Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 2008 1.6tdci 109bhp no boost/power

Simple2512

Hey I’m new to this forum and need some advice 

Any help would be appreciated problems started after lack of maintenance from previous owner engine sludge which led to oil leaks then sounded like a “machine gun” my friends a mechanic he changed the oil flushed engine fixed the leak etc but ever since I’ve had no power like the turbo has no boost ???? I’ve recently cleaned and re seated injectors and new copper washers replaced fuel filter Airfilter Maf sensor Egr valve I have no lights on dash and my ob2 code reader showed up no codes when cold and Rev idle it it’s 3000rev then it’s like a kind of a resistance Any help much appreciated domt want to scrap this car as it’s a lovely car 

On 3/16/2023 at 6:23 PM, Simple2512 said:

Hey I’m new to this forum and need some advice 

Any help would be appreciated problems started after lack of maintenance from previous owner engine sludge which led to oil leaks then sounded like a “machine gun” my friends a mechanic he changed the oil flushed engine fixed the leak etc but ever since I’ve had no power like the turbo has no boost ???? I’ve recently cleaned and re seated injectors and new copper washers replaced fuel filter Airfilter Maf sensor Egr valve I have no lights on dash and my ob2 code reader showed up no codes when cold and Rev idle it it’s 3000rev then it’s like a kind of a resistance Any help much appreciated domt want to scrap this car as it’s a lovely car 

Please help guys 

You're most likely not getting any responses simply because no-one has any useful suggestions to offer. Don't feel ignored.

I have no experience with diesels and have nothing useful to suggest to you myself other than to say that you may benefit from a better OBD tool. Not all tools can process all OEM specific codes and not all tools can access the auxiliary Ford MS-CAN bus. Get something like an OBDLinkEx, or VGate vLinker, or a cheap ELM327 with MS-CAN switch, and use the ForSCan software. Perhaps this setup might give you some codes or other useful data.

• Thanks 1

Turbo may be worn from lack of lubrication when the oil was thick & sludgy.

As above though, get some Ford specific diagnostics on it before wasting any more time & money.

• Thanks 1

Normally if a car will not rev above 3000 rpm it is because it is in Limp Mode and the Check Engine light will be on, unless the previous owner has masked it.

It is easy to see if your Engine is getting the Boost from the Turbo that it should when driving by Live Monitoring with FORScan, with either the Laptop or phone version. Much cheaper than replacing parts that are probably not faulty and not as difficult as it sounds with the right advice.

If you do decide to go down that route then get back and I'll tell you what to look for regarding the expected Boost Pressures.

21 hours ago, Tizer said:

Normally if a car will not rev above 3000 rpm it is because it is in Limp Mode and the Check Engine light will be on, unless the previous owner has masked it.

It is easy to see if your Engine is getting the Boost from the Turbo that it should when driving by Live Monitoring with FORScan, with either the Laptop or phone version. Much cheaper than replacing parts that are probably not faulty and not as difficult as it sounds with the right advice.

If you do decide to go down that route then get back and I'll tell you what to look for regarding the expected Boost Pressures.

Thank you for the feed back and tips   I removed the turbo and the end back off it was clogged in soot also before removing I had smoke escaping from under the heat shield could this be my manifold gasket ?  

23 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Turbo may be worn from lack of lubrication when the oil was thick & sludgy.

As above though, get some Ford specific diagnostics on it before wasting any more time & money.

Thank you 

On 3/18/2023 at 7:26 PM, rd457 said:

You're most likely not getting any responses simply because no-one has any useful suggestions to offer. Don't feel ignored.

I have no experience with diesels and have nothing useful to suggest to you myself other than to say that you may benefit from a better OBD tool. Not all tools can process all OEM specific codes and not all tools can access the auxiliary Ford MS-CAN bus. Get something like an OBDLinkEx, or VGate vLinker, or a cheap ELM327 with MS-CAN switch, and use the ForSCan software. Perhaps this setup might give you some codes or other useful data.

Great thank you for this advice 👍🏻

2 hours ago, Simple2512 said:

Thank you for the feed back and tips   I removed the turbo and the end back off it was clogged in soot also before removing I had smoke escaping from under the heat shield could this be my manifold gasket ?

If you leave the Heatshield off then it will be easier to see where the smoke is coming from and you may be able to tell if the noise is coming from the Turbo as well.

Given what you have said about the condition of the oil and as Tom said, the Turbo has probably become damaged  from the lack of lubrication. Your Mechanic friend should be able diagnose whether it is or not.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

DPF isn't blocked is it..?

Mine was sluggish but did have the management light on. It was giving a soot error. Once cleaned it was fine..

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club