Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Save or Scrap?

ferdymayne

2011, 1.6 diesel on 80k miles in great condition. Bonnet has blown back and new bonnet, front wings and windscreen needed. Repairs will be £1800 at a good local bodyshop. To buy an equivalent would be about £4500. Some opinions say scrap it, take the money (about £1500) and buy something else. I reckon that to get the repair and and run it for years would be saving me about £3k and the faff of finding another good one. Seems like the obvious answer. Am I missing anything here?

5 minutes ago, ferdymayne said:

Am I missing anything here?

A new bonnet catch ? 🤔

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Don't need a body shop for bolt-on parts.  Bonnet & wings are easy to change and could be sourced second hand unless it's a rare colour.

Windscreen will depend on spec, if it's just a Zetec should be cheap, if you've got rain sensors and particularly the camera & radar pack then that'll be more expensive.

• Like 1

Why is it going to cost you ? Does your insurance not cover it ? 

Perhaps I'm missing something here ( apart from brain cells) 🤔

• Haha 1

If he can source the bolt-on parts surely the windscreen will be covered in his insurance with a nominal excess.

• Like 1

Might not be fully comp - if so, can't claim on your own car and glass generally isn't covered.

But even if it is fully comp, the extra premium cost over the next few years for an at fault claim on body parts wouldn't be worth it.

Windscreen would be worth it as that shouldn't affect future costs much.

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Might not be fully comp - if so, can't claim on your own car and glass generally isn't covered.

But even if it is fully comp, the extra premium cost over the next few years for an at fault claim on body parts wouldn't be worth it.

Windscreen would be worth it as that shouldn't affect future costs much.

I'd fully expect my insurance company to sort it out regardless. That's what you pay it for. Small.minor bits then yeah, I'd sort it myself.

3 minutes ago, Wino said:

I'd fully expect my insurance company to sort it out regardless. That's what you pay it for. Small.minor bits then yeah, I'd sort it myself.

No it isn't.  Third party insurance is a legal requirement in case you damage someone else's property.

You can opt for fully comp if you think you'll damage your own car and want to be covered for that.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

No it isn't.  Third party insurance is a legal requirement in case you damage someone else's property.

You can opt for fully comp if you think you'll damage your own car and want to be covered for that.

My bad lol. I was referring to fully comp insurance. Never had 3rd party and not really something I'd consider.

19 minutes ago, Wino said:

My bad lol. I was referring to fully comp insurance. Never had 3rd party and not really something I'd consider.

With an 18 year old car, it's definitely something I'd consider, however, at last renewal, 3rd party was only £20 cheaper! I went fully comp...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ferdymayne said:

2011, 1.6 diesel on 80k miles in great condition. Bonnet has blown back and new bonnet, front wings and windscreen needed. Repairs will be £1800 at a good local bodyshop. To buy an equivalent would be about £4500. Some opinions say scrap it, take the money (about £1500) and buy something else. I reckon that to get the repair and and run it for years would be saving me about £3k and the faff of finding another good one. Seems like the obvious answer. Am I missing anything here?

scrap it 

2nd hand bonnet catch

2nd hand bonnet, hinges and wings

Phone autoglass and claim windsceen as cracked due to stone chip damage, if you're fully comp, after new parts fitted.

I'm at a loss as how the bonnet flung open though??

Is the secondary latch missing too?

• Like 1