Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Timing belt kit

Redz0121

Hi guys I need a bit of help. One of the pulleys are on its way out when I open the bonnet and take the cover off the engine you can’t miss the noise so I’m gonna do the belt and put a new one on. The problem I’m having is I can’t find the right kit. My car is a focus 1.8 tdci on a 57 plate. Could anyway let me no which kit I would need and also does the alternator have a pulley as it could be one of them which I can change at the same time. I don’t have the kit to listen to which pulley it is so just gonna have to change them all if I can. Any help would be great thank you. 

This sounds more like you have a problem with the auxiliary drive belt and/or pulleys, NOT the timing belt.

2 hours ago, Redz0121 said:

and also does the alternator have a pulley as it could be one of them

This makes me think that you perhaps should get someone to take a look at your engine before you do something that might just kill it.

FOCUS forum:

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/forum/2-ford-focus-club/

• Like 1

FYI you seem to have a habit of putting all your posts in the 'general ford related discussion' section, but they really belong in the 'focus' section.

No offence intended but despite all of the other parts you have apparently changed yourself per other threads, which is commendable btw, you're a long way off from convincing me that you're sufficiently competent to properly pull off a timing belt change. Do you even have any idea how to change the other belts?

I don't know where to start...

Okay firstly, you're probably finding it difficult to find a timing kit, considering your reference to "belts", because your engine does not have a timing belt... Your engine uses a timing chain instead.

It is not clear to me that you have any understanding of what the different belts are, so let's clarify:

1. If you have AC then you have a small rubber stretch belt that goes around the crankshaft pulley and AC pump pulley.
  2. You have a larger 'auxillary'/'serpentine' rubber stretch belt that goes around the crankshaft pulley, the water pump pulley, the alternator pulley, and the power steering pump pulley (assuming your model has belt driven PS like mine, I'd have to double check).
  3. A timing belt (aka. "cambelt") or timing chain goes around a cog on the crankshaft and drives the two camshafts via the camshaft sprockets. There is also a tensioner (in the case of a belt this is a spring loaded pulley) that puts the belt/chain under tension. This belt/chain is hidden away under a cover.
  4. For the record you also have a chain driven oil pump.

Yes, the alternator has a pulley.

In terms of the list of pulleys and pulley like things that you have, this includes:

• The crankshaft pulley, and you better hope that thing is good and tight.
  • The camshaft sprockets, likewise
  • The water pump pulley, which really is just a plate bolted onto the pump's impeller shaft
  • The alternator pump pulley, which is a part of the alternator unit, though I guess you could technically perhaps replace it in terms of refurbishment, but that's not typical
  • The power steering pump pulley, likewise
  • The AC pump pulley, likewise
  • You'd also have a timing belt tensioner pulley if you had a timing belt, as above, which you don't

Do you really have the money to burn just casually replacing all of this stuff in the hope you get lucky and fix the noise?

What next... Oh, you really don't need a special tool to identify the source of such a noise.

I don't see why you'd need to remove the vanity engine cover to be able to hear a noise from the belts/chain.

Perhaps if I came and helped you, you could pay me all the money I've saved you. 🙃

• Like 1

8 hours ago, unofix said:

This sounds more like you have a problem with the auxiliary drive belt and/or pulleys, NOT the timing belt.

This makes me think that you perhaps should get someone to take a look at your engine before you do something that might just kill it.

FOCUS forum:

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/forum/2-ford-focus-club/

Yes you could be right. As I’ve not had many diesels or a focus before I wasn’t to sure. I’ve changed timing belts on other cars I’ve had in the past and the noise is coming from around the same place. Don’t get me wrong I fix all my own cars but I’m no mechanic the car is on 127000 and no paper work telling me when the belts/chain was last serviced so when I have a day off work the weekend I’ll have a good look but mate nice one for the info as I said not had many diesels or a focus so was unsure if it was a belt or chain 👍

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rd457 said:

Okay firstly, you're probably finding it difficult to find a timing kit, considering your reference to "belts", because your engine does not have a timing belt... Your engine uses a timing chain instead.

This is misleading.  The 1.8 TDCI uses both a belt & chain on early models.  And a belt & wetbelt on later ones.

7 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

This is misleading.  The 1.8 TDCI uses both a belt & chain on early models.  And a belt & wetbelt on later ones.

Ah, okay. I did have a sudden realisation this morning that I'd said this based upon my Petrol manual whereas this might've been a diesel. ☺️

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, rd457 said:

Ah, okay. I did have a sudden realisation this morning that I'd said this based upon my Petrol manual whereas this might've been a diesel. ☺️

If you still have the Mk2 1.6 petrol, that uses a belt as well.

The 1.6 & 2.0 diesels also a belt in the Mk2 Focus.

3 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

If you still have the Mk2 1.6 petrol, that uses a belt as well.

Indeed, I just totally blanked and stupidly based my response upon the 1.8 Mk2 petrol when this is a 1.8 diesel.

• Like 1

@Redz0121 So to correct myself having embarrassingly talked out of my *****...

From the looks of things on youtube (I lack the diesel manual), the 1.8 Mk2 tdci has two timing systems in tandem, a "lower" one and an "upper" one. The lower one is directly driven by the crankshaft, it drives a fuel injection pump and also drives the upper system. The upper one drives a single camshaft. The upper one uses a belt and a spring-loaded tensioner pulley. The lower one is either a chain or a 'wet belt' (belt running through oil) with a guide rail and tensioning pin. I believe the chain design was used up to 2008 and then they switched to the wet belt. The upper belt and wet belt both have replacement intervals of 120,000 miles or 10 years apparently.

You can supposedly tell which you have on the lower system, chain vs. welt belt, by the colour of the tensioner pin of the lower system, black vs. shiny. It looks like the pin is located behind the crankshaft pulley.

This video gives lots of useful info about it, but fails to clearly show where to locate the pin:

This one shows where the pin can be found:

It may be helpful if you could make a video for us of the engine bay when the noise is occurring.

12 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

This the info I’m getting online. When I put my redg in it’s coming up with a belt but only way to find out is to take the cover off. The car is on 127000 miles so for peace of mind I’m gonna do the belt/chain as I have no clue to the last time it was done. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Redz0121 said:

This the info I’m getting online. When I put my redg in it’s coming up with a belt but only way to find out is to take the cover off. The car is on 127000 miles so for peace of mind I’m gonna do the belt/chain as I have no clue to the last time it was done. 

Are you not seeing my replies or just ignoring them?

As I just wrote, there are two timing systems on your Mk2 1.8 tdci, the upper one uses a belt, and the lower one either a chain or wet-belt, and you can determine which for the latter depending upon the colour of the tensioner pin bolt head so no need to guess...

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 9:03 AM, TomsFocus said:

I have just picked up a stethoscope so when I get round to it I will pin point which pulley is the problem. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club