Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 Titanium Estate key fob not working despite battery cha

altanbonstan

Hi all - first time poster here. I have a 2013 Focus Titanium estate and the key fob stopped working, so I assumed it required a new battery; however after the change the problem remained. When clicking unlock there's no sound or light whatsoever.

It has keyless ignition, and unfortunately while searching the only tips to reprogramme the fob suggests keying the ignition off & on but this of course isn't an option for me.

Could anyone possibly advise if there's a way to reprogramme the key with the ignition trick & without having to get a technician out?

Many thanks in advance.

27 minutes ago, altanbonstan said:

Hi all - first time poster here. I have a 2013 Focus Titanium estate and the key fob stopped working, so I assumed it required a new battery...

1st thing first. You need to actually test the 'new' battery. It should be pushing out about 3.3v, once the battery goes below 3v, you'll get issues. Just because you got a new battery doesn't always mean it is working as it should. Once you determine it's pushing out the correct voltage, then you can go down other diagnostic routes...(also worth checking the battery contacts as well, in addition to ensuring it's correctly installed)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, altanbonstan said:

the only tips to reprogramme the fob suggests keying the ignition off & on but this of course isn't an option for me

You can turn the ignition on and off without starting the engine by simply pressing the button without depressing the clutch (or brake, whichever is appropriate).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Stephen above.

But if the car itself is working ok you should have got a message on the dash saying "key batt low Replace soon" . So if you didn't it's unlikely to be the fob batt that's the problem. Also, does your other fob work?

Check the voltage (state of charge) on your main battery and charge it if necessary. You could even leave the charger connected and try the fob.  If the main battery is low on charge, the car switches off certain non-essential features so that there's some charge left to start the engine and keyless entry is one of the things it switches off, I understand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, altanbonstan said:

the key fob stopped working, so I assumed it required a new battery

It's always dangerous to assume 🤣

Do the checks as per Stephen and insure the new keyfob battery is 3.30V

If still a problem then use a multimeter and measure the voltage of the car battery. If the State Of Charge (SOC) is less than 70% the car will start turning non-essential equipment and functions off.

SOC.JPG

• Thanks 2

Thanks very much for all the assistance noted here. My wife's actually out in the car currently (the 2nd fob works perfectly fine) but I'll go through all the suggested fixes here in the hope of rectifying.

Thanks again!

3 hours ago, altanbonstan said:

When clicking unlock there's no sound or light whatsoever.

It's possible this particular button has failed. When you have both fobs to hand try locking with the faulty fob and unlocking with the good one. If that works it'll be the button at fault.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, unofix said:

It's always dangerous to assume 🤣

I know it's trite, but it's so often true... Never ASSUME as it makes an ***** out of U and ME.

Just now, alanfp said:

an ***** out of U and ME

I meant as in "donkey" !!!

Just now, alanfp said:

I know it's trite, but it's so often true... Never ASSUME as it makes an ***** out of U and ME.

Yep, the 2 Ronnies contributed much to 20th Century culture LOL

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

the 2 Ronnies

I just love the 2 Ronnies, and so much of their comedy has now become real life !!

Tell me that this isn't so very close to the truth of today.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, unofix said:

I just love the 2 Ronnies, and so much of their comedy has now become real life !!

Tell me that isn't so very close to the truth of today.

Excellent clip, sadly I remember watching that when 1st broadcast! Though, I'll call that clip, and raise for 'reality', any clip from Yes Minister (or Yes, Prime Minister) LOL Here's how to fake any opinion poll..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club