Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta ST MK8.5 Stop start query

Spikecast

Hi, 

just picked up our 23 plate new green ST yesterday and wanted to query something with regards to the stop start. When we we start the car the auto stop start button is illuminated orange to indicate it's off, is there a way to keep this on?

I also assume if you have the car in sport mode the auto SS is disabled by default? I know the car resets to normal mode when getting back in so it can't be spelt mode causing it to turn off.

Many thanks! 

If I'm reading the handbook correctly it should operate as any other model, ie system is "on"  by default so button is not illuminated on start. The handbook suggests the system turns off if a malfunction is detected so presumably the switch would illuminate in that case?

Auto start-stop does switch off in sport mode, according to the handbook.

I'm picking one up next week myself so I'll get back if I find any different.

Auto-Start-Stop - Manual Transmission, Excluding: Mild Hybrid Electric Vehicle (MHEV) - Switching Auto-Start-Stop On and Off

SWITCHING AUTO-START-STOP ON AND OFF

The system turns on when you switch the ignition on.
Auto Start/Stop  Press the switch to switch the system off.
Note:   OFF illuminates in the switch.
Press the switch again to switch the system back on.
Note:   The system is designed to turn off if it detects a malfunction.If the system malfunctions, have your vehicle checked as soon as possible.

Drive Modes - Sport - ST

SPORT - ST

Sport Drive Mode  Vehicle settings suited for sportier driving.
Note:   Press the button on the steering wheel to directly select this mode.
Note:   Auto-start-stop switches off when you select this mode.

6 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

If I'm reading the handbook correctly it should operate as any other model, ie system is "on"  by default so button is not illuminated on start. The handbook suggests the system turns off if a malfunction is detected so presumably the switch would illuminate in that case?

Auto start-stop does switch off in sport mode, according to the handbook.

Auto-Start-Stop - Manual Transmission, Excluding: Mild Hybrid Electric Vehicle (MHEV) - Switching Auto-Start-Stop On and Off

SWITCHING AUTO-START-STOP ON AND OFF

The system turns on when you switch the ignition on.
Auto Start/Stop  Press the switch to switch the system off.
Note:   OFF illuminates in the switch.
Press the switch again to switch the system back on.
Note:   The system is designed to turn off if it detects a malfunction.If the system malfunctions, have your vehicle checked as soon as possible.

Drive Modes - Sport - ST

SPORT - ST

Sport Drive Mode  Vehicle settings suited for sportier driving.
Note:   Press the button on the steering wheel to directly select this mode.
Note:   Auto-start-stop switches off when you select this mode.

Thanks Eric 🙂

On 4/1/2023 at 9:07 PM, Spikecast said:

Thanks Eric 🙂

Just a further thought on this. I have found with my current car** that if you press the start-stop button when getting into the car with the key on your person the orange light does then come on when you press the ignition. 

I was looking over my new car the other day and It struck me that it might be quite easy to do this unintentionally when heaving yourself over the bolsters in the ST.😃

Otherwise I have had a similar issue with another (non-Ford) car when new and that did unfortunately turn out to be a fault which was sorted under warranty (internal short in the starter motor or so I was told).

(**Edit for anyone joining the thread - it was a ST-LX 140 but car changed and profile updated since the above post)

Edited by Eric Bloodaxe
Change of car since original post

On 4/1/2023 at 2:44 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Nope, just as expected - start-stop defaults to "on" when car started (so no orange light). On switching to Sport mode orange light comes on until engine stopped or Sport mode de-selected.  Drive mode reverts to Normal as default on re-start so no orange light unless start-stop is switched off with the button or Sport mode is selected.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 3:51 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Nope, just as expected - start-stop defaults to "on" when car started (so no orange light). On switching to Sport mode orange light comes on until engine stopped or Sport mode de-selected.  Drive mode reverts to Normal as default on re-start so no orange light unless start-stop is switched off with the button or Sport mode is selected.

Thanks Eric. Also another thing we've noticed, when using the ECO or Normal modes the main screen with speedometer etc the backlight/screen seems to faintly flicker, which is quite distracting. Any such issue with yours? I may have to get it to dealer to check. It's very hard to capture on a video via phone.

