Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Is my tire perished ?

mburdett555

Got a crack in the wall of the tire NSF presume caused by my rather bad curb scrape a few weeks back bggring my alloys big time deep dents will need major refurb.

Very small cracks around the full circumference of the edge of the tyre tread as pictured 

Is this what can be considered perished tyre and will be an MOT failure?

Planning to get my wet belt replaced this coming April or May, now overdue 10 years as a 2013 13 reg, so obviously two new front tyres with a full service will bump the price up. Might look for some part worns

16796635472105817941200105006598.jpg

16796635558024289247248399780796.jpg

The little cracks are fine.  That cut may fail though.  If you open it up, can you see any cords through it?  If not, it'll just be an advisory.

Prepare for the torrent of posts from people that buy brand new tyres every other month for maximum safety. :whistling: 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

you see any cords through it?  

Don't think so, its about a third of a centimeter deep, maybe less. Probably not far off the cords though 

4 minutes ago, mburdett555 said:

Don't think so, its about a third of a centimeter deep, maybe less. Probably not far off the cords though 

As long as you can't see cords, it's a pass.

When assessing cuts in a tyre, it is permissible to check whether a cut is deep enough to reach the ply or cord by using a blunt instrument to open the cut taking care not to cause further damage.

The following criteria should be used when assessing a cut in a tyre:

• any ply or cord that can be seen without touching the tyre - fail
  • if by folding back rubber or opening a cut with a blunt instrument, so as not to cause further damage, exposed ply or cord can be seen irrespective of the size of the cut - fail
  • if a cut which is more than 25mm or 10% of the section width whichever is the greater, is opened with a blunt instrument and cords can be felt but not seen - fail

Before failing a cut, you must make sure it’s the cords that you can feel not a foreign object. If you’re not sure, then you should pass and advise.

• Thanks 1

I have a tyre with a very similar cut on the sidewall and my car was MOT'd just last week. It was marked as an advisory but nothing more.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club