Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Michelin Pilot Super Sport "OR" Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric

unofix

Needing to replace all 4 tyres on my daughters 2017 Focus RS.

It has Michelin Pilot Super Sport on at the moment but looking to change to the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric.

Whats the general opinion on these tyres ?

Where is the best place to buy from, is it still Black Circles ?

Thanks for any suggestions

The PS4S is the replacement to the PSS. That’s what the mk4 ST came with. 

The Continental SportContact 7 seem to do better than the PS4S in just about every test now though

Highly recommend checking this out:

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2022-Tyre-Reviews-UHP-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

There are top tyres but it’s often best to chose from top 3 or 4 based on your own priorities. 

• Thanks 2

Does she like to race around bends on a dry day? Or make sure she's got plenty of grip to spare on a cold, damp road with children in the car?

If it's the latter, I'm a fan of all-weather tyres. I've been very happy with my Cross-Climates, which I also find very comfortable and last well (though other brands' all-weather tyres may well be just as good).

I've generally found black circles £2 per tyre cheaper than going direct to my local tyre garage, but have sometimes found that BC say next appointment 3-4 days, but going direct I can get them fitted the next day.

• Thanks 1

I also would highly recommend reading through Jon Benson's website https://www.tyrereviews.com/

IME Blackcircles was never the best place to buy. Oponeo, ASDA, Tyreleaders and Camskill are usually good, and depending on which, then get them fitted at your local garage.

The answer on which is as above - what driving does she do, and 'how much does she want to spend?'

• Thanks 1

19's on the RS isn't it? I use Michelin PS4S's on my 19" Mondeo wheels. Again check out TyreReviews website.

Michelin are doing £100 cashback if buying 4 x 19" tyres from a participating dealer...https://www.michelin.co.uk/auto/promotions-michelin/auto

• Thanks 1

Well up to now it looks like the

57 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

The Continental SportContact 7

is going to win, from ASDA at £159.98 each. Not sure how we get 4 tyres in the trolley and through the checkout 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Must be a very odd size to cost that much.

That's cheap for 19's...for my car £199 fo SC7 or £245 for PS4S's.

If anything the Mondeo has the odd (uncommon) size of 235/40/19. A few years ago I considered 245 tyres so that I could get some Gooyears as they weren't available in my size, I didn't though and bought Michelin PSS instead. I see they do the Asymmetric 6 in my size now.

I might try the Conti's next, although that may not be for a couple of years as I'm not doing the mileage I once was since Covid. Plus I swap to 18" wheels and winter tyres (soon to be all season tyres) for a few months of winter.

I run a set of 19” Oz’s on my Focus during the non-winter months with 235/35 19’s. Using Pilot Sport 4S and more than happy with them.

In the past have bought from Camskill and had fitted locally though the last set I bought direct from local tyre shop and with the Michelin money off deal it still worked out similar to buying online then adding cost of fitting balancing etc

I think the problem for Michelin and the PS4S right now, is that it’s 6 years old and they haven’t released their PS5S yet so other manufacturers have caught up/taken over this category 

Maybe by the time I need to replace mine the PS5S will be have been released. I'll see what the reviews say then.

I did this research too.

Regardless of the reviews, the Michelin PS5 is the best looking tire - this placebo effect gives the greatest performance increase and therefore makes it the best tire. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Frembrit said:

That's cheap for 19's...for my car £199 fo SC7 or £245 for PS4S's.

15 years ago, that was the price of the new sporty 18" tires! Just wait, when we're all on 20s, 19 will be a bargain! 🤣 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, StephenFord said:

15 years ago, that was the price of the new sporty 18" tires!

yes but that was for a set of 4 🤣

• Haha 1

Unless you're racing around a track all day, for day to day driving, I don't think it really matters.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

I don't think L Hamilton could get more excited over a tire LOL :laughing:

• Haha 1

That poor guy, he must a very 5h1t life to be that excited about a rubber band 🙄

• Haha 1

Same could be said about anything someone is passionate about. People think we have no life being interested in these contraptions that just get you from a to b. 

• Like 1