Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2012 mk7 fiesta stiff gear change when warm

Glenn hastie

after driving my 2012 1.25 5 steed manual fiesta for around 5 plus miles the gear change becomes very stiff. has anyone else experienced this and could shed some light on what can cause it? iv had the centre consul apart and the shifter mechanisum doesnt look damaged etc. 

any helps appreciated

thanks

More likely to be a clutch problem than shifter.  Either the clutch itself is dragging or the slave cylinder isn't fully operating.

Possibly, or you have an oil leak and there's insufficient oil in the transmission, check and top up first

i doubt its oil related as the oil level id fine and the car doesnt look to be leaking a drop and hasnt in the 5 years iv had it.

On 3/20/2023 at 12:43 PM, TomsFocus said:

More likely to be a clutch problem than shifter.  Either the clutch itself is dragging or the slave cylinder isn't fully operating.

cluch is oporates as expeced for the mileage of the car. have a good pedle, doesnt slip and bites strong. like iv said the cars perfect when first driven its only after about 10 miles once the cars fully warmed up that it becomes an issue. once its warm its stiff to shift gears regardless id the clutch is engaged or not so doubt its a clutc h or slave cylinder issue/

4 minutes ago, Glenn hastie said:

cluch is oporates as expeced for the mileage of the car. have a good pedle, doesnt slip and bites strong. like iv said the cars perfect when first driven its only after about 10 miles once the cars fully warmed up that it becomes an issue. once its warm its stiff to shift gears regardless id the clutch is engaged or not so doubt its a clutc h or slave cylinder issue/

That is the exact same symptoms as the clutch drag I experienced.  Clutch 'felt' fine, just wasn't fully disengaging when warm.  Eventually I ended up breaking a gear linkage trying to wrench it out of gear when it dragged me onto a roundabout a few miles into a journey.

If it's still stiff with the engine switched off, then we can rule out a clutch fault.

• Like 1