Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wheel vibration

bluejohnd

Hi, managed to get car up to speed a bit and their is some vibration around 60mph to 70 mph would this be wheel balancing or tracking? Tyres seem to wearing pretty uniformly accross tread stays straight on so I'm guessing balancing?

Thankyou

Yep, I'd agree, balancing rather than tracking.

Worth checking the tyre pressures are correct first if not already done.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2023 at 1:47 PM, TomsFocus said:

Yep, I'd agree, balancing rather than tracking.

Worth checking the tyre pressures are correct first if not already done.

I have had now done balancing and tracking and it's still doing it. My mate has said discs and pads could be it, any ideas? 

24 minutes ago, bluejohnd said:

I have had now done balancing and tracking and it's still doing it. My mate has said discs and pads could be it, any ideas? 

Discs are more likely to cause judder only under braking, unless they're really bent.  Pads won't cause wheel vibration.

Bent hubs are a possibility, have seen that on Focus and Fiesta before.

Driveshafts are also a possibility.

Can you be any more specific about when or where it happens?

It helps when all information is kept in one thread.

21 hours ago, bluejohnd said:

Hi all, first time of getting car up to 60mph plus, really vibrates badly at 57-70 under acceleration and then stops when lift foot off gas. I've had balance and tracking done but still does it all be it not as badly, any ideas please

So the fact that the vibration stops when you take your foot off the accelerator rules out tracking, wheel balance or other wheel related items.

If you get the car up to 70MPH and put it in neutral do the vibrations go away ?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, unofix said:

It helps when all information is kept in one thread.

So the fact that the vibration stops when you take your foot off the accelerator rules out tracking, wheel balance or other wheel related items.

If you get the car up to 70MPH and put it in neutral do the vibrations go away ?

Haven't tried yet, when I'm on run home I'll try it and see. I'm assuming then you are thinking gearbox maybe.?

1 minute ago, bluejohnd said:

I'm assuming then you are thinking gearbox maybe.?

Actually I'm thinking more along the lines of the clutch, cheaper than a gearbox 🤣

5 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Discs are more likely to cause judder only under braking, unless they're really bent.  Pads won't cause wheel vibration.

Bent hubs are a possibility, have seen that on Focus and Fiesta before.

Driveshafts are also a possibility.

Can you be any more specific about when or where it happens?

Its about 57-58mph, it starts and then gets slightly worse up to 70,mph and then eases slightly. If at any time during this period I ease off but not brake it stops.

• Thanks 1

Just now, unofix said:

Actually I'm thinking more along the lines of the clutch, cheaper than a gearbox 🤣

It's auto gearbox, which I've no idea with, but seems really smooth changing up/down 

Dave @DaveT70 can probably offer advice regarding the gearbox / clutch system on your car.

12 hours ago, bluejohnd said:

Its about 57-58mph, it starts and then gets slightly worse up to 70,mph and then eases slightly. If at any time during this period I ease off but not brake it stops.

I agree with Unofix, that sounds more like a driveline issue, either gearbox, clutch (if Powershift) or driveshafts.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bluejohnd said:

Haven't tried yet, when I'm on run home I'll try it and see. I'm assuming then you are thinking gearbox maybe.?

Been out again, does it in 4th and 5th and carries on when I shift up or down gears, but is changing smoothly. Tried braking slightly with foot on gas it didn't stop it at all but as soon as I lift off the gas it stops. I'm thinking more like drive shaft as I got up to 80 and it wasn't as bad, but I really am no expert at all.

I'm thinking driveshaft as well.  Though would want a second opinion before going to the expense of replacing one/both.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club