Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk4 ST Line exhaust

Alex.S

My mk4s done nearly 50k miles a 2020 .. How many miles should I expect to get from the original factory exhaust? 
Also tyres , on the front I’ve got Michelin pilot sport , they’ve done about 9k miles and close to needing changed again already .. 😬 

I think you may need to slow down a little!! 😉 or fit normal tyres and learn how to deal with understeer!!!

• Haha 1

On 3/4/2023 at 4:35 PM, Alex.S said:

My mk4s done nearly 50k miles a 2020 .. How many miles should I expect to get from the original factory exhaust? 
Also tyres , on the front I’ve got Michelin pilot sport , they’ve done about 9k miles and close to needing changed again already .. 😬 

Short answer is I don't know.

My previous Focus (Mk4 Titanium) was two years old when I got it and I noticed spots of rust on the exhaust, on what I think is called the resonator (the fat bit before the final part). A salesman said the exhaust is supposed to be for the life of the car. Not sure I believe him.

My current MK4.5 Titanium is new (bought Sept 22, made in March 22 I think) and has spots of rust on part of the exhaust. It's the part right beneath where a rear passenger sits on the right. Three or four spots are visible, but nothing bad. Bit surprised though. I'll ask the dealer again.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, VFR800 said:

I think you may need to slow down a little!! 😉 or fit normal tyres and learn how to deal with understeer!!!

I don’t drive it like I stole it! 
the tyres from factory were pilot sport 4s . Got 18k miles out of them on the front . I was a bit disappointed with that.!   I’m used to middle range tyres .. less grip but gotta live within your means .. and they don’t need changing so often! 
It’s a lease car I have just now so it’s Michelin or Michelin.. 

cheers for the reply 

2 minutes ago, northern_nubie said:

salesman said the exhaust is supposed to be for the life of the car

That’s a bit of a claim that! Coming from a car salesman though .. BS to be expected .. 

How’s the 4.5? Compared to the 4 ? 

The exhaust is only mild steel, it will start discolouring after about 6 months.

Even the ST's tips are only the same mild steel, I've got some stainless tips for mine as they'd all gone brown.

How long it will last is going to be down to how it's treated. It won't last long if you've regular commute on salted roads and never wash it off, or do short journeys and let it rot from the inside due to the exhaust never drying out. On the other hand it could last the life of the car if it never sees salt and is always garaged.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

That’s a bit of a claim that! Coming from a car salesman though .. BS to be expected .. 

How’s the 4.5? Compared to the 4 ? 

I agree about the salesman.

Bit of a run down: In general I'm glad I changed to the Mk 4.5. It's a Style version, so it has Sync 3, not Sync 4. I'm happy with Sync 3, with its smaller screen and two physical knobs beneath it. I changed to a new car (first ever) because I want to keep it for many years, as I don't want an electric car or even hybrid. And also because there was an odd faint-ish clunk from underneath with my Mk 4 when changing up some gears - which the dealer said is "normal", which isn't true. On the new car the gears are sweet. (the gear stick is further to the left on the MK4 and 4.5 than in non-Ford cars, I find, and I used to find putting it into 2nd gear a bit awkward, but have largely got used to it).

As others here will confirm, I have a concern with the MK4.5's annoying cornering lights which you can't disable, but with the help of others here I may have come up with a workaround by keeping the front fog lights on. Trying it over the next few days.

• Thanks 1

Off topic, but I'll just add to my comment above - it was quite by chance that the used Mk4 was a Titanium. But I'm glad I came across it because I far prefer the smaller wheels and what feels like softer suspension. But I can of course see the attraction of the ST.

2 hours ago, northern_nubie said:

As others here will confirm, I have a concern with the MK4.5's annoying cornering lights which you can't disable, but with the help of others here I may have come up with a workaround by keeping the front fog lights on. Trying it over the next few days.

Has your mk4.5 got auto headlights? I ask cause to put the fog lights on you’d obviously need to have headlights on. So daytime you manual switch headlights on? 
I agree the cornering lights look good both on but I think they’re mainly for other drivers to see what direction you’re going at roundabouts especially. 🧐 Looks like all manufacturers are fitting them these days. 

