Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Sometimes Takes It Time To Turn Over

fiesta_lad

Hi all i drive a fiesta 1.3i endure e engine petrol on a 51 plate what it is sometimes now and again the car takes it time to turn over now me thinks it might be the battery on its way out i would have to get that tested or its the starter motor because iam haveing a few problems with that at the moment regards to a loud clicking noise when i go to start the car what can this be.

Thanks alan.

loud clicking sound ?

is it when you try and start the car ?

if the battery is low on power then you will struggle to turn the engine over.if the battery is below a certain voltage then you will get a clicking sound off the solenoid..

best to put some leads over the terminals of the battery from a multi meter.

battery voltage should be over 12.4 when engine not running + over 14.5 ish when the engine is running without lights on.

if its not showing at least 14 with the engine running then i would suspect a faulty alternator.

if the battery is not holding a charge then best to just replace it with a new one.

If its the original Ford low maintenance battery, its worth checking the cells and topping them up with some distilled or de-ionised water, you might get a few more years out of it !

Use a large flat bladed screwdriver to unscrew the caps and don't be tempted to use tap water.

You can get de-ionised water from most large supermarkets for about £1.50 / litre and you can give the rest to your mum for her steam iron :D

Also, there should be an indicator above one of the centre cells, it will probably be black or red, its an indicator of battery condition but its just for the 1 cell, so not 100% accurate for battery condition.

If its the original Ford low maintenance battery, its worth checking the cells and topping them up with some distilled or de-ionised water, you might get a few more years out of it !

Use a large flat bladed screwdriver to unscrew the caps and don't be tempted to use tap water.

You can get de-ionised water from most large supermarkets for about £1.50 / litre and you can give the rest to your mum for her steam iron :D

Also, there should be an indicator above one of the centre cells, it will probably be black or red, its an indicator of battery condition but its just for the 1 cell, so not 100% accurate for battery condition.

Its a motorcraft battery i think its been in the car scence it come out of the factory. i have topped all the cells up a number of times with distilled water iam getting it tested today so see what happens thanks alan.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club