Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Upgrade

Ty7832

I've got mk2 2005 1.6 petrol focus what sort of things can I do to upgrade the power that isn't to expensive?

Nothing.  You either need a diesel or a turbo petrol for easy power increase mods.

• Like 2

Can you add a turbo to the engine or does that engine not support having one

Just now, Ty7832 said:

Can you add a turbo to the engine or does that engine not support having one

You can with enough time and money, but it wouldn't be worth it.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ty7832 said:

I've got mk2 2005 1.6 petrol focus what sort of things can I do to upgrade the power that isn't to expensive?

You could remove the back seat, and spare wheel. Follow the Colin Chapman (LOTUS) ethos of adding lightness :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Nothing.  You either need a diesel or a turbo petrol for easy power increase mods.

I've just looked a Superchips map for the 1.6 will add 9 BHP (8%) over their measured standard. I can't comment whether you would feel the difference. The downside is it's £400, although currently around £250 due to a discount. 

https://www.superchips.co.uk/ECU-Remap/Ford/Focus-MK2-2004-2011/Petrol/Sport-1-6-99-bhp/stage-1

13 minutes ago, Jim H said:

I can't comment whether you would feel the difference. The downside is it's £400, although currently around £250 due to a discount. 

https://www.superchips.co.uk/ECU-Remap/Ford/Focus-MK2-2004-2011/Petrol/Sport-1-6-99-bhp/stage-1

"Tuning your Ford ECU will unleash your engines maximum potential..."

Hard to argue with that, you should end up with a rocket machine!

• Haha 1

I think having a bit too much for lunch would be enough to undo that maximum 9 hp potential. I honestly wouldn’t waste the money on mapping it.

Putting the money towards better tyres would have a more meaningful benefit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Putting the money towards better tyres would have a more meaningful benefit. 

Also, filling her up with BP Ultimate will also have an effect, I've noticed no power increase, but my Mpg has increased 10% from 30 Mpg, to a consistent 33 Mpg!

2 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

filling her up with BP Ultimate will also have an effect,

Said a man with literally money to burn !

You spoil your car Stephen 🤣

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Jim H said:

I've just looked a Superchips map for the 1.6 will add 9 BHP (8%) over their measured standard. I can't comment whether you would feel the difference. The downside is it's £400, although currently around £250 due to a discount. 

You wouldn't feel that difference in a 1250Kg Focus.  (Well, maybe placebo after spending that much!)

For reference, some of the remaps I've done on diesels have been:

2.0 HDI - 90bhp to 130bhp
1.9 TDI - 130bhp to 180bhp 
1.6 TDCI - 110bhp to 140bhp 

The most expensive of those was £150.  The idea of spending £250 (let alone £400!) on a 9bhp increase doesn't seem like good value to me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Can only agree with comments so far.

There's a tendency to get hung up on horsepower figures anyway whereas an increase in torque would be more useful. Again, you won't get much of that either on a non-turbo petrol (about 7% according to Superchips).

22 hours ago, Ty7832 said:

what sort of things can I do to upgrade the power that isn't to expensive?

Pushing the car off a 100ft cliff will give it an acceleration of zero to 55mph in only 2.5 seconds which is very impressive for any standard 1.6 petrol Focus 😉

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club