Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 Ka Hazard light & surrounding buttons jammed

thegame99

Hi all. Came across this forum whilst looking for the issue I have.

All of a sudden my hazard light and the 2 buttons around it are stuck like a brick. Don't know what or how it happened.

MOT due in 10 days & surely this will fail it. Can anyone please advise what type of garage can fix it, how much would it roughly cost & is it straightforward to diy. The unit is sold on eBay for around £20.

Thank you for your replies. 

image.png.6328585177d9e08d44728f071b2c9e26.png

Hit the buttons harder.  They're probably just stuck through lack of use.

Correct, it will fail MOT if rear fog and hazards can't be operated.

The panel is just push fit with plastic clips.  You may be able to pull it out using a thin screwdriver/trim tool/knife.  Taking care not to damage the surround.  If it's too tight then you'll need to remove the whole facia.  Still easily done DIY, but a bit more hassle.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Hit the buttons harder.  They're probably just stuck through lack of use.

Correct, it will fail MOT if rear fog and hazards can't be operated.

The panel is just push fit with metal clips.  You may be able to pull it out using a thin screwdriver/trim tool/knife.  Taking care not to damage the surround.  If it's too tight then you'll need to remove the whole facia.  Still easily done DIY, but a bit more hassle.

Thank you for your reply.

Tried everything. Can remove the button & the light switch actually works. Was hoping to find a spring or some sort of rebound mechanism but nothing there. Confused as to how it happened in the first place and what made the surrounding buttons freeze. If pressed, the hazard light button wont come back to its original place. 

Is there a place where I could find assembly instructions. Only found 2 vids on youtube & they're related to a different US based setup.

The outer panel is clamping the buttons.

Wriggle adjust the outer panel either in or out, up or down or left and right with a plastic tool and the buttons should release

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, thegame99 said:

Thank you for your reply.

Tried everything. Can remove the button & the light switch actually works. Was hoping to find a spring or some sort of rebound mechanism but nothing there. Confused as to how it happened in the first place and what made the surrounding buttons freeze. If pressed, the hazard light button wont come back to its original place. 

Is there a place where I could find assembly instructions. Only found 2 vids on youtube & they're related to a different US based setup.

Looks like Dave's got the answer as to how it happened, the plastic surround is crushing the buttons.  Get a tool in there and pry it around a bit, taking care not to damage anything.

I don't know of any specific instructions for the full fascia.  Youtube is usually best nowadays.  Quick steps are: Remove radio.  Remove 2 screws below radio.  Remove 2 screws below the dials.  Then carefully pull the whole fascia out, it's just clipped in.  Using eBay to see the back of the fascia can help with clip & screw placement.

Picture 1 of 12

Picture 8 of 12

• Like 1

Thanks both. Managed to open up the unit. Turns out the clips behind the button were broken. Some cardboard behind done the trick. Probably saved £100-£150 in the process.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, thegame99 said:

Some cardboard behind done the trick. Probably saved £100-£150 in the process.

Pleased to hear that.  Some people would call that a bodge - but to me it's an ingenious economical creative approach to problem solving!

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club