Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

All-season tyres

Johnsmalley

Daughter's Fiesta was fitted all round with Michelin Cross Climate all-season tyres. At MOT the garage found a cut in sidewall of one and replaced it with normal non-all-season tyre. A few weeks later one of the others picked up a large nail which also damaged the sidewalk and that was replaced with non-all-season tyre. Should the all-season tyres be moved to the rear?

Interesting question, not a simple answer IMO.

New tyres should be fitted on the rear as that reduces the risk of a blowout.  You still have some steering control over the fronts if they were to blow out.

However, cheap summer tyres probably have less grip than Cross-Climates, so for general driving, they'd be better off on the front, reducing the risk of over-steer.

Cross climates only really come into effect below 15 degrees ambient

BUT, they grip better in the wet, full stop.

Mixing all season with summer, winter with summer etc is not recommended. It's a bit like mixing cross ply with radials years ago. But the issue won't be noticeable until it rains heavy or goes below about 7 degrees ambient

But if you must keep them, put them on the front to improve grip and reduce understeer. But I would replace to all the same

• Like 1

I would be tempted to take it back and insist they swap out the summer tyres for all-season. The general advice from the manufacturers is not to mix tyre types. It won't be horrendous with the Cross Climates as they are more like a summer tyre with a strong winter bias, but personally I'd not be happy if they put summer tyres on with my existing Cross Climates.

• Like 1

Take it back and get all season tyre put on

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, iantt said:

all season tyre

Yes some decent all season tyres are whats needed 😉

All Season.JPG

50 minutes ago, unofix said:

Yes some decent all season tyres are whats needed 😉

All Season.JPG

Only for the rear wheels though. 

1 minute ago, iantt said:

Only for the rear wheels though. 

Yes I noticed that, you need a nice set of crossply for the front 🤣

Perhaps one crossply, one winter, one summer and one all-seasons tyre would work. Then you'll be prepared for any situation. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

47 minutes ago, erictcleric said:

Perhaps one crossply, one winter, one summer and one all-seasons tyre would work. Then you'll be prepared for any situation. 

Where's the mud and snow tyre going? In the boot. 

• Haha 2

Reading Tom's post and DaveT's posts above I think they aren't quite agreeing with each other. 

This IS an interesting conundrum as you have got to decide whether the grippiest tyres should be on the back or the front, but THEN you've got to make an assessment of whether used all-season tyres are grippier than new 'summer' tyres. My assessment would be that you'll only ever get close to losing grip on a cold, wet day. So the all-seasons are the grippiest tyres in practice.

22 hours ago, Johnsmalley said:

Daughter's Fiesta was fitted all round with Michelin Cross Climate all-season tyres. At MOT the garage found a cut in sidewall of one and replaced it with normal non-all-season tyre. A few weeks later one of the others picked up a large nail which also damaged the sidewalk and that was replaced with non-all-season tyre. Should the all-season tyres be moved to the rear?

Why did the garage in question replace the tyres without consent in the first place and more importantly why did THEY decide NOT to replace them like for like? 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have cross climate 2 on the front of my fiesta. It's not true that they are very good in the wet compared to Summer tyres. 

• 3 months later...
On 3/30/2023 at 8:34 AM, Johnsmalley said:

We put all season tyres on our cars because in the winter the bottom half of our access road is not gritted* so sometimes we cannot get out.
What I have noticed is that the "all seasons" wear out significantly faster, which is what you would expect as (I think) the rubber is softer, and is not really designed for summer use.
So I have taken to swapping the all seasons onto the back (they're front wheel drive cars and so the rears hardly wear at all) from March to November, then onto the front for the winter. 
All season tyres are defn better (than summer tyres) in the snow, but in my experience cannot cope with deep and/or frozen / packed snow.

* It's so annoying. If the council gritted the bottom 100 yards of the adjoining road (which everyone has to use to drive up to get out, since they made that road a dead end at the bottom....) about 20 households could get out more reliably in the winter.....

If you want to fit all seasons as  a pair fit to the front, ideally replace all 4 as a set for optimum handling.  Mixing all seasons and summer tyres aren't ideal but there are no legalities like cross Ply  and radials  mixing which is unheard of now adays . Mixing cply and radials was only legal to fit radials to the rear as  apair and cross ply on front if necessary. My view stay away from MICH crossclimates, over rated  over prices ,  if you want a good Allseason tyre go for the Goodyear Vector Gen3 . New tyres were only recommended to be fitted to the rear to cope better with understeer, fitting new tyres on the front may cause vehicle to oversteer because of the extra traction and ubdersteering is easier to cope with than oversteer.  

• Like 1

Just to remind you all what not to do with those cross ply tyres you've been keeping 🤣

• Haha 1

You have already posted that video earlier in this thread, so don't need to do it again. 😛  Although when was the last time you saw cross-ply tyres on sale for cars in the UK?

I always fit the best tyres on the front of my car, however this is always a 'can of worms' when discussing new tyres on any forum.

1 hour ago, Jim H said:

You have already posted that video earlier in this thread

Opps !

So I have, but there are 4 tyres on a car so maybe I need to post it another twice ? 🤣

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club