Only done 45 miles in mine so far (mostly on the way back from Tescos filling station this morning - only a mile but I went the long way round LOL)  but no, can't say I've noticed anything like that, Nick. 

I've mostly used Normal with the odd switch to Sport to see what changes. Not looked at Eco as it's not something I use.

So I wonder if there is any connection with your start/stop light, though can't think what at the mo.

Do please keep us updated with how you get on at the dealer - from what mine was telling me there's been quite a late rush for STs so I'm sure a fair few will be interested.

Hi Nick, happy new car day 😀

You might like to update your profile 👍

2019.JPG

I've got the digital display on my Fiesta and set it to Sport mode as soon as I start the engine, 6k miles now and can't say I've noticed any flicker...however I bet I will start seeing it now that you have mentioned it 🤪

8 minutes ago, martinf64 said:

I've got the digital display on my Fiesta and set it to Sport mode as soon as I start the engine, 6k miles now and can't say I've noticed any flicker...however I bet I will start seeing it now that you have mentioned it 🤪

so to make things even more strange we’ve just checked the screen tonight and no sign of flicker at all, will check again during the day, even my mrs could see it earlier today.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Spikecast said:

so to make things even more strange we’ve just checked the screen tonight and no sign of flicker at all, will check again during the day, even my mrs could see it earlier today.

Weird. Doing my first decent length drive tomorrow (up Wensleydale to our caravan). I'll keep an eye on things, though that road is so rough that everything seems to flicker!

• Haha 2

Well, checked again today and no sign of it, how odd! On a serrate note where is the best place to get genuine ford touch up paint from? 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spikecast said:

where is the best place to get genuine ford touch up paint from?

Ford parts department ? 🤔

37 minutes ago, unofix said:

Ford parts department ? 🤔

Was hoping to get one online, but looks like a trip to the dealer.

16 minutes ago, Spikecast said:

Was hoping to get one online, but looks like a trip to the dealer.

2 hours ago, Spikecast said:

Well, checked again today and no sign of it, how odd! On a serrate note where is the best place to get genuine ford touch up paint from? 🙂

Have a look at Chipex. It's a little expensive but looks better than the usual paint sticks once you get the knack of using it. I've used it on my last three cars and it does a pretty decent job.

https://chipex.co.uk/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spikecast said:

Nothing noted on my drive today. That said, in Normal the blue background is of varying intensities and on a sunny day like today reflections on the display, particularly when driving on a tree lined road, could indeed make you think it flickered. The black background in Sport is better I think, but got to say that Ford's take on digital instrumentation is not impressing so far.

Touch up - I normally use genuine Ford and my dealership normally give me a touch up.kit when I collect the car. I have seen good things about Chipex also, as Alan mentions.

PS - any progress on the orange light/start-stop issue btw?

3 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Nothing noted on my drive today. That said, in Normal the blue background is of varying intensities and on a sunny day like today reflections on the display, particularly when driving on a tree lined road, could indeed make you think it flickered. The black background in Sport is better I think, but got to say that Ford's take on digital instrumentation is not impressing so far.

Touch up - I normally use genuine Ford and my dealership normally give me a touch up.kit when I collect the car. I have seen good things about Chipex also, as Alan mentions.

PS - any progress on the orange light/start-stop issue btw?

Thanks Eric, we've been out in ours again today, no flicker on the screen at all so no idea what was going on previously. The stop/start light will illuminate in sport mode which is normal as it's automatically switched off. if you put the car in ECO or Normal the light shuts off and stop/start is back on. 🙂

4 minutes ago, Spikecast said:

The stop/start light will illuminate in sport mode which is normal as it's automatically switched off. if you put the car in ECO or Normal the light shuts off and stop/start is back on. 🙂

Yeah that's what I said earlier in the thread😃  So no actual problems at all then, which is good news.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yeah that's what I said earlier in the thread😃  So no actual problems at all then, which is good news.

None at all thankfully! 🙂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, martinf64 said:

Have a look at Chipex. It's a little expensive but looks better than the usual paint sticks once you get the knack of using it. I've used it on my last three cars and it does a pretty decent job.

https://chipex.co.uk/

Thanks 🙂 just been doing some reading on this, seems much better than ford pens from what I've seen.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club