Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is this factory under seal that ford has applied?

CursedBones

I’m 18 hours in on wire wheeling and scraping the rust off my chassis & suspension before I paint it all. 

I was going to leave any of this undercoating that still looked in good condition but I’m starting to question if ford applied it? 

I know rubberised under seal, schutz, tar based undercoating etc is terrible as it traps moisture allowing the car to rot from underneath.

I hope that this isn’t that stuff because if it is then I’ve just had another 8 hours added to this job 😞

i did scrape some off and there was rust patches 

378D8AFE-7F07-4920-8D32-348878BEE180.jpeg

2 hours ago, unofix said:

Underseal.JPG

Hah! Whatever this stuff is.. it’s trapping moisture that’s for sure.

some kind of soundproofing? 

From the colour it looks non-standard to me - and it seems to have been smeared on by hand which I don't think they would do at the factory.

From the pic it looks like the same off white colour stuff that was on my 2007 fiesta . I had lots of patches where rust was creeping under it and I was picking bits off. Can’t remember what it’s like under my 2015 fiesta as I have not noticed rusty bits so I haven’t started picking bits of that rubbery stuff off. I got the 2007 fiesta when it was 5 months old with 1,600 miles on it so unlikely anything had been done after it left factory. 

On 3/5/2023 at 9:10 AM, agraham said:

From the colour it looks non-standard to me - and it seems to have been smeared on by hand which I don't think they would do at the factory.

I’m in the process of removing it and it’s an awful job 

On 3/5/2023 at 1:25 PM, isetta said:

From the pic it looks like the same off white colour stuff that was on my 2007 fiesta . I had lots of patches where rust was creeping under it and I was picking bits off. Can’t remember what it’s like under my 2015 fiesta as I have not noticed rusty bits so I haven’t started picking bits of that rubbery stuff off. I got the 2007 fiesta when it was 5 months old with 1,600 miles on it so unlikely anything had been done after it left factory. 

Honestly **** ford for putting this stuff on the car. Unbreathable material like this does more harm than good.

If you ever need to remove it, a heat gun/blow torch and scraper is the way to do it.

I am NOT having fun removing it 

36 minutes ago, LostNTransit said:

Correct, this is a spray on product used to under coating and for sound dampening. I wouldn't say it's a very professional job either.

100% not applied well! 10 hours of my time to remove it 

Come across similar on our Fiesta, spotted one bit and it was bulging, ripped it away only for water to run out and it was rusty as hell underneath, constant battle with our 10 plate fiesta now.

On 3/11/2023 at 9:40 PM, Ian Lanc said:

Come across similar on our Fiesta, spotted one bit and it was bulging, ripped it away only for water to run out and it was rusty as hell underneath, constant battle with our 10 plate fiesta now.

It comes off easily enough if you’d heat it up

• Like 2

On 3/9/2023 at 11:33 AM, LostNTransit said:

if you're looking to recoat this, it's going to be very difficult and you may end up with the same results as the liner or coating will peal or crack off. There isn't any way to prep the under carriage of the car, but you can try a self etching primer then use a bed liner. Preferably roll on bed liner this way you can roll on the textured paint product right where you need it. In order to get into hard to reach area or corners, use the spray bed liner like framing the walls of you home before you put the main coat on the more exposes surfaces.

We removed the fabric wheel well liners and went back with the self etching primer then the roll on bed liner. However I've yet to frame off those areas I painted but will do this this spring.

I have finished scraping all of the scale and loose paint off. I have also removed the soundproofing. 
I’m going to degrease it and then use POR15 metal etch primer followed by POR15 rust coat and then POR15 top coat. Hopefully it will last a few years at least 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club