Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ENGINE FAILURE 2017 transit custom

Daniel larkin

Has anyone had a failed DPF regen which puts you into limp mode then the engine fails,and when it does start it runs poorly and black smoke is bellowing from the exhaust. Ford have told me that I need a new engine and CAT

I’ve heard it might be the wet belt causing it

One failed DPF regen doesn't do any harm.

If it's constantly failed regens then the oil gets diluted with diesel which could damage the engine through lack of lubrication and excess oil capacity, and could damage the wetbelt as well.

Think we need a bit more info here if possible?

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

One failed DPF regen doesn't do any harm.

If it's constantly failed regens then the oil gets diluted with diesel which could damage the engine through lack of lubrication and excess oil capacity, and could damage the wetbelt as well.

Think we need a bit more info here if possible?

What do you want to know. I’m happy to hear any information you may know

1. What engine is it ?
  2. How many miles has it done ?
  3. Has it always been serviced by a Ford dealer at the correct intervals ?
  4. Using FORScan (not a generic code reader) what are the stored DTC's ?

2.0 litre EcoBlue 

108000 miles

first service was with a Ford dealer

other services done at other places

not sure what you mean by dtc’s

1 minute ago, Daniel larkin said:

other services done at other places

Has the wrong oil been used then?  Wetbelts are very sensitive to oil.  Has any engine flush ever been used?

52 minutes ago, Daniel larkin said:

What do you want to know. I’m happy to hear any information you may know

What exactly has happened to the engine?  I take it the wetbelt hasn't actually snapped as you say it still runs.

It was driving fine then I got the DPF almost full drive to clear warning, then said it was full and put me in limp mode so I pulled into the services turned the engine off and phoned green flag. Then tried to start it again and it was just trying to turn over without starting. It has been like that since, I put it into the Ford dealer as they recalled it for the belt and they have tinkered with it and managed to start it but it’s running really badly and puffing out a load of smoke. I phone ford customer care they said that there is “something that they can disclose about the problem” but will need my v5 form and service history but haven’t disclosed anything yet.

I am just trying to find out if it’s happened to anyone else and what they done about it. Any help would be appreciated thanks

• Thanks 1

Go on transitforum.org or one of the custom owners groups on Facebook.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Daniel larkin said:

It was driving fine then I got the DPF almost full drive to clear warning, then said it was full and put me in limp mode so I pulled into the services turned the engine off and phoned green flag. Then tried to start it again and it was just trying to turn over without starting. It has been like that since, I put it into the Ford dealer as they recalled it for the belt and they have tinkered with it and managed to start it but it’s running really badly and puffing out a load of smoke. I phone ford customer care they said that there is “something that they can disclose about the problem” but will need my v5 form and service history but haven’t disclosed anything yet.

I am just trying to find out if it’s happened to anyone else and what they done about it. Any help would be appreciated thanks

Ok, thanks for that.  As above, you might get more experience on a specific Transit forum as we don't get many Transits on here.  This isn't a fault I've come across myself.

I think the DPF fault is a red herring.  I think the engine was creating a lot of smoke which quickly filled the the DPF with soot on that last drive.  So not actually a DPF fault.  But now that it's full of soot, it will need to be professionally cleaned or replaced.

So the main question is - what caused the engine to smoke like that?  Possibly a faulty injector, possibly excess oil that made it's way into the cylinders, or possibly a stuck EGR valve for example. 

I can't really see what this has to do with the wetbelt at the moment.

If you can get anything from Ford with the V5 & service history then please do let us know what they say.

• Like 1

Ok I will let you know what happens

thanks

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club