Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is this shield for, on the Mk4.5 Focus Titanium?

northern_nubie

On the Mk4.5 Focus Titanium 125 Ecoboost engine, it has a part which is not on the Mk4. I'm trying to find out what it's for, if anything, apart from securing two pipes (fuel pipes, I think).

Apparently it's called a shield. See the blue circle on the Mk4.5 photo, at point B. I have the engineering part number for the shield, which is plastic. It covers one of the studs which on the Mk4 held on the cover. You'll see on the Mk4 photo there is no shield and the cables aren't secured. So I don't see the need for the shield. Most importantly, the Mk4.5 doesn't have an engine cover and I'm trying to fit one. But the shield prevents the cover fitting properly. I have the right cover - I've checked this with Ford. I'm either going to have to remove the shield somehow, or cut a bit off the underside of the cover.

Any opinions welcome!

Focus_Ecoboost_125PS_engine_top_b.jpg

2018 engine 2 b.jpg

Focus_Mk4_Titanium_engine_cover.jpg

Only a few weeks ago I used to get a fair few replies to comments and threads, most being very helpful. Now I get no replies.

If people don't know the answer, they won't tend to reply.

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, northern_nubie said:

Only a few weeks ago I used to get a fair few replies to comments and threads, most being very helpful. Now I get no replies.

If you can take a few close up pictures of the part, or ideally find any numbers on it, we might be able to help.  I'm not sure what it is from the the small part we can see on that picture and don't want to offer potentially incorrect advice.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, northern_nubie said:

B in your photo looks like a sensor, what you get on door, boot etc does it press down if you push it.

doubt you`ll get an cover to fit other wise it would have been on car when you had it i would have thought

• Like 1

15 hours ago, andypsp said:

B in your photo looks like a sensor, what you get on door, boot etc does it press down if you push it.

doubt you`ll get an cover to fit other wise it would have been on car when you had it i would have thought

Must admit I haven't seen an 'engine cover fitted' sensor before. :biggrin:   

Ford  stopped fitting engine covers to save money on the Mk4s.  Early pre-facelift Mk4's had them so you could easily buy & fit your own cover to later PFL's.  However, this is the first trying to fit to a facelift that we've seen.

• Like 1

It's a plastic bracket that holds the fuel pipes in place with clips. Must have been an issue with older focus with pipes vibrating for some reason. 

• Thanks 1

Remember your granny putting those dolls over a roll of toilet paper to disguise it? mmm... engine cover :biggrin:

31 minutes ago, iantt said:

It's a plastic bracket that holds the fuel pipes in place with clips. Must have been an issue with older focus with pipes vibrating for some reason. 

It looks like the engine cover has channels which probably supported them, without the cover, Ford must have decided they need the clips.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, northern_nubie said:

There seem to have been over 80 responses to your various threads on engine covers, so hardly grounds for complaint I would have thought!😃

However, it is looking as if no-one has actually done this on the latest Focus so the answer may well be to do a bit of judicious trimming of the cover until it fits, taking it slowly a bit at a time and offering it up until you get a fit.

A number of us have fitted covers on Mk 8 Fiestas with the "wet belt" version of the engine, which never had a cover as standard. These have required various degrees of trimming as it does seem individual cars can vary, even on suposedly  "identical" models.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/28/2023 at 3:28 PM, TomsFocus said:

If you can take a few close up pictures of the part, or ideally find any numbers on it, we might be able to help.  I'm not sure what it is from the the small part we can see on that picture and don't want to offer potentially incorrect advice.

Thanks, Tom. The engineering number is LX7G-9E313-BA. And what I think is called the finish number is 2538988. I could be wrong but all it seems to do is cover the stud and have slots to tie-wrap the two cables - which aren't tie-wrapped on the Mk4.

6 hours ago, alexp999 said:

It looks like the engine cover has channels which probably supported them, without the cover, Ford must have decided they need the clips.

Good point. A channel for one of the cables, the one at the top of the photo, which also sits higher i.e. into the cover.

On 3/28/2023 at 2:58 PM, alexp999 said:

If people don't know the answer, they won't tend to reply.

Fair point. Maybe I was feeling lonely 😊

23 hours ago, andypsp said:

It doesn't press down, though I can see why it might look as if it does. Tomorrow I'm going to see if the cap will flip up and off, then I will perhaps see if the whole thing comes off. Didn't occur to me to try the day I posted, and it's been pretty wet since.

The cover I have would fit if the shield thing, as they call it, wasn't there. On a Ford technical drawing I have, showing the studs, cover and shield arrangement, the shield seems to be optional. As another reply said here, the tie-wrap especially for the top cable would be because without the indent under the cover, there's nothing to secure it.

7 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Remember your granny putting those dolls over a roll of toilet paper to disguise it? mmm... engine cover :biggrin:

Good analogy, in a way. But I intend to keep the car for as long as it will last, and I just prefer to avoid a build up of dust which does build up and isn't that easy to brush off after a number of years. Also looks better, even though the cover covers far less than other makes and models of car.

Update: the shield is just a lightweight plastic part which can be popped up from the stud underneath it, which was originally one of the studs for the cover on the Mk4. Or early Mk4s, as Tom pointed out above. 

Once popped up, it's still attached to the two cables, of course. I don't really want to trim the underside of the cover, and even if I did, the cover would only be fixed in three places. Not ideal.

As Alex said above, it's likely the cover was deemed helpful in securing the cables, but without the cover, some form of stability was thought necessary, hence the shield and tie-wraps. The cables are stiff and held firmly in nearby slots, without the need for the tie-wraps, imo.

Here's my fix, which I've decided on and will do tomorrow: pop up the shield. Carefully cut the tie-wrap on the right (which, if need be, could later be neatly super-glued back together. It doesn't look possible to replace the tie-wrap due to the way it's attached to its base, though it may be possible). The top tie-wrap does not need to be cut. The shield can be swiveled clockwise and down a bit, out of the way, revealing the stud. The top tie-wrap spins freely at its base. The moved shield will be low enough not to hamper fitting the cover and will not be near other components. It can be secured to the top cable with a tie-wrap. Or I may cut both tie-wraps and remove the shield.

(I tried to pull the tie-wraps from the slots they're inserted into in the shield housing, but it was impossible, even with a lot of force and needle-nose pliers.)

(I've written this short essay for Stephen, as I know he appreciates lengthy comments :) I appreciate all your comments and help in recent months.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1