects me in future.

The owner of a local motor factor said it but then again they're in the business of selling stuff . 

Sod the link , lets do it the old skool way . Here's a photo of what's potentially my next charger ... 

It's a Sealey 1200HF for £107.94 , 

AUTOCHARGE1200HF_DFC1237219.thumb.png.77355494f1783f2e7c576ed76c576d75.png

If you don't own a 'Maypole' battery charger then ....... you haven't got a charger !!

That might have been said by @StephenFord at some point 🤣🤣

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, unofix said:

If you don't own a 'Maypole' battery charger then ....... you haven't got a charger !!

If the guy has got £110 to squander, that's fine, but those of us in the MayPole community know £25 is all you really need to spend...

• Haha 2

Yes I seem to recall reading such a statement on the forums (perhaps more than once ?!)  😄

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Cheers , I just had a look on your link but this kind seller don't post to Ireland . 

There are those of course that do but purchasing stuff in UK will also attract import charges on items being sent to Ireland . 

2 minutes ago, plasticpat said:

Cheers , I just had a look on your link but this kind seller don't post to Ireland . 

There are those of course that do but purchasing stuff in UK will also attract import charges on items being sent to Ireland . 

I feel your pain buddy, there are many sellers who don't think Northern Ireland is part of the UK LOL I'm sure you'll be able to find an Irish seller of the MayPole if that's the direction you're heading...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, plasticpat said:

I just had a look on your link but this kind seller don't post to Ireland . 

That's a poor excuse 🤣

Here's one that will deliver: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009A83P1E?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-reorder-t1_k0_1_16&amp=&crid=2RJRRGAU3JON6&amp=&sprefix=maypole+battery+

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm sure y'all count Maypole chargers instead of sheep when you're asleep ! 

• Haha 3

😶*So it's Maypole or Maypole*

Thanks for your replies all 👍

• Like 1

So that just leaves my other question unanswered ... 

Are Stop/Start batteries compatible with being jump started ? 

Anyone that uses the word Maypole in his/her reply will be hunted down ... 😈 

• Haha 2

Yes, stop start batteries can be jump started fine.  

It's more the sensitive electronics on modern cars than can be damaged by a sudden power surge.

The Noco GB40 is great. :wink:

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, plasticpat said:

I'm sure y'all count Maypole chargers instead of sheep when you're asleep ! 

Apart from one on here who possibly counts his commission received from endless sales of the legendary Maypole, can't for the life of me remember who it is 😉

• Haha 4

22 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Yes, stop start batteries can be jump started fine.  

It's more the sensitive electronics on modern cars than can be damaged by a sudden power surge.

The Noco GB40 is great. :wink:

Thank you , I'd always carried a pair of leads in my old Mk2 and recently out of habit got a pair for my current car (not actually having given it much thought) though I don't expect they'll get much use . Maybe the occasional damsel in distress ! 😀

Your reply has been 'stored upstairs' for future reference 👍

21 hours ago, Wino said:

Apart from one on here who possibly counts his commission received from endless sales of the legendary Maypole, can't for the life of me remember who it is 😉

Nah , me neither ! 😆

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club