Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2007 Fusion 1.6TDCI oil-filter access.

SteveJS

Have just come in to ownership of this Fusion, and the first thing I want to do is to change the oil and filter. Having located the filter (with difficulty), it is obvious the large concertina hose on the intake to the air filter has to come off to gain access. Front end is easy, but no way can I get the air filter end off. There are two visible squareish lugs which I can press in, but it is still held solidly at the other, invisible side. By unscrewing the top of the air filter housing and lifting it, I can get some limited vision, but cannot see how the pipe is held. I have tried twisting, and pulled as hard as I dare, but any more and I would be in danger of breaking the air-filter housing.

Can anyone give me a hint on how I can do this? There are several YouTube videos showing the job on Fiestas, but the attachments appear different and are detached in seconds.

This does not seem to me to be a vital part, and I am on the verge of getting the hack-saw out! How can such a basic maintenance job be made so impossible? Am I missing something obvious?

air_intake.jpg

This is the problem with using one engine for multiple vehicle types.  Makes access more difficult on some than others.  I haven't done it on a Fusion, but I'm wondering if it would be easier to remove the turbo inlet elbow with the jubilee clamps instead?

It would make things easier to see, but I hate to disturb things that don't have to be disturbed. There must be an easier, and simpler way.

23 minutes ago, SteveJS said:

It would make things easier to see, but I hate to disturb things that don't have to be disturbed. There must be an easier, and simpler way.

Even on the Focus you have to remove the air intake pipe to access the filter.  On the 110ps model you have to unbolt the solid intercooler pipe as well.  This isn't a quick & easy filter to access unfortunately.

The thing is, at present I am only checking before I start that I have the tools for the job and can get at everything. If I can just get the air inlet pipe off, I can leave it off while  I go out for a run to warm the oil before I drain it. If I have to do significant dismantling, even if it enables me to see how to get the inlet off, which is very far from certain, I end up having to put it all back together so I can warm the engine, and then do all the dismantling again! I just cannot believe there is not a simpler way.

Have you got a 27mm socket to remove the oil filter housing. As for the tube, just be aggressive with it tilting it up and down a little as you pull. It will come off. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iantt said:

As for the tube, just be aggressive with it tilting it up and down a little as you pull. It will come off. 

Completely beyond my abilities. Do you know for sure that should work? Am wondering whether if I took out the battery and battery-box I could get a better pull. I foresee problems with this because another interesting aspect of Ford  "engineering" I am discovering is that wherever a screw goes into a panel, it is an inch longer than it should be, so that it goes rusty and is impossible to remove!

Hack-saw looking like an even more attractive option.

I suspect you have seen this video ? 7:38 features the air intake hose removal. Differnt car but same hose.

Push in the barbs on the right, pull n twist.

I wouldn't worry about taking the car for a run before oil change, just let it idle for 15 min, switch off and let stand for 10 min.

No need to set about it with a hacksaw.

Thanks. I did see that one, but, rather disconcertingly, the sound was several seconds adrift from the vision! Better this time.

I agree, it does look like the same hose and does look simple. Having seen it done I will hopefully have more confidence that I am not going to break something, and will be able to give it more strength, but I really felt I was giving it all I've got.  I will have another try when it has stopped raining, or tomorrow if it doesn't.

Even though I have seen how it should come off, there is just ABSOLUTELY NO WAY!

I have had it for today. Tomorrow I will see if I can get the battery box off and hope I can get both hands in there.

Have 3 shredded wheat for your breakfast. 🤣🤣🤣

Spray a little wd40 or simular over the square looking tag before you pull/twist, tilt. 

• Like 2

I wonder if it was loose so a previous owner glued it on?  

Might also come apart easier when warm.  Cold temps make plastic tight & brittle.

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I wonder if it was loose so a previous owner glued it on?  

Might also come apart easier when warm.  Cold temps make plastic tight & brittle.

get the kettle on, not quite boiling but hot water will soften her up....

• Like 1

Good tips. Rather than WD40 I used the Silicone Lubricant spray I use to make sticky seat-belts work when I'm going to an MoT, and instead of hot water I used a hair-dryer.

Still  a painful job, but did it in the end!

Thanks everyone for the help. I would still be struggling without it.

• Like 2

Well done for perservering, they are a crap design to save money in production without using a hose clamp.

I may leave the hose off in case I keep the car long enough to change the oil and filter again. If I find its absence offends me I will shave a chamfer on the retaining side of the lugs to make removal easier. No way is it ever going to fall off!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club