Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tourneo Custom - electrical issues

ssm2200

Hi everyone, thanks for accepting the join request! I have a 2018 Tourneo Custom in black with what some might consider a tacky red stripe. Yes it's a throwback to some 80 legends. Wife not imoressed but I do at least get some smiles. Large family necessitated this as a daily commuter and Ive really enjoyed until recently. 

Earlier this week my adblue warning came on, no issue I thought 1000 miles to resolve. I didnt fill up but continued to drive, a day or so later with only 50 miles added the light went off. A day later again I notice left indicator is x2 sounding speed. I suspect a bulb, check and my nearside headlight DRL is out as is the indicator and dipped beam in the same unit. Offside headlight is functioning normally. 

I check connections and realise its not power as full beam does work. Very odd. Stranger yet I think to myself I wonder if that adblue warning was a sign. I top up the adblue with engine off but ignition on and the nearside headlight comes on and works as normal. I was hoping that was it but today its back as before with drl, dipped beam, nearside indicator not working. Full beam does work and indicator works at the rear and in the wing mirror. I also now seem to have lost side mounted brake lights but the spoiler brake does work.

I am well out my depth in terms of testing anything. I disconnected the battery earlier but no difference. 

Ive read plenty about water damage and the BCM but is that not directly under the steering wheel? I dont see how that could get wet.. We have had a fair bit of rain recently but nothing obvious in the engine bay by way of obvious leaks. 

Totally stuck now as we rely on this to get about and earliest I can find anyone to look is Thursday. 

Otherwise this drives fine and Ive not noticed any other electrical issues. The stop start does often not come on which I think may be due to the battery. The battery was replaced by ford only a year or so ago. I will try to test that to make sure its not the issue.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated. 

Many thanks 

Simon 

All the electrical circuits that you say have faults are directly controlled by the BCM. The headlight Main beam is not directly controlled by the BCM and possibly explains why it is still working.

The BCM is part of the passenger compartment fuesbox, not sure the location on your vehicle but on most it is located behind or near to the glovebox.

The water ingress problem is not something that affects 2018 vehicles but it is quite possible that one of the connectors of the BCM has become partly disconnected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, unofix said:

All the electrical circuits that you say have faults are directly controlled by the BCM. The headlight Main beam is not directly controlled by the BCM and possibly explains why it is still working.

The BCM is part of the passenger compartment fuesbox, not sure the location on your vehicle but on most it is located behind or near to the glovebox.

The water ingress problem is not something that affects 2018 vehicles but it is quite possible that one of the connectors of the BCM has become partly disconnected.

Thanks very much unofix. Ive found the BCM in my vehicle as yoi indicate its actually under the steering wheel and to the right and certainly not likely to be effected by water ungress. 

The BCN is not the easiest to access. Ive checked all the cables I can, they seem secure. 

The headlight connection (at the headlight) is definitely I guess I'll need to get a multimeter and see if there is power there when there should be. Im fairly sure there wont be but unsure of what specific are comes out of the BCM to the headlight to check there. I'll try and find a diagram. 

Many thanks 

Simom

2 hours ago, unofix said:

Thanks very much unofix. Ive found the BCM in my vehicle as yoi indicate its actually under the steering wheel and to the right and certainly not likely to be effected by water ungress. 

The BCN is not the easiest to access. Ive checked all the cables I can, they seem secure. 

The headlight connection (at the headlight) is definitely I guess I'll need to get a multimeter and see if there is power there when there should be. Im fairly sure there wont be but unsure of what specific are comes out of the BCM to the headlight to check there. I'll try and find a diagram. 

Many thanks 

Simom

This looks to be the BCM diagram for my vehicle, can anyone please help identify what relates to the nearside headlight so I can check connection fuses? 

Screenshot_20230318_182954_Chrome.jpg

2022-04-05-14.56.26~2.jpg

BCM

Check connector C2280C and C2280B

If you would like I can upload the full Ford schematic to my Google drive ?

There is a major amount of information so you will need to read through the wiring schematic carefully. 

C2280.JPG

Headlight.JPG

12 minutes ago, unofix said:

BCM

Check connector C2280C and C2280B

If you would like I can upload the full Ford schematic to my Google drive ?

There is a major amount of information so you will need to reed through the wiring schematic carefully. 

