Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyres on Fiesta what causes this?

mitch84

Just now, alexp999 said:

Should be a 4 digit number (WWYY) in an oval/pill shape usually.

Yep as above found it 1019

• 4 months later...

Just an update I’ve stayed on the same set of tyres, but I’m ready to get a fresh set of 4 tyres now as don’t really want to use these into the winter to be honest.

Im likely going to use Halfords Tyres on the drive, I have a question that I’m unsure about,

When I checkout it asks if I want to add TPMS valve servicing for £7.99?

Should I add this?

Car is Fiesta 2019 plate, never had tyres replaced.

Thanks

Yes. You won’t be happy when the batteries in the sensors die. It’s best to have them serviced when they change the tires out.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Scottman said:

Yes. You won’t be happy when the batteries in the sensors die. It’s best to have them serviced when they change the tires out.

As above I read something that says the Fords have sealed in batteries and can last up to 10 years, not sure where I read that now.

1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

Are the batteries even serviceable?

I think they just replace the valve stems and such, doesn't mention anything about replacing the batteries. its £6.99 for this service, perhaps I should just add it.

The batteries aren't replaceable on these valves.  It'll just be the rubber valve stems which are held on by a single screw. 

£7 each does sound expensive for this but it could save the hassle of a slow leak and ultimately a replacement valve stem at some point over the next 5 years.  So maybe not such bad value when you look at it that way?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The batteries aren't replaceable on these valves.  It'll just be the rubber valve stems which are held on by a single screw. 

£7 each does sound expensive for this but it could save the hassle of a slow puncture and ultimately a replacement valve stem at some point over the next 5 years.  So maybe not such bad value when you look at it that way?

I decided not to bother as the pilot sport 5 are expensive enough. I will take the chance, it was only another £27 but still.

Can a new tyre be removed and put back on if something needs replacing like a valve stem?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mitch84 said:

I decided not to bother as the pilot sport 5 are expensive enough. I will take the chance, it was only another £27 but still.

Can a new tyre be removed and put back on if something needs replacing like a valve stem?

Yes, the tyre can be removed and refitted if it needs a new valve stem.  Tyre garages are likely to charge around £30 for that service nowadays though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Yes, the tyre can be removed and refitted if it needs a new valve stem.  Tyre garages are likely to charge around £30 for that service nowadays though.

Thats good to know, any issues at a later date and I would take it to a local garage then.

• Like 1

I think that the general theory is that the valve stems and the batteries will both “age out” at roughly the same time.

when I had new tires installed on my 2011 hatchback, it was not a big expense because I had one dead tpms when I was shopping for the replacement treads. So, I presumed that the others were not very long for this world anyway.

Got my pilot sport 5's fitted today, via tyres on the drive.

Just a silly question but is it best to let the tyres settle with the current tyre pressures before I go adjusting the pressures? The tyre fitters never get them precise, if anything I need to release some air.

• Like 1

You can adjust the pressures straight away.  They might drop a bit in the cooler temps overnight though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

They might drop a bit in the cooler temps overnight though.

On the newer version of Sync I have on the Mk 8.5, you can select "tyre pressures" as one of the options you can just scroll through on the information display.

It's interesting to see how the pressures vary by the odd psi between hot/cool days, and also on individual tyres if one is getting the sun more than the others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

On the newer version of Sync I have on the Mk 8.5, you can select "tyre pressures" as one of the options you can just scroll through on the information display.

It's interesting to see how the pressures vary by the odd psi between hot/cool days, and also on individual tyres if one is getting the sun more than the others.

Yep I had to reset that once new tyres were fitted as got the tyre pressure warning light.

I just this minute also set the pressures according to my cars info in the passenger door, they were around 33-34 in the front and 38 on the rears by the guy who fitted them.

Not a miles away on the fronts but released a lot on the rears, my fiesta states 33 on fronts and 26 rears (1-3 passengers).

Tyres pressures aside , TyresOnTheDrive were very good, on time and 4 new tyres fitted in just under an hour.

• Like 1