Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 wingmirror

hiace_drifter

I started a thread previously about repair costs, and it started to drift into wing mirror territory...

On my passenger side wing mirror, the powerfold and up/down/left right adjustment only work about 10% of the time. The garage have quoted £80 to fix, but I'm intrigued as to what they are fixing or replacing as a new mirrror is £90-£150 on euro car parts. Can the motor/mech for the power fold and adjustment be bought separately? 

Someone linked to this, but I assume that doesn't fix the power fold issue?

Picture 1 of 11

10 minutes ago, hiace_drifter said:

and it started to drift into wing mirror territory...

That must have been a very old thread, Ford haven't fitted Wing Mirrors for over 50 years. 🤣

Regarding the recent introduction of Door Mirrors (50 years ago) Ford sadly only provide replacement mirror glass, and for some door  mirrors the back plastic painted cover is also available. There are no replacment motors available. 🙁

A couple of people have tried to dismantle the powerfold  motor assembly but have found the spring that needs to be compressed to enable it to come apart is just impossible to get off with out breaking the pivot. 

9 minutes ago, unofix said:

That must have been a very old thread, Ford haven't fitted Wing Mirrors for over 50 years. 🤣

Regarding the recent introduction of Door Mirrors (50 years ago) Ford sadly only provide replacement mirror glass, and for some door  mirrors the back plastic painted cover is also available. There are no replacment motors available. 🙁

A couple of people have tried to dismantle the powerfold  motor assembly but have found the spring that needs to be compressed to enable it to come apart is just impossible to get off with out breaking the pivot. 

Crikey I know I'm old, but that was even before my time! So ... this door mirror - I just need to replace the whole thing? I'm baffled as to what my garage were planning to do for £80 as that would barely the parts let alone any labour.

• Haha 1

You can try using spray lubricant and getting it in to the pivot point and see if you can free it up. Unfortunately there is a small cam on the motor that often breaks off and then its game over.

Replacing the whole mirror assembly should take less than half an hour. Be very sure to get the exact same type, there will be at least 4 versions for your model and while they look the same the wiring and operations are different.

Just for your information:

7 minutes ago, unofix said:

Just for your information:

Thanks, I will take a read. I've bought a set of trim removal tools ... this weekend's job is lubricating the locking mech (same door, also intermittent). Next weekend I'll tackle the mirror.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/31/2023 at 12:49 PM, unofix said:

You can try using spray lubricant and getting it in to the pivot point and see if you can free it up. Unfortunately there is a small cam on the motor that often breaks off and then its game over.

Replacing the whole mirror assembly should take less than half an hour. Be very sure to get the exact same type, there will be at least 4 versions for your model and while they look the same the wiring and operations are different.

Thank you, mirror now replaced. 29 mins to get the outer painted cover off, 1 min to do the three torx bolts and electrical connection.  Thank you so much!

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club