Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2020 Ecoboost, Chain or wet belt

Anorakmark

Good afternoon everyone.

Been having a discussion on the Ecoboost engine with regards to the servicing intervals for the wet belt camshaft drive.

My model is a 2020 registered May 2020. 1.0 Ecoboost, Non MHEV.

It appears the engine fitted on mine is the latest version and is chain driven for the camshaft & a wet internal belt for the oil pump drive.

I was advised that it is very easy to tell the 2 different engines apart & that the later chain driven unit has the Turbo & induction at the rear & an aluminium chain cover on the block.

Can any member please confirm this, I have attached a picture of my engine for clarification.

333311848_522994809941647_1370565082604624052_n.jpg

Yes, that's the revised version. Would it be an auto, by any chance?

Pic of my wet belt version below for comparison:

IMG_20190308_100132_hdr.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Eric, mine is a 6 speed manual, a lot of owners seem surprised mine has the chain driven unit.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Anorakmark said:

mine is a 6 speed manual, a lot of owners seem surprised mine has the chain driven unit.

Very interesting. As far as I remembered, when the revised ecoboost first appeared in the Fiesta, the auto was the only 125/155ps version not to get mhev, hence my question. Apparently not!

• Like 2

Yes very strange, mine is the 125hp, as far as I'm aware it's not the MHEV?

Daft question but if mine was the MHEV would it not show on the V5, as far as I'm aware its a standard 6 speed 1.0 Ecoboost 125HP.

7 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Very interesting. As far as I remembered, when the revised ecoboost first appeared in the Fiesta, the auto was the only 125/155ps version not to get mhev, hence my question. Apparently not!

Yes very strange, mine is the 125hp, as far as I'm aware it's not the MHEV?

Daft question but if mine was the MHEV would it not show on the V5, as far as I'm aware its a standard 6 speed 1.0 Ecoboost 125HP.

It wouldn't necessarily be on the V5. It does seem odd. Ford originally made a big "thing" of mhev by putting "Ecoboost hybrid" badges on the tailgate.

If mhev, you ought to get some indication in the instrument display, eg:

Hybrid Gauge
  1. Using the information display controls on the steering wheel, select MyView.
  1. Select Hybrid Gauge.
Note:   If you select any other screen than the hybrid gauge then the current status indicator of the hybrid system appears in the information display.
Image Shown Without Description  Illuminates in the information display when the mild hybrid system is charging the battery. Image Shown Without Description  Illuminates in the information display when the battery is assisting the powertrain in driving the vehicle.
Image Shown Without Description  Illuminates in the information display when the battery is providing a large amount of energy to the powertrain to support a higher rate of acceleration. Image Shown Without Description  Illuminates in the information display when the mild hybrid system cannot provide energy to the powertrain.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

It wouldn't necessarily be on the V5. It does seem odd. Ford originally made a big "thing" of mhev by putting "Ecoboost hybrid" badges on the tailgate.

If mhev, you ought to get some indication in the instrument display, eg:

Hybrid Gauge
  1. Using the information display controls on the steering wheel, select MyView.
  1. Select Hybrid Gauge.
Note:   If you select any other screen than the hybrid gauge then the current status indicator of the hybrid system appears in the information display.
Image Shown Without Description  Illuminates in the information display when the mild hybrid system is charging the battery. Image Shown Without Description  Illuminates in the information display when the battery is assisting the powertrain in driving the vehicle.
Image Shown Without Description  Illuminates in the information display when the battery is providing a large amount of energy to the powertrain to support a higher rate of acceleration. Image Shown Without Description  Illuminates in the information display when the mild hybrid system cannot provide energy to the powertrain.

I have none of those icons & no Hybrid gauge, so mine is a standard petrol model.

Very strange indeed.

That's not an MHEV.  The generator looks different to a conventional alternator.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

That's not an MHEV.  The generator looks different to a conventional alternator.

That's what I thought, mine is a standard ICE engine, but strangely with the later chain driven engine.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, agraham said:

This is what an mHEV motor/generator looks like

image.thumb.jpeg.c3fab6296df047d01c4604ab68a649c1.jpeg

Thars certainly different from mine & the fact I have no Hybrid info on my display.

