Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's this? Airbag blues.

johnjohn10

Hello everyone. 

I have an 08 2.0 tdci galaxy auto, the airbag light came on and won't go off. I've done a bit of reading and understand there's some stuff under each seat that's related to the airbags, so here's a photo of under my passenger seat with a disconnected wire, is this airbag related? In case it is related to airbags I dare not touch it without disconnecting the battery first, I know, but can anyone say what this is?

Also I've pulled the airbag fuse it's not blown, but the installed fuse amp is 5 and the manual says it should be 10, might that cause an airbag light on? I also noticed the heater stopped working when I pulled that fuse, is that normal? Seems odd as it's only one fuse and not connected to the heater. 

Thank you! 

DSC_0043.JPG

Screenshot_20230308-211118.png

Airbag and related component wiring and connectors are usually yellow coloured as a general rule so that they can be easily Identified and not removed by mistake.

It is difficult to see from your photos if that is the case with the one that concerns you.

1 hour ago, Tizer said:

Airbag and related component wiring and connectors are usually yellow coloured as a general rule so that they can be easily Identified and not removed by mistake.

It is difficult to see from your photos if that is the case with the one that concerns you.

Hey thanks. 

The wires that are off are white. Yes I had heard they would be yellow if to do with airbag, but I couldnt find any yellow housing or wires.

Seems a bit odd that set of wires in the photo are so exposed like that as well, those are all facing the foot well and at the front of the seat. 

• Sad 1

If one wire is plain white and the other is white with a blue tracer then they are the Canbus communication wires.

What DTC's are you getting when you use FORScan ?

I could only see both white, I did look. Well if it's all black housing though its not airbag is it? Thank you for your help. 

I dont have a FORscan. 

Can anyone tell me why the heater stopped working when I took out the airbag fuse? 

• 3 weeks later...

Better picture of the small black box underneath the seat, I have pulled the cover off this is inside. The brown female square is the one the 2 wires appear to be disconnected from at the front piece I've taken off. Another strange thing is the wires cut outside the box are white but the cut wires on the connector in the box are both grey. 

DSC_2182.JPG

The wire that comes off of the seat belt connector has been connected to wires that come out of the loom from under the carpet, the ones with the tape on them in the photo. I've taken the tape off and checked the connections they are soldered together and still good. 

DSC_2183.JPG

59 minutes ago, johnjohn10 said:

Better picture of the small black box underneath the seat, I have pulled the cover off this is inside. The brown female square is the one the 2 wires appear to be disconnected from at the front piece I've taken off. Another strange thing is the wires cut outside the box are white but the cut wires on the connector in the box are both grey. 

DSC_2182.JPG

OK so the top left, grey box, is where those 2 cut wires originate from at the back, so they are not connected to anything, but have 2 wires going into them at the front top left when face of assembly is put back together. Looks like a greyish blue wire and a ground coloured one, anyone know what they are for? And the fact the seat belt wires have been soldered to a set of wires coming off the loom, like what has someone done there? Are the seat belt wire connected to the srs system? 

OK so I got a OBD2 and forscan and I get this B0072:13
Passenger Seatbelt
Pretensioner “A”
Deployment Control:
Circuit Open. 

Added a picture. 

So the wiring under the seat in the photos does have something to do with this, can anyone tell me what been done there? Thank you 

16798523966046272342494545669088.jpg

Not sure if I'm looking at this wrong but aren't there 2 white wires laying on the floor?  Looks like they've been cut off somehow.  

Personally I'd pull that plug, strip a bit off the white wires and put them directly the the pins in the plug.  

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Not sure if I'm looking at this wrong but aren't there 2 white wires laying on the floor?  Looks like they've been cut off somehow.  

Personally I'd pull that plug, strip a bit off the white wires and put them directly the the pins in the plug.  

Those wires are coming from the top left corner, from the back of the grey box/female receptor, which the front cover male part when plugged in has a blue gray colour wire and a ground coloured wire. See the pics. Anyone know what that is for? Then the wires that come off the seat belt have been soldered to a set coming out of the loom at the floor. 

11 hours ago, johnjohn10 said:

Those wires are coming from the top left corner, from the back of the grey box/female receptor, which the front cover male part when plugged in has a blue gray colour wire and a ground coloured wire. See the pics. Anyone know what that is for? Then the wires that come off the seat belt have been soldered to a set coming out of the loom at the floor. 

Ok thanks.  Struggling to get my head around it without being able to see it directly.  I don't know the wire colours so can't help with those.

You asked if the seatbelt wires are connected to the SRS system and the answer is yes.  The system needs to know if the belt is plugged in or not.  Airbags can cause more harm than good if you're not wearing a seatbelt.

B0072 fault code is for the seatbelt pre-tensioner.  This is a small explosive in a tube that pulls the belt tight in the event of a crash.  These can either be mounted to the seatbelt anchor (clasp, whatever you call it) or the seatbelt reel.  I've pulled this pic from eBay, albeit for a Focus instead of a Galaxy.  Can you see if something similar is fitted to your seat, and if so, are the wires connected?

Picture 1 of 4

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Ok thanks.  Struggling to get my head around it without being able to see it directly.  I don't know the wire colours so can't help with those.

