Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Tires you recommend for R19 wheels ?

coolissimo

Hi All,  I need to change 2 front tires , and wondering what tires you would recommend for 2.0, 180 hp Titanium? I was looking for tires had saw some options, quite  expensive thou. 

Was Thinking about the Goodyear 235/40 ZR19 (Y) 92 EAGLE F1 (ASYMMETRIC 2) or maybe the Bridgestone 235/40 R19 (96)W POTENZA S001 XL ( is more expensive) and the Bridgestone 235/40 R19 (96)Y TURANZA T005 XL ( also expensive) . Any suggestion something good but more affordable? Also if you suggest could you let me know why? 

Thanks in advance.

What's on there at the moment? Ideally you'll need 96 load rated tyres, the Goodyears you mention are only 92.

When I bought my car second hand 9 years ago, the prevoius owner put on Pirelli P Zero Nero GT's and they were ok, but I don't know what the equivalent is nowadays. Found the standard fit Bridgestone Pontenza RE050's hard a noisy when I bought a used set of wheels (originals were kerbed badly), but had good direction change due to hard sidewalls. I now use Michelin Pilot Sport 4S but these are not cheap, but my priority is grip. I rotate my tyres on the car regularly and on the previous set one pair lasted 14,000 miles and the other pair 17,000 miles. I'm happy with that as I can drive a bit enthusiastically.

Have a read of some tyre reviews here... https://www.tyrereviews.com/

I have run Michelin PS3's and now PS4's (albeit 18" on a Focus ST), good tyres, but as David points out, not cheap.  I also run a car with Continentals with which I have  no complaints and I believe come with deeper tread to start with.

At the risk of setting a hare running, I would either rotate to wear out all four at the same time, or put the new tyres on the rear.  Understeer is more benign compared to oversteer, as anyone who has driven a 2.8 Capri at any speed in the wet will confirm (so a friend told me !!).

which 

Put your reg in here then you will get an idea of the spec you require against how much you want to spend

https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiKfD9qK5_QIVBud3Ch0I6QJOEAAYASAAEgIiGvD_BwE

As Frembit says you need 96 load rating and I would also say for the Mondeo you need XL rating as well

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Frembrit said:

What's on there at the moment? Ideally you'll need 96 load rated tyres, the Goodyears you mention are only 92.

When I bought my car second hand 9 years ago, the prevoius owner put on Pirelli P Zero Nero GT's and they were ok, but I don't know what the equivalent is nowadays. Found the standard fit Bridgestone Pontenza RE050's hard a noisy when I bought a used set of wheels (originals were kerbed badly), but had good direction change due to hard sidewalls. I now use Michelin Pilot Sport 4S but these are not cheap, but my priority is grip. I rotate my tyres on the car regularly and on the previous set one pair lasted 14,000 miles and the other pair 17,000 miles. I'm happy with that as I can drive a bit enthusiastically.

Have a read of some tyre reviews here... https://www.tyrereviews.com/

Hi Frembrit, thanks for the answer, the car came with 235 /40/ZR19 TRACMAX X PRIVILO TX-3 , and  in the rear 235 /40/ZR19 Churchill RCB009. 

1 hour ago, Paulkp said:

I have run Michelin PS3's and now PS4's (albeit 18" on a Focus ST), good tyres, but as David points out, not cheap.  I also run a car with Continentals with which I have  no complaints and I believe come with deeper tread to start with.

At the risk of setting a hare running, I would either rotate to wear out all four at the same time, or put the new tyres on the rear.  Understeer is more benign compared to oversteer, as anyone who has driven a 2.8 Capri at any speed in the wet will confirm (so a friend told me !!).

which 

thanks for the answer, yes indeed not cheap. Also maybe I buy 4 tires instead 2.

45 minutes ago, TrevorB said:

Put your reg in here then you will get an idea of the spec you require against how much you want to spend

https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiKfD9qK5_QIVBud3Ch0I6QJOEAAYASAAEgIiGvD_BwE

As Frembit says you need 96 load rating and I would also say for the Mondeo you need XL rating as well

Hi Trevor thanks for the info and link.