Curious. I still have various Fiesta price lists downloaded from June 2020 onwards and the only 125/155 version that is shown without mhev is the 125 auto and even that went mhev eventually.

It's not unknown to get a "misbuild" - I've had a few in my time - but not come across this one before.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Curious. I still have various Fiesta price lists downloaded from June 2020 onwards and the only 125/155 version that is shown without mhev is the 125 auto and even that went mhev eventually.

It's not unknown to get a "misbuild" - I've had a few in my time - but not come across this one before.

Yes very strange, mine was registered May 2020, build date I'm unsure, but mine has the later chain driven unit, to much surprise to many Fiesta owners.

• Like 1

My 2020 is identical to OPs also a 125 non mhev manual revised chain engine also. Engine was build end of 2019 according the the sticker on it.

I was going to keep it at the end of the PCP term but it has been slowly drinking coolant the last year or so, and despite 2 failed O2 sensors, and the garage not finding any leaks or other issues and chalking it down to coincidence, I don’t feel I want to keep it sadly.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nismex said:

. Engine was build end of 2019 according the the sticker on it.

I have a price list from January 2020 and the engines listed include the 140 so still appear to be the original versions. Beginning to wonder if they proguced a batch with revised but pre-mhev engines (as originally used in the Focus Mk 4) before the mhev was officially shown in the lists.

I do like a good mystery!😃

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nismex said:

My 2020 is identical to OPs also a 125 non mhev manual revised chain engine also. Engine was build end of 2019 according the the sticker on it.

I was going to keep it at the end of the PCP term but it has been slowly drinking coolant the last year or so, and despite 2 failed O2 sensors, and the garage not finding any leaks or other issues and chalking it down to coincidence, I don’t feel I want to keep it sadly.

Hey that makes 2 of us, we have special builds LOL

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I have a price list from January 2020 and the engines listed include the 140 so still appear to be the original versions. Beginning to wonder if they proguced a batch with revised but pre-mhev engines (as originally used in the Focus Mk 4) before the mhev was officially shown in the lists.

I do like a good mystery!😃

This certainly is a mystery, I wonder how many other owners have these later engines??

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

That's the same engine as mine in the Focus Vignale March 2020. Glad it's none wet belt 👌

I recently purchased a Ford Fiesta 1.0 Titanium Ecoboost on a 20 plate, timing belt chain version from main dealers me and the salesman lifted the bonnet of three fiestas same year until we found the one with a chain timing belt,he was very surprised lifting the bonnet is the only way to tell as there are no indication on the car to let you know .

• Like 3

Not wishing to be pedantic, but wonder if we should just stick to chain OR belt (as appropriate) when describing the cam drive. 

Noticed "chain timing belt" or "chain belt" has cropped up a few times now and the situation is confusing enough as it is.

• Like 3

Would anyone know if the oil pump drive is chain driven as well on the revised engines

No, it's belt driven. Though I haven't been able to establish whether they have made it easier to change on the chain version. On the belt version you need to remove the timing cover, the cam belt and the crankshaft pulley then drop the sump to get at the oil pump and its belt which would be a bit of a faff on the chain version.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, agraham said:

Though I haven't been able to establish whether they have made it easier to change on the chain version.

Not seen any specifics on the 1.0 chain cam oil pump belt, but had spotted something on the 1.5 version:

On 7/20/2023 at 2:30 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

On "another forum" specific to Fiesta STs (you know the one), there's a thread running which suggests that on the 1.5 at least, there's a bit more to it than that. As well as the sump, also involves work at the front of the engine including removing aux belt, timing chain cover, timing chain, timing pulley, balancer shaft pulley etc, which seems a fair bit of work and I guess would make it worthwhile renewing other parts (e.g. timing chain) while in there.

Haven't seen the same details on the chain cam 1.0 though so don't know if it's the same story there.

I think it was mentioned as being about a 5 hour job on the 1.5.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club