Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Finance Return/Car Buyer Checks

TomsFocus

Never done this before...  What checks are usually carried out before handing back to finance company or selling to a car buying service?

I've read 'no warning lights' but anyone with a Mk4 knows there's about 12 warning messages after every start... :rolleyes:

Will pump up the tyres and reset the TPMS.

Will replace the fob batteries.

I assume infotainment warnings won't be an issue?  And the one for emergency call?

Have checked: Electric windows, wipers & washers, pan roof & blind, electric drivers seat adjustment, all doors & tailgate, all footwells for water leaks, locking wheel nut key & easyfuel funnel.  

Will try to get a relative to give it a run around the block as I'm still unable to drive.

Is there anything else I should have checked?

No-one?  Do you just hand back and hope for the best?  Same as those people that put cars in for MOT with blown bulbs... :laugh: 

I have had another thought though.  Is there a way to clear all personal data out of Sync 3?  I can't remember what I may or may not have put in.  (Nav locations, phone, wifi, etc?)  So would rather do a single wipe if possible.

I think it all depends on who you are selling the car too. I sold my old fiesta to Arnold Clark and these are the checks they did:

- Checked body work for dents, scratches etc

- Check tread depth and for scuffs on alloys

- Check the interior condition

- Turned on the car and make sure it seems to run ok.

- Moved it forward and back.

- Checked service history

That was about it really. But like I say possibly different everywhere.

I would definitely do a reset on Sync 3 just in case of ant personal data this is what I did. (link to the ford website on how to do this)

https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/search/How do I perform a SYNC 3 master reset?#:~:text=Press Settings on your vehicle's,to factory defaults will appear.

• Thanks 1

It's no different to a normal part-ex.

Most likely the dealer will keep the car to sell themselves and pay Ford the GMFV.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I have had another thought though.  Is there a way to clear all personal data out of Sync 3?  I can't remember what I may or may not have put in.  (Nav locations, phone, wifi, etc?)  So would rather do a single wipe if possible.

Just found this video.  Looks like it's very simple to reset the system.   One question though - will this remove my FordPass app access?  If it will, I'll leave it until the day of return.  If not, I'll do it today so I don't forget!  

3 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

It's no different to a normal part-ex.

I've never done that either!! 😮 

Owned 60+ cars and always sold privately if not scrapped or stripped for parts.

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I've never done that either!! 😮 

Owned 60+ cars and always sold privately if not scrapped or stripped for parts.

Basically the closer you are to getting it's true value the more they look at it, lol.

It's no different to what a private buyer might look at.

They are only interested in turning a profit on it. If the GMFV means they make profit, they won't care about any niggles and yours will be so under it's mileage allowance, they should turn a profit easy. Probably just give it a quick walk around to make sure nothing hanging off it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Matthew McGuinness said:

I think it all depends on who you are selling the car too. I sold my old fiesta to Arnold Clark and these are the checks they did:

- Checked body work for dents, scratches etc

- Check tread depth and for scuffs on alloys

- Check the interior condition

- Turned on the car and make sure it seems to run ok.

- Moved it forward and back.

- Checked service history

That was about it really. But like I say possibly different everywhere.

Thanks Matthew.  Most likely going to be one of the car buying services.  But keeping all options open atm, including handing back to Ford as a last resort.

• Like 1

It's also worth asking around dealers if any of them want to buy the car.

Not just take it back, but pay you the difference between the GMFV and the price they agree to buy it for. My dad did this with a Fiesta.

6 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

It's also worth asking around dealers if any of them want to buy the car.

Not just take it back, but pay you the difference between the GMFV and the price they agree to buy it for. My dad did this with a Fiesta.

I did ask the supplying Ford dealer if they wanted to buy it.  The price they offered was an insult tbh!  Several thousand pounds less than Motorway/Cazoo/WBAC.  I was genuinely surprised as they would surely be better placed to sell the car than a car buying service.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

I did ask the supplying Ford dealer if they wanted to buy it.  The price they offered was an insult tbh!  Several thousand pounds less than Motorway/Cazoo/WBAC.  I was genuinely surprised as they would surely be better placed to sell the car than a car buying service.