2 hours ago, northern_nubie said:

Off topic, but I'll just add to my comment above - it was quite by chance that the used Mk4 was a Titanium. But I'm glad I came across it because I far prefer the smaller wheels and what feels like softer suspension. But I can of course see the attraction of the ST.

Yeah my STLX wheels and suspension make it bumpy to say the least. My choice over the titanium x was to get the 1.5l 182 engine. 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 6:20 PM, Alex.S said:

Has your mk4.5 got auto headlights? I ask cause to put the fog lights on you’d obviously need to have headlights on. So daytime you manual switch headlights on? 
I agree the cornering lights look good both on but I think they’re mainly for other drivers to see what direction you’re going at roundabouts especially. 🧐 Looks like all manufacturers are fitting them these days. 

I'm not so sure about the roundabout idea, because indicators are for that. And on the Mk4.5 the front indicators are huge, something a bit embarrssing to start with, but which I now quite like. And, as someone here said on another thread, the front fogs are not for visibility (as I had wrongly assumed) but to throw extra light on the road. And indeed mine do that, rather than point forward.

Yes, mine have an Auto setting. I don't manually put the dipped headlights on in the day. I leave it in the Auto position. And from now on, at night, I will put it on the manual dipped setting and turn on the fogs. This is to stop the fogs coming on with each turn of the steering wheel. Cornering lghts, as I now understand them to be, not adapative, as I at first thought. So the title of the thread below is incorrect. 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 6:20 PM, Alex.S said:

I think they’re mainly for other drivers to see what direction you’re going at roundabouts especially

...and that is exactly the reason I turned my cornering lights off. Many of the roundabouts in my area (and probably across the country) have the approach to them such that you have to steer to the left as you approach. This causes the left corning light to illuminate, but at the same time it's possible to be indicating right as that is the true direction you intend to travel.

I have witnessed two near misses at night on the same roundabout near where I live. You could tell by the driver exchanges that both parties were confused by actions of the other. I can't explain why but I find my vision tends to be drawn to look at the cornering light on a vehicle  rather than checking for an actual indicator.

The same affect happens with those vehicles that dim there DRL on the side that the indicator flashing. My vision is again distracted by the super bright DRL on the none indicating side. In conclusion if those who dream up these light regulations truly think that cornering lights are a real benefit at night then simply have both lights operate at the same time.  Similarly for those vehicles that dim the DRL during the day, then have the system dim both DRL's while an indicator is on.

I need a lie down in a dark room now 🤣

• Like 4

1 hour ago, unofix said:

... if those who dream up these light regulations truly think that cornering lights are a real benefit at night then simply have both lights operate at the same time.  

I think even I would put up with that, and possibly even like it. Instead of the 'flicking' effect of one being on, then off, etc.

Slight tangent - some manufacturers now have indicators which are hard to see during low light when the tail lights and headlights are on, or if the sun is reflecting off the cluster. Yet, ironically, in user guides and in promotional material they push the idea of lots of safety features. Some features are good, but many I suspect are to basically try to get a competitive advantage in the mind of potential buyers. "Buy this car, it's stuffed with safety features!"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, unofix said:

I can't explain why but I find my vision tends to be drawn to look at the cornering light on a vehicle  rather than checking for an actual indicator.

No, me neither (probably some deep-rooted primeval thing) but I tend to find likewise - your attention is drawn to the most significant thing ie the brightest light in this case. 

4 hours ago, unofix said:

and that is exactly the reason I turned my cornering lights off.

Didn’t think they could be switched off ? 🧐 

…..

E6EBC363-EA70-41C6-9CC0-5C30416B1543.png

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Didn’t think they could be switched off ?

Less than a 10 minute job with FORScan, takes longer for the laptop to boot up than to make the change 🤣

• Like 1

Going back to exhausts, shame they do not sell stainless steel, when I lasted looked, only sports exhaust were, the back box is on show and not hidden, something for me to polish in the nicer weather.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, unofix said:

Less than a 10 minute job with FORScan, takes longer for the laptop to boot up than to make the change 🤣

It really is pretty poor from Ford that they won't disable them for customers who don't like them.

Disabling cornering lights has absolutely no advantage to yourself . Also every drivers brain gives indicators priority over cornering lights without even thinking about it. And the DRLs dimming while indicators on is same with every manufacturer.