C2280.JPG

Headlight.JPG

Thanks so much, I'll check these specifically. 

I can't pre pretend I really understand the diagrams but will give anything you can share a good read see if I can make sense of it.. 

5 minutes ago, ssm2200 said:

anything you can share a good read see if I can make sense of it.. 

Here is the link direct to my Google drive with the full schematic:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_CfLisBNy7eUT9tN0Jk9WO4t7A7Mlpoa/view?usp=sharing

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, unofix said:

Here is the link direct to my Google drive with the full schematic:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_CfLisBNy7eUT9tN0Jk9WO4t7A7Mlpoa/view?usp=sharing

Got them thank you, you were not kidding plenty to look through. 

I've tried those two connectors on the BCM, they seem ok. Fuses on the passenger fuse board for the BCM also look ok. Having looked through, I don't obviously see fuses for the nearside/offside headlights or rear brake lights. I'll keep looking, seems an odd mix of things not working; nearside headlight indicator/DRL/dipped beam and now both rear brake lights but not the spoiler high mounted one. 

I'll get the battery tested to make sure its putting out what it should and look through the diagrams you sent to try and work out what happens after the BCM on the way to the nearside headlight and the rear brake lights. 

Thanks again, much appreciated

Simon

39 minutes ago, ssm2200 said:

, I don't obviously see fuses for the nearside/offside headlights or rear brake lights.

There are no fuses for any of those circuits, they are electronically protected by the BCM.

Personally I'm 99% certain that the fault is the BCM.

7 minutes ago, unofix said:

There are no fuses for any of those circuits, they are electronically protected by the BCM.

Personally I'm 99% certain that the fault is the BCM.

I see from the diagram and if I am reading correctly the exterior mirrror LH comes from C02280G as does the high beam. Both work. Indicator, low beam and DTRL are from C02280F and C02280E and dont. I get lost after that and still dont understand why one side works and the other doesnt if they come from the same place. 

Thanks for the advice, I'll start shopping for a new BCM as it does seem likely. Disappointing on a less than 5 year old vehicle. I see they are available second hand but need cloned? 

• Like 1

It is important to understand that the Body Control Module is a computer in it's own right with the ability to switch and control individual outputs. The vehicle uses a communication system Canbus to send commands over a two wire control network to various modules around the vehicle.

A fault within the BCM can result in one or more circuits failing to be controlled and activated when commanded, for example by the headlight switch. Some circuits because of there high current demand are only partly controlled by the BCM and still use a traditional relay to make the final power connection, like the High Beam headlights.

Like all equipment the failure of just a single component can have a major effect on the overall operation. Even NASA have failures, so age and complexity doesn't make systems immune to problems.

2 hours ago, ssm2200 said:

I see they are available second hand but need cloned? 

Before obtaining a replacement BCM you should use a laptop and FORScan software to check for any DTC's and also carry out a module test/reset. You will also need FORScan in order to programme a replacement BCM if one is needed.

FORScan:- https://forscan.org/download.html

vLinker FS - connection cable:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vgate-vLinker-Adapter-FORScan-MS-CAN/dp/B0952P4MLP

• Like 1

18 hours ago, unofix said:

Before obtaining a replacement BCM you should use a laptop and FORScan software to check for any DTC's and also carry out a module test/reset. You will also need FORScan in order to programme a replacement BCM if one is needed.

FORScan:- https://forscan.org/download.html

vLinker FS - connection cable:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vgate-vLinker-Adapter-FORScan-MS-CAN/dp/B0952P4MLP

Hi Unofix, thanks very much for this information. I'd already ordered a scanner before getting your message. I'm waiting on the one you suggested later today and presume this will be better for my vehicle given the Forscan Interface v1.5 that arrived this afternoon says it might not be right for my vehicle. I have used it though just to read the fault codes and got the results as follows

I'm still trying to interperet but probably assuming it is the BCM as you suggested? Would you recomend clearing code and resetting the BCM?

