Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water in boot of mk2 focus

glosrobbo369

Hi, I’m new to the forum and am after some advice.

I intermittently get rain water accumulating in the spare tyre well of my 2010 Focus. It’s got to be a leaking seal as the water gets in when it’s parked rather than driving and I think it’s coming in somewhere on the drivers (right) side. Has anyone got any ideas where I should start looking?

Thanks

Steve

11 minutes ago, glosrobbo369 said:

Hi, I’m new to the forum and am after some advice.

I intermittently get rain water accumulating in the spare tyre well of my 2010 Focus. It’s got to be a leaking seal as the water gets in when it’s parked rather than driving and I think it’s coming in somewhere on the drivers (right) side. Has anyone got any ideas where I should start looking?

Thanks

Steve

Remove rear light cluster, and clean up the years of accumulated crud!

• Like 1

Water in the boot of a Mk2 Focus ???

I thought a Jacuzzi was a standard fitment on these 🤣

• Haha 3

To add to Stephen's advice, as unofix alludes to this is a common problem on the Mk2, people have tried to solve this before (including a relative of mine) by adding sealant in spots around the light cluster, but failed to fix the problem. However I recently found a video on youtube that was enlightening; someone with a huge amount of patience found (very surprisingly) on their Mk2 that water was getting sucked in at the top edge of the indentation where the boot hinge is located. I watched him prove it and I was convinced that they were correct. It's rather unintuitive, you'd think that water flowing over this from on top would just simply fall into the gutter, but no, there's a seam in the metal there and at least in this one case there must be a draft of air flowing through it or something because this person demonstrated that if you have patience and keep pooring water over that area, eventually you'd get some making it's way into the boot. I've yet to try putting some sealant in that spot on my relative's car, I've not had the chance yet.

Oh, another spot to look at apparently is a seam under the "plastic trim on the roof", by which I presume they mean the plastic strips along the edges with the fixings for a roof rack..

Let me see if I can find that video... Ah here it is:

And here is the follow-up:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The foam seals on the rear light inserts can rot away, seen this first hand even after replacing the inserts with new ones. So it helps to add some sealant to try and beef up these seals plus maybe guide water away too. 

I sealed up my tailgate hinge pockets while trying to fix a leak in the boot but eventually found it was coming in through a gap in the sealer at bottom corner of the boot on the left hand side, virtually above the rear bumper. There is sealer buried in there from the factory but it’s a blind process to apply it and they obviously didn’t do a great job of it. Fixed with some silicone sealer best I could and it’s not leaked since. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club