Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Transit Custom Electrics

MartinV87

Hi guys, recently bought a transit custom. All bulbs seem ok, hazards fine, but on dash when indicating L&R, they go fast and fine on the outside. Anyone help!!! 

Use FORScan to read the DTC's and it should tell you which light control module has lost communication with the Canbus network.

• Like 1

I have used Carly and it’s telling me.. Lost communication with lighting control module Rear B.

Also before I bought the van, the guy removed the towbar with the 7 pin electrics ans also looks like he has cut through the cable. Don’t know if that would be related 

3 minutes ago, MartinV87 said:

Also before I bought the van, the guy removed the towbar with the 7 pin electrics ans also looks like he has cut through the cable. Don’t know if that would be related 

.....and that is 100% the problem.

The vehicle is looking for the trailer module that is no longer there. The trailer module is the "lighting control module Rear B"

The hyper flash of the indicator warnings on the instrument cluster is caused by the vehicle thinking the trailer module has malfunctioned.

You need to use FORScan and the new vLinker FS cable and tell the system that it no longer has the Ford trailer module fitted.

Great news,what I thought but was actually thinking something more extreme as I was told I’ve the phone by a towbar company  that my transit didn’t need coded or uncoded  How complicated is FORScan, Iv saw a few videos on YouTube and it’s looks complicated. Haha

It can be complicated if your not a big user of it. Mistakes can turn your vehicle in to a very large paperweight 🙄

Possibly worth asking a local Ford garage or a Towbar installer to turn off the missing module. It will need doing before the MOT as the hyper flash will be classed a failure.

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much. You wouldn’t happen to know anyone reliable in Glasgow that could assist so you !!! ( I know it’s a long shot) lol

The only one I know that can do it for sure in Glasgow is Arnold Clark Ford, but I expect they will want to charge you an hours labor for a 10 minute job.

• Sad 1

I got a quote of £135 for a diagnostics off a guy on Gumtree!!! £135 or less for the fix would be a bonus.

That's an expensive price for a guy off Gumtree.

I'd only have charged you £40 if you were in Durham. Give Arnold Clark a call or try and just find one of there guys on lunch break 😉

• Haha 1

That’s what I shall do! I’ll keep you posted 

Hi mate. Got the vlinker and set up computer. “No adaptor found” message !!!!

Have you changed the setting from "Demo" mode to "Debug" mode ?

debug.JPG

Might need to download drivers for the  vLinker cable.

I recently had to reinstall windows and forscan on my laptop and found I could not connect to the car until downloading and installing drivers for the cable. 

• Like 1

I’m also using a mac air 

FORScan that can do programming is only for use with Windows. It seems to work well with 7,10 and even 11 but needs extra drivers. It does not support Apple Mac. 

There is an iPhone App available, but that is only for diagnostic work. It is not able to programme. 

Thanks, I can get access to a windows laptop later on. And also would this issue cz a battery drain? Or is it true that Ford and Ford batterys are poor?

p.s your help is very much appreciated 

• Like 1

The Windows laptop should fix your communication problem 👍

As regards the battery, all modern vehicles from about 2016ish onwards suffer from batteries going flat. This is not just a Ford issue.

Because of emissions regulations, many manufactures have set the charging systems on the vehicles to only charge the battery to 80% of capacity to reduce the load on the alternator. In addition each time the engine is switched off there is a current drain on the battery of approx 20 Amps which can last for about 5 or 6 minutes, as the vehicles modules shut down. Any vehicle that does frequent short journeys with multiple stops and starts will quite quickly run the battery down.

Sadly it's all about manufactures trying to meet impossible emission targets. The solution is that on some, but not all, Ford vesicles the battery 'State Of Charge' can be adjusted using FORScan from the default (usually 80%) to a higher level, for example 95%. In addition it will be necessary to charge the battery with a smart charger every 6 to 8 weeks during the winter months. Not ideal, but that's 2023 for you !!   

• Like 2

HAPPY DAYS… all sorted. Again thank you for your help. Very much appreciated 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1