Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK3 Diesel Focus repair costs

hiace_drifter

We've just had our focus in for annual service (2014, 70k miles), and have been given £1k+ of items that need fixing. I'd like to check we're not being ripped off - is there a list somewhere of items that need replacing/when (with costs) during a typical car's lifespan? Or shall I just post the specific items on here? Thanks.

There are so many variables that every car will need different repairs at different times.

As it's coming up to 10 years old, I suspect that quote includes a cambelt change?  

Please do post the list. :smile: 

4 hours ago, hiace_drifter said:

We've just had our focus in for annual service (2014, 70k miles), and have been given £1k+ of items that need fixing. I'd like to check we're not being ripped off - is there a list somewhere of items that need replacing/when (with costs) during a typical car's lifespan? Or shall I just post the specific items on here

Be thankful it's not a 1.0 Ecoboost, or the £1000 list would just be chicken feed compared to next years.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The work is as follows:

required

replace both front drive shaft oil seals - £300

replace aux drive belt £120

replace wing mirror (motor stopped working) £80

advisory:

replace both rear axel bushes £580

replace o/s/f inner tie rod £230 

2 hours ago, hiace_drifter said:

The work is as follows:

required

replace both front drive shaft oil seals - £300

replace aux drive belt £120

replace wing mirror (motor stopped working) £80

advisory:

replace both rear axel bushes £580

replace o/s/f inner tie rod £230 

They're taking the p*ss with the aux belt tbh.  The belt costs £20 and takes a couple of minutes to change. 

Mirror cost doesn't sound too bad if they're supplying the mirror.  Used one costs around £50 and again only takes a few minutes to replace.

Driveshaft oil seals aren't a common leakage point.  Has the clutch been changed?  They can get damaged during that process if so.  It is a long job, though at £300 I'm guessing this garage much charge a high hourly rate.

Rear axle bushes, common fault, as with above, not a quick job to change a cheap part, but £580 is absurd!

Overall I'd say you need to find a garage with a cheaper labour rate.  If you've got a few tools you can replace the aux belt and wing mirror yourself.  Driveshaft seals and axle bushes will always be expensive to change, but I'm sure you can probably halve the quote for the pair or them. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

They're taking the p*ss with the aux belt tbh.  The belt costs £20 and takes a couple of minutes to change. 

Mirror cost doesn't sound too bad if they're supplying the mirror.  Used one costs around £50 and again only takes a few minutes to replace.

Driveshaft oil seals aren't a common leakage point.  Has the clutch been changed?  They can get damaged during that process if so.  It is a long job, though at £300 I'm guessing this garage much charge a high hourly rate.

Rear axle bushes, common fault, as with above, not a quick job to change a cheap part, but £580 is absurd!

Overall I'd say you need to find a garage with a cheaper labour rate.  If you've got a few tools you can replace the aux belt and wing mirror yourself.  Driveshaft seals and axle bushes will always be expensive to change, but I'm sure you can probably halve the quote for the pair or them. 

Thank you, much appreciated. I used to go to a "generic" garage, but switched to this one as we had a Ford specific issue that needed special diagnostic equipment. I think I will get a quote from my old garage.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I have found an independent garage who will do 2 of the jobs much cheaper. Re the wingmirror - I think I can replace it myself, but there seems to be multiple options for spare part online. Temp sensor? Heated? Kerb light?

I know I have kerb light (I can see the light underneath the mirror), but I have no idea if it has heating/temp sensor. Any idea how to tell?

2 hours ago, hiace_drifter said:

I know I have kerb light (I can see the light underneath the mirror), but I have no idea if it has heating/temp sensor. Any idea how to tell?

If the old one is broken then just pull it apart. If there are two wires on the back of the mirror glass its heated.

If you find a small little sensor inside the mirror housing then it has a temperature sensor.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, unofix said:

If the old one is broken then just pull it apart. If there are two wires on the back of the mirror glass its heated.

If you find a small little sensor inside the mirror housing then it has a temperature sensor.

Cheers, thank you. Are eurocarparts ok for parts? For wing mirrors they have 2 brands: "Macht" or "OE quality". Are they much of a muchness despite price difference?

Nearly all UK Focus have heated mirrors

If it's only the adjustment motor that has broken, you can buy a replacement motor or fit a used one, they're all the same. 

The temperature sensor is on the LH mirror, underneath, it's a little black pimple

39 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

Nearly all UK Focus have heated mirrors

If it's only the adjustment motor that has broken, you can buy a replacement motor or fit a used one, they're all the same. 

The temperature sensor is on the LH mirror, underneath, it's a little black pimple

Its both the power fold that is intermittent, and the mirror "plate" adjustment left/right/up/down that is intermittent. Can you replace  the powerfold motor separately? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club