8 hours ago, coolissimo said:

Hi Frembrit, thanks for the answer, the car came with 235 /40/ZR19 TRACMAX X PRIVILO TX-3 , and  in the rear 235 /40/ZR19 Churchill RCB009. 

I think those are pretty much budget tyres. If it was me I'd get a whole new set otherwise you're going to experience some weird handling characteristics running premium and budget tyres. Unfortunately it will cost you even more.

Keep an eye out for any offers or incentives though, I managed to get £100 cashback from Michelin when I last bought a full set.

And as Trevor mentioned, get XL rated tyres too (I get XL and 96 load rating).

• Like 1

Coolissimo, those tyres on your car are very basic and cheap, if it was me I would change them straight away for a decent brand - the difference in wet stopping distances is unbelievable comparing brand for brand

• Like 1

CrossClimate if they come in your size. Good safety ratings (especially in the winter) quiet , comfortable.

Not cheap, but

1. do you really want to put cheap tyres on when there is so much potentially at stake if you lose grip?

2. In my experience, they last longer than most other tyres, so overall, not any more expensive.

• Like 2

I opted for the Michelin PS 5s on the Focus and have no regrets and they are the same price as the 4's.

Screenshot_20230301-114904_Chrome.thumb.jpg.cf2f2d87128243f36ac36114e33af6f5.jpg

• Like 1

Pilot 4 Sport S. They currently do not do a S version in the 5's. I would go for 4 Sport S. The 5's are a newer model but not designed for sporty driving, and have a softer rubber, which means you will be replacing them sooner. 

Not much beats the Sport 4 Sport S (will have to see what the 5 Sport S looks like when they bring them out)

53 minutes ago, LukeJQuinn said:

Pilot 4 Sport S. They currently do not do a S version in the 5's. I would go for 4 Sport S. The 5's are a newer model but not designed for sporty driving, and have a softer rubber, which means you will be replacing them sooner. 

Not much beats the Sport 4 Sport S (will have to see what the 5 Sport S looks like when they bring them out)

The PS5 will probably last longer than the 4S. The 4S has a grippier compound which means more wear.

The 4S isn't really needed on a 2.0 Mondeo, no offence to OP, I just don't think a UUHP tyre is necessary. ST sure, I'll be sticking with the 4S on mine (although the Conti SportContact 7 is a better tyre, but I daily commute mine and appreciate the slight extra comfort of the PS4S).

This site is really good for comparisons and looking at what you get for different price points and you can work out what's best for your own priorities:

https://www.tyrereviews.com/

• Like 1

19s on a Titanium!?  My Dad had a Mk3 Ghia X that was ruined by 18's. 

Why are Ford obsessed with fitting oversized wheels & undersidewalled tyres to comfort models? :unsure: 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

19s on a Titanium!?  My Dad had a Mk3 Ghia X that was ruined by 18's. 

Why are Ford obsessed with fitting oversized wheels & undersidewalled tyres to comfort models? :unsure: 

iT's wHaT tHe pEoPlE wAnT...

Now take your crossover on 21" wheels and be grateful.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TrevorB said:

Coolissimo, those tyres on your car are very basic and cheap, if it was me I would change them straight away for a decent brand - the difference in wet stopping distances is unbelievable comparing brand for brand

Agreed, when I bought my 3 year old Focus ST, it came on fairly new Chinese tyres, dreadful reviews - they only lasted till a visit to Micheldever Tyres within weeks !

• Like 1

Cashback available for Michelin Click Here  👍

Note: Must be purchased from a participating dealer, Black Circles is on the list but my local independant isn't this time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, 

Thanks for all the answer and suggestions, great community here . I bought the Michelin 235/40 R19 (96)Y XL PILOT SPORT 4, at Costco , with a discount, so not to bad. 

Kind Regards

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club