The nearest dealer wasn't that interested in my Dad's Fiesta, but another one about 45 mins away was and offered more than any of the car buying websites, so it can (literally) pay to ask around other dealers, someone might want it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I did ask the supplying Ford dealer if they wanted to buy it.  The price they offered was an insult tbh! 

I wonder if they're not that popular? My local dealer has had a nearly new Focus Active Vignale 155 on the forecourt for so long it's not nearly new any more! It's wall to wall Pumas and Kugas there now, as you might expect I suppose.

2 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

The nearest dealer wasn't that interested in my Dad's Fiesta, but another one about 45 mins away was and offered more than any of the car buying websites, so it can (literally) pay to ask around other dealers, someone might want it.

Very true.  Not really an option for me though as the car will need to be collected.

Just now, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I wonder if they're not that popular? My local dealer has had a nearly new Focus Active Vignale 155 on the forecourt for so long it's not nearly new any more! It's wall to wall Pumas and Kugas there now, as you might expect I suppose.

Yeah, I agree it's not the sort of thing they could flip in a weekend.  Though the car buying services must be getting valuations from sales, so some of them must be moving. 🤔

6 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Just found this video.  Looks like it's very simple to reset the system.   One question though - will this remove my FordPass app access?  If it will, I'll leave it until the day of return.  If not, I'll do it today so I don't forget!  

To be safe you might want to delete or otherwise disable your Ford Pass account first. 

I have done a Master as well as a Soft reset before and I think that some things did go back to where they were before after a while, probably because I logged into my Ford Pass account.

• Thanks 1

On 2/28/2023 at 9:49 AM, TomsFocus said:

including handing back to Ford as a last resort.

Don't hand back to Ford, it will be worth a lot more money than the MGFV

• Like 1

Just now, DaveT70 said:

Don't hand back to Ford, it will be worth a lot more money than the MGFV

I'm well aware of that.  I'm in an unusual situation though.  Most forms of 'sale' are impossible in my circumstances and getting maximum money for the car isn't high on the priority list.

Out of interest, has anyone handed a car back to Ford on behalf of an owner who couldn't be present at the handover?

I (wrongly!!) assumed a relative could make a sales handover as long as they had all of the owners ID paperwork, but this does not seem to be the case for the car buying services at least.  The owner of the car must be present at the handover.  Not sure if that would be the same for handing back as no money would have to change hands?

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The owner of the car must be present at the handover.

That must make for an interesting meeting for those owners who have passed away. Perhaps they hold a seance ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, unofix said:

That must make for an interesting meeting for those owners who have passed away. Perhaps they hold a seance ?

They will accept a death certificate from the next of kin of a deceased owner or a power of attorney letter for considerable disablement.  

I don't fit either of those categories though.

59 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

They will accept a death certificate from the next of kin of a deceased owner or a power of attorney letter for considerable disablement.  

I don't fit either of those categories though.

Get some ideas on price, with an extra owner, then maybe get the owner to transfer it to you and sell it when it's in your name

26 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

Get some ideas on price, with an extra owner, then maybe get the owner to transfer it to you and sell it when it's in your name

I am the owner.  I'm effectively housebound now and have been unable to drive for the past 18 months. 

Not enough time to transfer to a relative now.  And for anyone else considering that, the car buying services will only buy when the car has been in the owners name for 6 months or more.

15 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I am the owner.  I'm effectively housebound now and have been unable to drive for the past 18 months. 

Not enough time to transfer to a relative now.  And for anyone else considering that, the car buying services will only buy when the car has been in the owners name for 6 months or more.

Oh, I see.

I'm sorry about that.

Most of the buying places will come to you to collect

• Like 1

As Dave above says, is it an option for you to have the car collected by one of the car buying companies Tom ? 

2 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

Most of the buying places will come to you to collect

1 hour ago, Wino said:

As Dave above says, is it an option for you to have the car collected by one of the car buying companies Tom ? 

That was the plan, but they still insist on the owner being present at the handover, with photo ID. 

As my health issues vary from hour to hour, I can't predict when I'll be 'available' to answer to the door, let alone get outside.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club