Many thanks

Simon

===TCM DTC None===
Successful DTC reading, no error codes found

Module: Transmission Control Module

===END TCM DTC None===

===PCM DTC None===

Module: Powertrain Control Module

===END PCM DTC None===

===OBDII DTC None===

Module: On Board Diagnostic II

===END OBDII DTC None===

===APIM DTC None===

Module: Accessory Protocol Interface Module

===END APIM DTC None===

===DCDC DTC None===

Module: DC to DC Converter Control Module

===END DCDC DTC None===

===PAM DTC U0401:00-28===
Code: U0401 - Invalid Data Received from ECM/PCM A

Status (-28):
 - Previously Set DTC - Not Present at Time of Request
 - Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

Module: Parking Aid Module

===END PAM DTC U0401:00-28===

===BdyCM DTC U300A:01-08===
Code: U300A - Ignition Switch

Additional Fault Symptom (:01):
 - General Electrical Failure

Status (-08):

Module: Body Control Module

===END BdyCM DTC U300A:01-08===

===BdyCM DTC B12E8:11-48===
Code: B12E8 - Liftgate/Tailgate Control/Release Switch

Additional Fault Symptom (:11):
 - Circuit Short To Ground

Status (-48):
 - Test not complete

===END BdyCM DTC B12E8:11-48===

===BdyCM DTC B1D00:11-08===
Code: B1D00 - Left Low Beam

Status (-08):

===END BdyCM DTC B1D00:11-08===

===BdyCM DTC U3007:16-08===
Code: U3007 - Control Module Input Power 'B' Circuit / Open

Additional Fault Symptom (:16):
 - Circuit Voltage Below Threshold

Status (-08):

===END BdyCM DTC U3007:16-08===

===BdyCM DTC U3013:16-08===
Code: U3013 - Control Module Input Power 'C' Circuit / Open

Additional Fault Symptom (:16):
 - Circuit Voltage Below Threshold

Status (-08):

===END BdyCM DTC U3013:16-08===

===BdyCM DTC B1147:15-48===
Code: B1147 - Left Front Fog Lamps

Additional Fault Symptom (:15):
 - Circuit Short To battery Or Open

Status (-48):
 - Test not complete

===END BdyCM DTC B1147:15-48===

===BdyCM DTC B1148:15-48===
Code: B1148 - Right Front Fog Lamps

Additional Fault Symptom (:15):
 - Circuit Short To battery Or Open

Status (-48):
 - Test not complete

===END BdyCM DTC B1148:15-48===

===BdyCM DTC B124B:11-08===
Code: B124B - Left Daytime Running Light

Status (-08):

===END BdyCM DTC B124B:11-08===

===BdyCM DTC B124A:11-08===
Code: B124A - Right Daytime Running Light

Status (-08):

===END BdyCM DTC B124A:11-08===

===BdyCM DTC B11DB:08-08===
Code: B11DB - battery Monitoring Module 'A'

Additional Fault Symptom (:08):
 - Bus Signal/Message Failures

Status (-08):

===END BdyCM DTC B11DB:08-08===

===BdyCM DTC B148D:11-08===
Code: B148D - Stop Lamps Output

Status (-08):

===END BdyCM DTC B148D:11-08===

===TRM DTC U2100:00-2F===
Code: U2100 - Initial Configuration Not Complete

Status (-2F):
 - DTC Present at Time of Request

Module: Trailer Module

===END TRM DTC U2100:00-2F===

===ABS DTC None===

Module: Antilock braking system

===END ABS DTC None===

===RTM DTC None===

Module: Radio Transceiver Module

===END RTM DTC None===

===PDM DTC None===

Module: Passengers Door Control Unit

===END PDM DTC None===

===DDM DTC None===

Module: Drivers Door Module

===END DDM DTC None===

===RCM DTC None===

Module: Restraint Control Module

===END RCM DTC None===

===HVAC DTC None===

Module: Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning

===END HVAC DTC None===

===ACM DTC None===

Module: Audio Control Module

===END ACM DTC None===

===SCCM DTC U0415:87-28===
Code: U0415 - Invalid Data Received from Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Control Module 'A'

Additional Fault Symptom (:87):
 - Missing Message

Status (-28):

Module: Steering Column Control Module

Freeze Frame  #1:
-MODULE_VOLTAGE: 14.5 V - Control Module Voltage
===END SCCM DTC U0415:87-28===

===IPC DTC None===

Module: Instrument Panel Control Module

===END IPC DTC None===

===GWM DTC None===

Module: Gateway Module A

===END GWM DTC None===

That's a lot of DTC's but most of them are  codes beginning "Ux xxx" which at this stage can just be ignored. There are other codes that are most likely old and were possibly caused in the past by things being disconnected.

