Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coilovers Or Springs

Gazjs

Making a decision on coilovers or springs to lower my Mk6 about 35mm. I say about as I am unsure what I want, which is why I am thinking on coilovers. What are the best makes of both, and what sort of price can i expect to pay?

It's totally dependent on how much you want to spend and what you are lowering the car for.

if your lowering for cosmetic reasons go for springs, much cheaper, same look as coilovers, noticeable ride improvement.

best springs for 35mm lowering are Eibach (£150 ish)

gaz i would say your best option if you want to keep the costs down is just to use springs. my mate has Eibach's (i think) on his mk6, the progressive rate ones and they are spot on. as said above, around £150 or maybe even less.

It's totally dependent on how much you want to spend and what you are lowering the car for.

if your lowering for cosmetic reasons go for springs, much cheaper, same look as coilovers, noticeable ride improvement.

best springs for 35mm lowering are eibach (£150 ish)

It sounds like springs it should be then, im only after closing up the arch gap (not too fussed about performance)

gaz i would say your best option if you want to keep the costs down is just to use springs. my mate has Eibach's (i think) on his mk6, the progressive rate ones and they are spot on. as said above, around £150 or maybe even less.

Does the 35mm look good on the Mk6 and ok for speed bumps etc? Do you no anywhere in Kirkcaldy that isn't Ford that do reasonable fitting costs?

It sounds like springs it should be then, im only after closing up the arch gap (not too fussed about performance)

Does the 35mm look good on the Mk6 and ok for speed bumps etc? Do you no anywhere in Kirkcaldy that isn't Ford that do reasonable fitting costs?

yes they do look good, an are not a problem for speed bumps - im sure you wont be battering over them at like 30mph? :lol:

are you not friends with michael p who has the white fiesta st? i thought he was a mechanic :lol:

other than that although i cannot promise that they will fit them is A.D tyres opposite the old renault dealer. any work i cant do myself, tyres and mot all goes there, i will admit im not there often but they are brilliant in there and will no way try to push you into anything they dont think is needed or whatever.

yes they do look good, an are not a problem for speed bumps - im sure you wont be battering over them at like 30mph? :lol:

are you not friends with michael p who has the white fiesta st? i thought he was a mechanic :lol:

other than that although i cannot promise that they will fit them is A.D tyres opposite the old renault dealer. any work i cant do myself, tyres and mot all goes there, i will admit im not there often but they are brilliant in there and will no way try to push you into anything they dont think is needed or whatever.

Thanks for the info :) I think I will almost stall at how slow I would go over bumps haha.

Yeah, never thought of asking him :lol: he has actually lowered his ST by 40mm recently but has problems with bumps, although im sure the ST is already 15 mm lower than mine so would need to lower quite a bit to reach that

Thanks for the info :) I think I will almost stall at how slow I would go over bumps haha.

Yeah, never thought of asking him :lol: he has actually lowered his ST by 40mm recently but has problems with bumps, although im sure the ST is already 15 mm lower than mine so would need to lower quite a bit to reach that

ha, well you wont have any problems for sure then :lol: i was going to lower the focus 30mm using eibachs but in the end i couldnt be bothered although i am insured for it as being lowered lol. im not going to bother doing anything to it now either as im hoping to get a mondeo st tdci next year and will problably spend some cash on that putting it up to around 200bhp but thats another story for another day :lol:

at a guess i would say the average garage excluding ford would be around £100 to fit the lowering springs? plus whatever to have the geometry checked, although i would rather get this done at a garage that can check everything and not just the 'tracking' last time i had it done it was £40 but it was well worth it. i reckoned that doing my car working on the ground was going to take me about 4-5 hours. its not a hard job is just takes ages working on the ground, couple of hours at a garage should be plenty though

:lol:

Surely you would be best telling the insurance its not lowered, save yourself some money :lol:

Thanks for all the help, time to phone some garages around :D

:lol:

Surely you would be best telling the insurance its not lowered, save yourself some money :lol:

Thanks for all the help, time to phone some garages around :D

hah yeah true, although its all paid for now and no doubt they wont give me anything back.

i would give A.D tyres a call and see what they say, i would also phone fife auto centre in hayfield, barry is usually pretty good and usually offers a fair price.

you could always invest in a socket set and a big hammer :lol:

did you manage to get any prices gaz? for the springs and someone to fit?

Found Springs for £131 posted (Eibach Pro (Also seen Sportline, major difference?)). Although, was talking to someone today who said I am cheaper with coilovers because I will need to buy better shocks ? :(

Found Springs for £131 posted (Eibach Pro (Also seen Sportline, major difference?)). Although, was talking to someone today who said I am cheaper with coilovers because I will need to buy better shocks ? :(

not sure of the difference?

standard shocks will be absolutely fine at 35mm, my mate has had his mk6 on the eibachs for over 3 years now with no shock problems or even hints of.. with coilovers you only get what you pay for so they would cost alot of money for a good set.

How much are shocks if I was to upgrade? expensive? They would only affect the ride comfort?

for a good set of shocks you can probably add atleast £200 to the cost of your springs, and generally you loose alot of ride comfort in doing so too as they tend to be firmer and will feel a bit harsh.

Got Quoted £120 to fit and advised just to leave shocks alone

atleast i got the total of £250 correct :lol:

sounds good mate, who's that quote from then?

The price im after is just for fitting and aligment yes?

yup thats it, i take it they are ok about fitting customer supplied parts? some garages are a bit iffy about it.

yup thats it, i take it they are ok about fitting customer supplied parts? some garages are a bit iffy about it.

Kwik Fit - Only fit there own parts

Farmers - Wont do Suspension

Drive In - £130

Fife Autocentre - £180

Tyre Shop - £120 (Booked in a week on Monday)

Just to order the springs now and hope they come in time :lol:

Kwik Fit - Only fit there own parts

Farmers - Wont do Suspension

Drive In - £130

Fife Autocentre - £180

Tyre Shop - £120 (Booked in a week on Monday)

Just to order the springs now and hope they come in time :lol:

hah, yeah farmers should leave suspension well alone, they are useless at everything else...

sounds good though mate :)

A big box arrived today with my 35mm Eibach Pro-Kit :D

Now just to wait until Monday for fitting and the results. Hoping the 35mm looks as well as I hope it will

I hope it does look like that, that looks really good, not 2 much yet not 2 little.

There will be plenty of pictures :D

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club