You asked if the seatbelt wires are connected to the SRS system and the answer is yes.  The system needs to know if the belt is plugged in or not.  Airbags can cause more harm than good if you're not wearing a seatbelt.

B0072 fault code is for the seatbelt pre-tensioner.  This is a small explosive in a tube that pulls the belt tight in the event of a crash.  These can either be mounted to the seatbelt anchor (clasp, whatever you call it) or the seatbelt reel.  I've pulled this pic from ebay, albeit for a Focus instead of a Galaxy.  Can you see if something similar is fitted to your seat, and if so, are the wires connected?

Picture 1 of 4

Ah that's very helpful, yes that is the shape of the connectors, they different colours but yes this will help I think. I will look later on. 

Do you know what ohms this system needs? I'm looking at a resistor, is 2.5 ohms OK? 

Thanks for your help! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, johnjohn10 said:

Do you know what ohms this system needs? I'm looking at a resistor, is 2.5 ohms OK? 

I don't know what size these need unfortunately.

7 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

B0072 fault code is for the seatbelt pre-tensioner.  This is a small explosive in a tube that pulls the belt tight in the event of a crash.  These can either be mounted to the seatbelt anchor (clasp, whatever you call it) or the seatbelt reel.  I've pulled this pic from ebay, albeit for a Focus instead of a Galaxy.  Can you see if something similar is fitted to your seat, and if so, are the wires connected?

Picture 1 of 4

The wire from the seat belt is wired to the 2 wires coming up out of the floor, in the photo I took. 

16799329940128109944120460634542.jpg

I see what they've done, those two that have been cut used to be connected to the wires the seatbelt is now wired to directly as in the previous picture. There's nothing plugged in behind those two cut ones now so that would be where the seat belt wire plugged in. So I guess something wrong with the connectors so this was the solution. I have taken the tape off and checked the connections they are still Good, soldered together. So why the open circuit b0072 fault? 

16799340923822627447455702258758.jpg

The white wires that have been cut come from the back of of the front 2 that I have circled in red, anyone know what they are for? So that incoming feed what ever it is for has been disconnected, that is what this 2 white disconnected wires come from. 

_20230327_173507.JPG

Disconnected the battery drained the capacitors left off for 15 minutes, took the front of that plastic array with the wires in the photos off put wd40 on the airbag connectors also pried the seatbelt faster thing apart a bit looked at the connectors in there look fine pushed em done a bit to be sure, still connected, sprayed wd40 in there too. Reconnected battery start up airbag light still there. 

Scanned with FORScan same fault code b0072, reset the Restraint control module successfully, light still on. 

Reset all adaptations just in case, light still there. 

Is it possible that the seat belt mechanism is broken or something? Seems a pretty simple set up, I'd replace the whole thing pretensioner and all I don't see what's wrong with this one, what else could be wrong? Maybe those white disconnected wires are part of this system? Anyone know where they go what they're for? I've also sprayed wd40 inside the actual fastener part and run the other part of the seat belt the one that connects intonit, in and out many times, no change. 

9 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Picture 1 of 4

Hey Tom I've seen a post from you in another thread, added screenshot below. So for sure there is a an open circuit in the wires from the seatbelt fastener? could it be in the wires that come off the loom from under the carpet? Where do those wires go to? Open circuit could be a exposed wire anywhere along the length of the wires yes? 

Screenshot_20230327-191441.png

22 minutes ago, johnjohn10 said:

Hey Tom I've seen a post from you in another thread, added screenshot below. So for sure there is a an open circuit in the wires from the seatbelt fastener? could it be in the wires that come off the loom from under the carpet? Where do those wires go to? Open circuit could be a exposed wire anywhere along the length of the wires yes? 

Screenshot_20230327-191441.png

Those two white wires are definitely open circuit.  Sadly I just don't know what they're for on your car without physically being there to trace them.

Open circuit is fully broken.  Exposed would be more likely to 'short' against something metal.

Can you unplug the other plugs on the seat, switch the ignition on and run Forscan to see which fault codes that creates?

One should be belt pretensioner, one should be seat airbag, and the other is probably a weight sensor so it knows when someone's sitting on that seat.

22 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Those two white wires are definitely open circuit.  Sadly I just don't know what they're for on your car without physically being there to trace them.

Open circuit is fully broken.  Exposed would be more likely to 'short' against something metal.

Can you unplug the other plugs on the seat, switch the ignition on and run Forscan to see which fault codes that creates?

One should be belt pretensioner, one should be seat airbag, and the other is probably a weight sensor so it knows when someone's sitting on that seat.

There are only 3 receptor/female plugs inside to the plastic box to make a circuit, the airbag one, the ones that have been cut at the box that are now soldered together with the wires from the seatbelt fastener, and the ones that connect to the disconnected white wires you say are the open circuit. So out of the only 3 possible connections inside the black plastic box, the only one connected in the box and running a circuit is the airbag one. 

I've disconnected the battery and waiting to take that black thing apart again to use forscan and take a photo. How long should I wait? I've read different things about that, or can I just pull it apart without disconnecting the battery

Isnt it the wiring the same on every 08 tdci ford galaxy? The two wires that go into the box from the loom that connect to the 2 white wires that are the open circuit, aren't they labelled somewhere? I have been looking to try and identify the plastic box so I can call it the proper name when searching and those wires but I can't find it yet. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club