Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2.5 Focus 1.6 TDCI Battery

TomsFocus

Never thought it would be such a mission to get the correct battery for one of these!

Can someone who's either still on the original or recently fitted a new battery (which works ok) tell me exactly which one they have?  The 3 letter size code, the AH and the CCA.

I'm getting different specs from every website.  And after directly contacting one of the biggest battery sites they tell me I need an EFB battery....despite no Mk2 ever having stop start!! :rolleyes:

Thanks

I can confirm 100% that the original factory fitted battery by Ford was manufactured for them by Varta.

It was:-

Ford Finis code 1 672 942

Silver Calcium

60Ah    590Amp

Mk2 battery.JPG

Mk2 Focus.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What size code?  I've seen 100, 096, 010 & 075 all shown for Mk2 so far.

17 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

What size code?

Size code T6    see page 7 of the Ford battery manual below

size.JPG

• Thanks 1

Looks like there's not a huge amount of choice for silver calcium in 100/T6 size.

SuperBatt - £80 - SuperBatt SB100 - 12V 75AH 700A Car Battery fits FORD Car & Van Calcium Silver | eBay

Varta - £90 - FORD Car & Van Silver Calcium TYPE 100 Battery VARTA E43 12V 72AH 680A 4yr wrnty | eBay

Or the Lion Calcium Calcium, same as already fitted

Lion  - £61.20 (with code) - Lion Car Battery 100 12V 3 YEAR GUARANTEE 70AH 620CCA 0/1 B13 Spare 444771001 | eBay

Bearing in mind this is literally just to get the car roadworthy, MOT'd and then sold.  Currently unsure if private sale or car buying service until MOT is done.  Looks like I'll end up with another Lion at those prices.  I just don't feel comfortable leaving the next owner with a potential battery issue again the near future.

• Like 2

If you were keeping it I'd go for the Varta, but since you hope to be moving this on very quickly I think fitting the Lion  is probably the best way to go.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

**Update**

Tried to measure battery height a week ago and came up with around 190mm.

Realised that must mean 096 fitment instead of 100 fitment.  And with 096 being cheaper I decided to go for one of those.

Fast forward to today, prepping the bay ready for someone else to to lift the batteries out & in, and thought the battery on the car moved a bit too easily.  Turns out it's only an 075!

Oddly, 075 should be 175mm tall, same as 100, so I don't know how I measured 190mm.  Must be the shape of the battery box.

Anyway, as I can't lift these, and to save wasting relatives time, can anyone confirm that the 190mm tall battery (096 code) will still fit under the clamp?

• Like 1

No one know?  Sure I've read that both 096 & 100 were fitted...but I don't know if they used different boxes or brackets?  

Will either need to order a deeper bracket urgently or pay more for another battery today.  Looks like the only Calcium that Halfords have in stock for collection is another 075.  Not really big enough but I'm not paying double for a 100 EFB when the car doesn't have stop start.

Tom, have you put your VIN into Catcar ?

It shows loads of batteries, lids,  and three battery boxes, with one of them being a diesel/ST/RS fit, but if you have entered your VIN it might show the correct fit, and if you google the correct FINIS code, then you may get the correct 3 digit alias.

I must admit, that because I have a good long term relationship with my local Ford parts man, I have bought batteries from them, as they then match Halfords prices.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks Paul,

I spent a good hour or so on 7zap last night trying to cross reference the part numbers but couldn't work out which parts would fit a taller battery, hence asking again here out of desperation!

I have now measured the battery box though, and can confirm the 190mm battery will not fit with this box and clamp.  As a last resort, with this being time critical before the MOT, my relative is collecting a battery from Halfords as we speak and I'll return the other one (hopefully).

Halfords don't sell a 100 calcium.  So the choice was either an EFB at £150 or a calcium the same 'wrong' 075 as I've just removed for £75.  (Both pre trade discount).  My conscience isn't exactly comfortable with it but I've gone for the small one based on cost alone. 

Cost to return incorrect battery - £11.52. :sad:   

For anyone else reading this - 096 and 100 are NOT the same fitment!