Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Driving in snow

Bobr

I've got a Fiesta with a double clutch gearbox which has a sport mode.   We have several inches of snow here now so does anyone know if the car can be started in second gear?

Should be able to, but to hold it you will need to be in sport mode first, then select gear two

I THINK that you can start in 2nd in Drive too. But just try it when you venture out. 

16 hours ago, alanfp said:

I THINK that you can start in 2nd in Drive too. But just try it when you venture out. 

You can, but it will automatically default back to "D" in 3 seconds.

"S" and two holds two

• Like 1

Digressing slightly Bob, some years ago a lot of snow here, even in Hampshire. My neighbour had a newish car with electronic handbrake and traction control.

He could not move it.  Apparently the wheels would not turn because traction control said it was too slippy, and the handbrake did not come off because the wheels would not turn !  I was never sure if he was telling the truth, or did not want to go to work!

I was the only one to get out of our close, which is uphill for about 400yds, and did it by going backwards in my old Puma !

In the 80s, I owned a Fiesta XR2, I tried driving out of my street (uphill) in deep snow, dam thing wouldn't get any grip whatsoever and just wheelspun and stayed stationary. However, as I sat in my sporty car, I was overtaken by an elderly Citroen 2CV. Taught me alot then about the viability of having skinny tires!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Paulkp said:

He could not move it.  Apparently the wheels would not turn because traction control said it was too slippy, and the handbrake did not come off because the wheels would not turn !  I was never sure if he was telling the truth, or did not want to go to work!

That is exactly the reason that TC can be turned off, either with a button or in a dash setting.  You need to allow a bit of slip in snow or you'll never go anywhere.  You can also manually release an electric handbrake regardless of the road conditions.

So either not very car savvy, or wanted a day off lol.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Taught me alot then about the viability of having skinny tires!

Yes, a small car on relatively skinny tyres (such as the Mii we have now, or the old Ka), would be my weapon of choice for snow. The 205/45s on the Fiesta are useless.

The Citroen ZX Turbo D I had many moons back as a company car also had narrow tyres (by today's standards - 175/65) and was great on snow.

• Like 3

Of cars that I have owned, the favourite would be a V6 Sierra XR4x4, the one I'd avoid woud be a 2.8 Capri !

These days I have a set of winter tyres for the Fiesta, carry a snow shovel, and tubs of rock salt.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StephenFord said:

However, as I sat in my sporty car, I was overtaken by an elderly Citroen 2CV. Taught me alot then about the viability of having skinny tires!

Reminded me of this clip...

https://youtu.be/q5Ohx-hjNN0

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Paulkp said:

...the one I'd avoid woud be a 2.8 Capri !

Let me guess, the back end swung out when going moderately round a roundabout! I did that once, scared the bejesus out of me LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Let me guess, the back end swung out when going moderately round a roundabout! I did that once, scared the bejesus out of me LOL

And that's on a dry road! 🤣🤣

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Don't need a 2.8 Capri for that, lol. I managed it in a Morris 1000 (leccy board pool car) on a slightly damp roundabout in Huddersfield in 1971.😃

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Don't need a 2.8 Capri for that, lol. I managed it in a Morris 1000 (leccy board pool car) on a slightly damp roundabout in Huddersfield in 1971.😃

I regularly did it in my triumph vitesse but that was on purpose. Oh, and forgot to say rwd transit chassis cabs are excellent at drifting round roundabouts ( apparently) 

• Haha 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club