Best course of action is to first clear all DTC's and then wait and see which of them return after 24 hours.

Don't do a BCM reset just yet, wait until you see which DTC's come back.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, unofix said:

That's a lot of DTC's but most of them are  codes beginning "Ux xxx" which at this stage can just be ignored. There are other codes that are most likely old and were possibly caused in the past by things being disconnected.

Best course of action is to first clear all DTC's and then wait and see which of them return after 24 hours.

Don't do a BCM reset just yet, wait until you see which DTC's come back.

OK i've reset them all having taken a printout of what was there for reference. Now all I get on re-scanning is 

Code: U2100 - Initial Configuration Not Complete

Status (-2F):
 - DTC Present at Time of Request

Module: Trailer Module

The same issues still persist ie no nearside DRL, dipped beam, indicator or rear stop lights except for the high mounted one. 

Are you using the vLinker FS cable ?

It looks like you are not reading the MS Canbus, only the HS.

3 minutes ago, unofix said:

Yes that arrived so I'm using that. I compared the intial DTC reads I posted and they were exactly the same. The other cable I bought had a switch between MS and HS. I don't see that option with the vLInker FS cable and I've not been prompted to read the MS Canbus?

9 minutes ago, unofix said:

Not sure if this helps answer that query?

image.thumb.png.f2a315af945761e98efe62dfa90c960d.png

• Like 1

vLinker FS cable is fully automatic, it will change between MS and HS as and when it requires.

If you used the other cable first it will have saved your vehicle profile with the ELM327(modified) lead.

You need to make a new profile next time you connect with the vLinker FS cable. When the message pops up saying it's found your vehicles profile and would you like to load that, answer No. Then it will do a full rescan of all modules including any that were missed by the other cable.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, unofix said:

vLinker FS cable is fully automatic, it will change between MS and HS as and when it requires.

If you used the other cable first it will have saved your vehicle profile with the ELM327(modified) lead.

You need to make a new profile next time you connect with the vLinker FS cable. When the message pops up saying it's found your vehicles profile and would you like to load that, answer No. Then it will do a full rescan of all modules including any that were missed by the other cable.

Ah, I see, I have created another profile and run it again with the vLinker FS Cable. Still only the Trailer DTC for now. 

That's what its scanning now, does that include the MS Canbus?

image.thumb.png.1d3a72befec8abcaa1d34eff78a88c79.png

• Like 1

Yes that's everything 👍

Has the vehicle got a towbar fitted ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, unofix said:

Yes that's everything 👍

Has the vehicle got a towbar fitted ?

Yes, local Ford dealer fitted it but I've never used it. I see it indicates not initially setup properly?

Back to basics !!  Sorry but I need to ask quite a few questions 🙄

1. Have you got a digital multimeter ?
  2. Can you measure the battery voltage with the engine running at a fast idle ?
  3. What is the situation with the brake lights ?
  4. Please confirm both High Beam headlights work as normal ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, unofix said:

Back to basics !!  Sorry but I need to ask quite a few questions 🙄

1. Have you got a digital multimeter ?
  2. Can you measure the battery voltage with the engine running at a fast idle ?
  3. What is the situation with the brake lights ?
  4. Please confirm both High Beam headlights work as normal ?

No need to apologisze, most companies would be delighted to have technical support like yours!

1. Yes - a cheap one, electronics not my forte

2. I thought about trying this but when I looked at the battery under the seat one of the terminals wasn't exposed. I thought I could possibly do from the engine bay as one terminal available there but I wasnt sure what to use as a ground for the other. I can look to remove that surround over the battery under the drivers.

3. Top spoiler mounted brake light works, the two side mounted ones within the taillight/indicator clusters do not

4. Yes High beam both sides work. High beam on the nearside headlight the only thing working there, the right side is headlight is fully operational. 

43 minutes ago, unofix said:

Can you measure the battery voltage with the engine running at a fast idle ?

32 minutes ago, ssm2200 said:

. I thought about trying this but when I looked at the battery under the seat one of the terminals wasn't exposed. I thought I could possibly do from the engine bay as one terminal available there but I wasnt sure what to use as a ground for the other. I can look to remove that surround over the battery under the drivers.

The Screenshot from FORScan was taken with the Engine running and shows 14.6 Volts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club