Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Faulty instrument cluster?

perry081064

Ford fiesta 1.25 zetec on a 13 plate.
I've had the sender unit checked on petrol tank.
Earthing checked.
Scans show no codes.
Needles shake on starting, sometimes reads wrong fuel level.
After starting a few times , the cluster resets itself with a noise similar to grinding cogs.
After that it's fine for the day.
It's an intermittent fault so doesn't do it all the time.

I'm thinking of taking it to  ford to have a new cluster and coding but it's going to cost £750.

Anyone else had this issue ?

https://youtu.be/NPo0aBZA4iw

search the net for a couple of guys Ollie Jones or Richard Aron Beetwell best looking on FB, if its a cluster issue theyre your guys.

2 hours ago, Jimpster said:

search the net for a couple of guys Ollie Jones or Richard Aron Beetwell best looking on FB, if its a cluster issue theyre your guys.

Thanks 😊 

5 hours ago, perry081064 said:

I'm thinking of taking it to  ford to have a new cluster and coding but it's going to cost £750...

With respect, you shouldn't be taking any 14 year old car to Ford for anything! There are plenty of competent independant garages around that will not extract your life savings. If it is a 'cluster' repair, budget less than £100. Simply doesn't make economic sense to instal a brand new cluster in such an old car (though still young compared to my own 18 year old!)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

With respect, you shouldn't be taking any 14 year old car to Ford for anything! There are plenty of competent independant garages around that will not extract your life savings. If it is a 'cluster' repair, budget less than £100. Simply doesn't make economic sense to instal a brand new cluster in such an old car (though still young compared to my own 18 year old!)

xactly i was looking at the thick end of a grand to replace my cluster via ford as it was the rare red cluster, i shared it on FOC and other places. Richard upgradesd me from 2.0 to 2.5 cluster in red, no mileage matching to do as he can zero replacements and a new flik key for £120 all done via postage.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

... and a new flik key...

OK, you got my interest! LOL How does he do the key via post, I'd be awfully interested in getting one done.

• Like 1

you can use HD photographs of the blade, or post them a spare

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

you can use HD photographs of the blade, or post them a spare

I'm assuming by sending a 'spare', he can clone the immobiliser, and remote functions?

29 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I'm assuming by sending a 'spare', he can clone the immobiliser, and remote functions?

On vehicles built before 2013, it is still possible to programme in new keys (PATS) using FORScan.

In fact if memory serves me right on your model you can even add them just by turning the ignition on and off in a particular sequence provided that you already have two programmed keys (not clones of each other).

See page 69 and page 71 of the Owners handbook about adding extra keys:

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/CG3321enRHD072004.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, unofix said:

In fact if memory serves me right on your model you can even add them just by turning the ignition on and off in a particular sequence provided that you already have two programmed keys (not clones of each other).

I wasn't aware of that. When I 1st got the car I did inquire with Timpsons on getting a spare fob key, but after a quote of £220, it went out of my head. If I could get one for the cost of an ordinary spare key, I'd certainly look into it again, especially if I could obtain a modern looking flick blade key fob! 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, unofix said:

Have had a look at 'programme new key' and am confused already LOL On No. 3, it states, "repeat this last step for all your radio frequency keys...". Now, exactly what step do you repeat with the original key? I know, treat me like a 5 year old!

1866274944_keyprogramme.thumb.jpg.59bb65f4b5243dc289f002a530495ec8.jpg

56 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Have had a look at 'programme new key' and am confused already LOL On No. 3, it states, "repeat this last step for all your radio frequency keys...". Now, exactly what step do you repeat with the original key? I know, treat me like a 5 year old!

1866274944_keyprogramme.thumb.jpg.59bb65f4b5243dc289f002a530495ec8.jpg

Pressing any button on each key.

However, that's for Mk1 Focus with the older style keys anyway.

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

"repeat this last step for all your radio frequency keys...".

Once you begin the process of adding / reprogramming the lock/unlock function of the keys it clears the cars memory of all keys including the one you started the process with. This is away of deleting any lost keys or keys that previous owners may still have. So to complete the process you need to press any button on the original key. It was actually a good system and a shame that it no longer works on newer vehicles.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, unofix said:

Once you begin the process of adding / reprogramming the lock/unlock function of the keys it clears the cars memory of all keys including the one you started the process with. ..

So, if I screw the process up (highly likely LOL) is it possible I'll be left with keys that just don't work at all it it clears the memory of them?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

So, if I screw the process up (highly likely LOL) is it possible I'll be left with keys that just don't work at all it it clears the memory of them?

That is a slight possibility, but not a problem. So long as the ignition recognises the PATS transponder in the key (which it will do), then you can have as many tries  as you like to add the RF function of the keys.

• Like 2

there is a youtube video that walks you thru it erasing all keys and recoding as many as you need. i followed it, just make sure your extra key has the correct transponder as theres 2.

Dare i say its idiot proof, i managed it and was papping myself incase i bricked it all. the key you linked to is what i used i originally had the mk1 stylr round fob

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Forgive me for

You're forgiven 🤣

On the face of it, yes I would say that it should work. For the price of it I'd certainly give it a try. No need to get it cut until you have tried programming the RF lock/unlock function.

There are even ways to test if you can programme in the new PATS transponder without the need to have the key cut.

10 minutes ago, unofix said:

There are even ways to test if you can programme in the new PATS transponder without the need to have the key cut.

C'mon, you can't throw a statement like that out without knowing I'd be asking.... how? LOL :laughing:

• Haha 2

The RF programming of the new key will be easy as you don't need to put that in the ignition, so just use a key that you already have to start the process and press a button on each key in turn to add them.

The programming of the PATS transponder is a little more tricky. You just need to remove the PATS chip from one of your already working keys and just tape it to the side of it. Your ignition will read the chip as normal.

Then to add the new transponder chip simply remove your working key and quickly swap the chip for the new one and put the key back in the ignition. The car will then read the new transponder and add it to memory.

If all goes according to plan you will have programmed in the new RF part of the key and also added the new transponder chip. Then you need to find someone willing to cut the key.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, unofix said:

If all goes according to plan you will have programmed in the new RF part of the key...

New key now bought, will report back my success at getting it to work!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

New key now bought, will report back my success at getting it to work!

You're going to be like a kid at Christmas, excited to get a new toy 🤣

Keep us posted on how it goes. 👍

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StephenFord said:

I worked it out to be 10 years old as its a 2013 plate and it's now 2023.

The car itself looks like it's been looked after and has got a decent service history so I don't mind having to buy a new cluster if that's what's needed.

I'm a carer for my disabled wife so I haven't the time to mess with it myself and the ford dealer is less than 1/2 mile from my house.

I was just wondering if it sounds like it's definitely the cluster before take my trousers down at the dealership?

Could it be the ignition barrel or the ecu ?

Sorry if the questions sound stupid to those who know.

Just want it sorted now.

7 hours ago, Jimpster said:

xactly i was looking at the thick end of a grand to replace my cluster via ford as it was the rare red cluster, i shared it on FOC and other places. Richard upgradesd me from 2.0 to 2.5 cluster in red, no mileage matching to do as he can zero replacements and a new flik key for £120 all done via postage.

How do I contact this person named Richard?

I'd happily pay 100 plus another 200 on top if he could sort mine as all the local garages want me to take it to a dealer as they can't code or repair .

• Like 1

10 hours ago, perry081064 said:

I worked it out to be 10 years old as its a 2013 plate and it's now 2023...

Maybe you should edit your profile as it definitely states your car is 2009...

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club