Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HELP! Gears / Engine - car screeching / clonking along

Jess95

For a while my car has struggled to go into reverse - we have to just put it neutral and try again. 
The last few days the car had started clunking as I’m driving along almost sounds as if the car is dragging something. It has also become lifeless and has no power as such when trying to pull off. it was recovered to a garage who have said that the whole gear box needs rebuilding and there is also a leak in the engine - now my Ford fiesta Zetec is only 67 Reg plate and I’ve had it 2 years.. is this common for fords to have this issue? My car is finance but warranty has gone and the garage are telling me to sell the car to webuyanycar as the cost to rebuild gear box isn’t worth it and they won’t touch the engine leak. 
when my dad looked at the car and the engine he thought the engine mount had disconnected from being worn as when the car is on the engine is moving / shaking about a lot and when compared to other cars they are fairly still due to the mount being in place. 
if anyone has any advice or has had similar issues and it’s been fixed please let me know as I’m unsure what to do at this point.

Which engine is it?  1.0 EcoBoost?

67 plate is coming up to 6 years old now and the gearboxes on these are known to be weak.

The 1.0EB also idles very rough, and does jump around a lot on the engine mounts when you look under the bonnet.

Have you checked prices for a used gearbox instead of a full refurbishment?  There's always a risk with a used gearbox but it might be a lot cheaper.  Then you can sell the car as working and buy something more robust.

Can't really comment on the engine leak without knowing exactly where the leak is.

• Like 1

As Tom has said, the gearbox problems on these are quite common.

I'd not worry about the engine jumping around on idle, it's normal for the 1.0 Ecoboost.

3 hours ago, Jess95 said:

My car is finance but warranty has gone and the garage are telling me to sell the car to webuyanycar as the cost to rebuild gear box isn’t worth it and they won’t touch the engine leak. 

Good advice, unless you are going to be out of pocket.

If you are, contact your finance company and claim section 75 rights

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club