Do Not Sell My Personal Information

abs. traction control and stop light on

redoor43

Hi everyone

over the week ive been trying to resolve a problem with a parasitic drain on my wifes fiesta titanium 2011 1.6 so after giving up, i reconected the battery and the car wouldnt start,on looking at the fuses i discovered id replaced one wrong and the car started and everthing was ok,then i took the battery off to charge it fully and it was off over the weekend, this morning i conected the battery back and went to go out. the steering felt too loose and i looked on the dash and there was a abs light and a skidding type icon and the handbrake light was on, i have a scan tool (which i dont really unerstand and it says u0121 lost comunication with abs lock brake system (abs ) control module, could i have put a fuse in the wrong place or a fuse blown i have attached two photos to see if anyone can spot anything any help would be greatly appeciated thank you

IMG_20230227_133530.jpg

IMG_20230227_142920.jpg

Not much help now but I usually take those photos before taking things apart so I can double check on reassembly. I would say make sure you haven’t dislodged any plugs into the fuse box and elsewhere.

• Like 2

to be honest i normally do but on this occasion i forgot doh

They're different fuse boxes, so there's your first problem...

one is from the engine bay and the other is in the glove compartment

Do you have a multimeter?  If so, check whether voltage is present on both sides of each fuse.  That's the quickest way to determine if any are blown.  

DC volts setting - black probe to any piece of solid metal (battery post or ignition barrel etc) - red probe to every fuse top pin.  Any with 12v on one side should also have 12v on the other side.

• Like 1

cheers ive checked them with a mulitmeter all are good, i just didnt know if i'd put one in the wrong place as some of the empty slots have a reading on them I'm starting to give up now as i think ive tried everything and realising i'll have to take it to a machanic unless anyone comes up with anything i havnt tried but thank you

• Sad 1

Hi, your ‘u’  dtc (diagnostic trouble code ) seems to relate to a loss of can bus connection to the brake system.

a worthwhile check would be the plugs into the fuse box behind the glovebox. They can be prone to disturbance and corrosion if you have a leaky windscreen.

also wiggle the plugs on the abs unit if you can reach it.

I believe you may indeed have fuses in the wrong place.

For the fusebox in the first picture, I found a matching one in the following thread and everything seems to be in identical places:

For the second I was struggling to find a match until I realised that your picture must be flipped horizontally for some reason. Then there were plenty of matches. This ebay item is a good example and helpfully includes a picture of the diagram on the underside of the lid.

Here's a copy of your second picture flipped horizontally:

owners_fusebox_correctly_oriented.thumb.jpg.93bdd404821ea1cac55c609e99cbb3f9.jpg

Now here's the picture from the eBay listing, rotated and cropped:

ebay_fusebox.thumb.jpg.3f2acc251017ca662c94ee66ce8ecd3d.jpg

Note that the fuses on the second row down are different. This is not conclusive proof that they are misplaced since things do vary from model to model, but there's a strong possibility, from the pictures I've looked at that, that some fuses on that row may be in the wrong place, especially considering that there's one on that row marked ABS which is empty in your picture.

Here's the fusebox lid from that eBay listing:

ebay_fusebox_lid.thumb.jpg.71bbd3df3fb1eaf8b8775de024833d6c.jpg

So:

• The three blue 15A fuses seem to be shifted one place too far to the right. I say this partly because of the mismatch with the eBay picture, but also from the diagram you've got a 15A fuse in slot F25 which takes a 10A. So move the 15A from F25 to F22.
  • F28 is for ABS, takes a 20A, and that slot in your picture is empty, which is probably the cause of the problem you found. You have a 20A fuse in slot F27 which is wrong since that slot should have a 7.5A fuse. Since F26 (which does take a 7.5A) is for something far less important (and possibly optional) than F27, I'd suggest that you've misplaced the 7.5A & 20A pair here one place too far to the left. Move the 20A from F27 to F28 and the 7.5A from F26 to F27.
  • You've incorrectly got a 7.5A in slot F29 which should have a 10A and a 10A in slot F31 which should have a 7.5A, so it seems you've put these two back in the wrong way around. Swap them.

That should probably solve everything, presuming you've only misplaced them and not lost any.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, redoor43 said:

one is from the engine bay and the other is in the glove compartment

Don't know why the wink 😉 emoji didn't show. 

Whilst a multimeter is good, it's a lot easier to use a test light. 

Hope you get sorted, electrical gremlins can be a right pain it the posterior. 

Well done rd457, lack of power to the abs could explain it not communicating with the vehicle.👍

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, rd457 said:

I believe you may indeed have fuses in the wrong place.

For the fusebox in the first picture, I found a matching one in the following thread and everything seems to be in identical places:

For the second I was struggling to find a match until I realised that your picture must be flipped horizontally for some reason. Then there were plenty of matches. This ebay item is a good example and helpfully includes a picture of the diagram on the underside of the lid.

Here's a copy of your second picture flipped horizontally:

owners_fusebox_correctly_oriented.thumb.jpg.93bdd404821ea1cac55c609e99cbb3f9.jpg

Now here's the picture from the ebay listing, rotated and cropped:

ebay_fusebox.thumb.jpg.3f2acc251017ca662c94ee66ce8ecd3d.jpg

Note that the fuses on the second row down are different. This is not conclusive proof that they are misplaced since things do vary from model to model, but there's a strong possibility, from the pictures I've looked at that, that some fuses on that row may be in the wrong place, especially considering that there's one on that row marked ABS which is empty in your picture.

Here's the fusebox lid from that ebay listing:

ebay_fusebox_lid.thumb.jpg.71bbd3df3fb1eaf8b8775de024833d6c.jpg

So:

• The three blue 15A fuses seem to be shifted one place too far to the right. I say this partly because of the mismatch with the ebay picture, but also from the diagram you've got a 15A fuse in slot F25 which takes a 10A. So move the 15A from F25 to F22.
  • F28 is for ABS, takes a 20A, and that slot in your picture is empty, which is probably the cause of the problem you found. You have a 20A fuse in slot F27 which is wrong since that slot should have a 7.5A fuse. Since F26 (which does take a 7.5A) is for something far less important (and possibly optional) than F27, I'd suggest that you've misplaced the 7.5A & 20A pair here one place too far to the left. Move the 20A from F27 to F28 and the 7.5A from F26 to F27.
  • You've incorrectly got a 7.5A in slot F29 which should have a 10A and a 10A in slot F31 which should have a 7.5A, so it seems you've put these two back in the wrong way around. Swap them.

That should probably solve everything, presuming you've only misplaced them and not lost any.

Fair play, what a tremendous effort & description this was, even if it doesn't solve the issue, good work! 

• Like 1

Lyndon  thank you for such a detailed explanation and to going to so much effort, this all makes me hopefull that the mystery can be solved as you wouldnt believe how heavy this has weighed on my mind for the past few days i shall let you know soon as i get home but regardless of the outcome thank you very much

• Like 1

thank you so much lyndon, my stress has lifted, i had the 20 fuse in the wrong slot, i cant tell you how stressed i was at the thought of spending 500 pounds on a new abs module my email is redoor43@hotmail.com  if you have paypal i would like to send a small token of my appriciation

thank you so so much

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

also thank you to everyone that posted comments

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club