Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Vehicle on the road has the wrong plates on ?

Ian Lanc

Today we encountered a dangerous driver, reg plate was YG09 XNN on a black BMW hatchback,
on checking this car out via Gov.UK for road tax/MOT/Insurance, the car came back as a Black Mini.

Is there anyway this can be reported ? Police maybe ?

MOT
https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ConfirmVehicle?locale=en

TAX
https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ConfirmVehicle?locale=en

Insurance.
https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/#

Probably best to call 101 for this.  Your local police website may also have an online form you can use.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Probably best to call 101 for this.  Your local police website may also have an online form you can use.

Missus took a pic of that actual car.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, unofix said:

BMW Mini ?

Plate was on this sort of BMW.

s-l1600 (4).jpg

• Like 1

If someone transfers a plate in uk(although that does not look like a typical type of plate you would transfer) does it show up straight away on the dvla websites we can access or is there a time lag?  

Slightly off topic, a bit more akin to non policing of temporary tags in USA, if I bring to the uk a car from another country, how long would I be able to drive it on the foreign plates for?   Cars dont have passports so how would a policeman know how long the car had been in uk. I am in England.  Is this a common problem in Ireland / Northern Ireland. 

2 minutes ago, isetta said:

Slightly off topic, a bit more akin to non policing of temporary tags in USA, if I bring to the uk a car from another country, how long would I be able to drive it on the foreign plates for?   Cars dont have passports so how would a policeman know how long the car had been in uk. I am in England.  Is this a common problem in Ireland / Northern Ireland. 

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/temporary-imports

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, isetta said:

If someone transfers a plate in uk(although that does not look like a typical type of plate you would transfer) does it show up straight away on the dvla websites we can access or is there a time lag?  

From experience it can take a couple of weeks. I know our previous Focus did, whether that's changed within the last 4/5yrs I dunno.

7 minutes ago, Turvey said:

I thought the bit where it suggests you show the policeman a ferry ticket as evidence a bit laughable.  Do ferry tickets show reg no?  I don’t know , I haven’t taken a car on a cross channel ferry for 35 years. But I suppose the main point seems to be that if you are a British resident you can’t drive a car with a foreign plate on it, or can you, is it a No if I bought the car, but a yes if it is a foreign friend’s car here on a temporary visit? I don’t really know. But I suspect that if I bought a foreign registered car here, as long as I did nothing wrong I would never get stopped as anpr can’t check mot tax insurance on foreign registered cars. And if I got stopped I could just speak in Greek and then the police would give up.   I’m not really going to do this. 

My wife’s new Puma 7 months ago, when we got home we noticed the plates were different from the paperwork. Checked on dvla and it came back as a red Skoda.

contacted the dealer and turns out the plates were made wrong with a letter wrong. Ooops

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, isetta said:

I think it is one year

15 hours ago, RL123 said:

My wife’s new Puma 7 months ago, when we got home we noticed the plates were different from the paperwork. Checked on dvla and it came back as a red Skoda.

contacted the dealer and turns out the plates were made wrong with a letter wrong. Ooops

Must be something about Pumas...

I was buying a old Thunder in 2009, and it was displaying the private plate.  The dealer wanted me to take it on the day (!) despite the fact that it had yet to be re-registered, so I would be driving around in a car with a plate that now belonged to a Fiesta !  I declined.

Buying bits from Ford required the old number for quite a while.

I miss that car, 8 years, 80k mile added, a fun drive especially with the Eibachs I fitted.

17 hours ago, isetta said:

... Is this a common problem in Ireland / Northern Ireland. 

No, however driving a car with Northern Ireland plates through Dublin during the 'troubles' was always an anxious time! Also vice versa, a Southern registered car driving up north was always quite suspicious!

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club