Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Towbar wiring for a caravan

siezar

You pay your money and get what you pay for.

It won't fully interact with the vehicles wiring and if you have parking sensors it won't disable them when towing. The indicator warning lights will probably flash at the normal rate but won't change speed if the indicator lamp on the caravan fails.

On a 2017 vehicle which is equipped with Ford's MS and HS Canbus system you may find that you will get warnings about light failures.

Thanks so much for your reply, you're a legend.

I presume my galaxy will have a loose plug in the boot somewhere to connect the trailer control module to? Then I suppose the tow bar wiring kit I posted above will plug into the other end?

1 hour ago, siezar said:

Then I suppose the tow bar wiring kit I posted above will plug into the other end?

You will need the Ford tow bar wiring kit that plugs in to the Ford trailer module. The whole system is controlled by Canbus.. It monitors each lighting circuit on the caravan/trailer connected. It will also control the auxiliary supply to the caravan battery and/or fridge while the caravan is connected.  There will be a towing repeater indicator light on the instrument cluster that will become active when towing to confirm the correct operation of the indicators. The towing module will also disable the rear fog light on the vehicle to avoid reflective glare and it will enable the rear fog light on the caravan. The reverse parking sensors (assuming they are fitted) will be inhibited while the caravan is connected.

There is much more to fitting a tow bar to a modern vehicle than there was even just 10 years ago. The general purpose kits sold on eBay are fine for older vehicles (before 2010) and for towing small trailers with basic lights. I seriously would not recommend fitting anything other than a Ford, or a bespoke kit to your Galaxy if you are intending to use it for a caravan.

Personally I would spend a little more and get one of these kits . There 4 to choose from depending on if you have the plug in the boot or  (wotp) without trailer preparation. 

https://www.pfjones.co.uk/towbar-wiring-kits/ford-towbar-wiring-kits/ford-galaxy-towbar-wiring-kits/ford-galaxy-2015-onwards-towbar-wiring-kits.html

So you need to go looking for the wiring in the boot area. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, iantt said:

There 4 to choose from depending on if you have the plug in the boot or  (wotp) without trailer preparation. 

Yes, I'd go down the route of the Ford kits or these bespoke kits, that Ian has put the link for. 👍

On 4/1/2023 at 4:12 PM, unofix said:

Yes, I'd go down the route of the Ford kits or these bespoke kits, that Ian has put the link for. 👍

Okay thanks for the advice guys. I've got bigger fish to fry now though cause my gearbox isn't working! I'll start a new thread about it. If I get the gearbox fixed I'll buy one of those kits you recommended. 

• Like 1

Don't forget , Before you do you will need to strip the panels off first to check for plugs 

Im actually quietly hoping the electrics are in the car already. I've been at work the last two weeks so I've not been able to check but my car does have a detachable tow bar. I presume it was fitted by the previous owner so im hoping they fitted the electrics. Its probably a long shot though. 

Chances are it’s all there already, the trailer sockets usually pivot up behind the bumper out of sight when not being used.

17 hours ago, siezar said:

Im actually quietly hoping the electrics are in the car already. I've been at work the last two weeks so I've not been able to check but my car does have a detachable tow bar. I presume it was fitted by the previous owner so im hoping they fitted the electrics. Its probably a long shot though. 

Oh, so have you looked for the socket behind the bumper? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club