Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk4.5, rear indicator WY16W LED

karlbbb

Hi all,

Back in a Focus after just over a year, and picked up my Mk4.5 Titanium today. Pretty mad that all the lights are done with LED except the rear indicators and it spoils the aesthetic a little. According to the manual the bulb is a WY16W and I'd like to get an LED for it. Has anyone had any luck finding a good WY16W amber LED? W16W comes up a lot but I'm not sure of the difference.

12 hours ago, karlbbb said:

W16W comes up a lot but I'm not sure of the difference

I'm guessing without the 'Y' it won't be yellow.

• Like 3

On 3/27/2023 at 9:27 PM, karlbbb said:

Hi all,

Back in a Focus after just over a year, and picked up my Mk4.5 Titanium today. Pretty mad that all the lights are done with LED except the rear indicators and it spoils the aesthetic a little. According to the manual the bulb is a WY16W and I'd like to get an LED for it. Has anyone had any luck finding a good WY16W amber LED? W16W comes up a lot but I'm not sure of the difference.

2 x T15 LED W16W Amber Orange Indicators Canbus Error Free Xenon Light Bulbs | eBay

13 hours ago, PaterAnt said:

2 x T15 LED W16W Amber Orange Indicators Canbus Error Free Xenon Light Bulbs | eBay

I have worked out the problem. These guys are of course china s***. Unfortunately, these are the only one which works fine for MK4 (light without shades). Chine cheaters claim "Canbus error free" but it is not completely truth. These "bulbs" takes too much power (7W) and light is almost white, thanks to that, there are no errors. I have tested the car and 7-8W is the edge, so the may work and one day may not work. Also, 7W is ridiculous, I modified them to take 1.8W and light intensity is exactly same as for normal bulbs.

Now, what to do with errors:

Option #1 install resistor in parallel, these will cheat the car but if LED bulb get broken, we will not get any info.

Option #2 disable in BdyCM using forscan for instance. Simple, but same as #1 disables detection.

These LED Bulbs are so unreliable that I was afraid to stay without detection.  Indicators are so important. Well...

Option #3 dedicated electronic circuit, same as made for premium (Philips) indicator LEDs. This is 3-wire circuit which keeps detection without errors. 

I can share technical design of this electronics if anyone is interested. It is very simple. 

image.thumb.png.2cc20db002f8915102c1743d4e0a85c2.png

In UK, you have your Autobeam shop, maybe they have some good quality LED Bulbs.

• Like 1

These gave poor, uneven light:

image.thumb.png.9416b21046a28a0016b1ac11a7ce5927.png

These give good light but they are too strong (rsistor 0.3ohm needs to be replaced by 1ohm):

image.thumb.png.44d54c6dd0d3716fee2260c9df65c17a.png

These are very cheap and look quite ok. Takes 3W. Someone promised to test but haven't tried them yet:

image.png.e1cba4251bade16b04ba05a17f2a894b.png

Each of these bulbs can interfere with radio reception.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club