Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine question please

AUDIdoTHAT

i have a 2013 zetec s 1.0 that needs a new engine,

Im fairly sure my engine code is M1DA according to my logbook 

Im speaking to somebody who has  an engine from a 2014 zetec with 32,000 miles a year ago at the last mot but he says the engine code is SFJC,

does anyone know if this is still compatible and a straight swap out,  if so great...

If not, whats the difference between the 2 and is it still useable.

thanks in advance

M1DA = 125 HP Focus MK3 / C-Max MK2 engine.
SFJC = 100 HP Fiesta MK7.5 / B-max MK1 engine.

The bottom end is identical but compared to the M1DA the SFJC has a different cylinder head, different flywheel and a different turbocharger.

The difference in cylinder head is mainly the valves. The 125 Focus MK3 versions have different material exhaust valves that are more resistant to high temperatures.

There are several options to use the SFJC engine.

1. Install the SFJC as it is in combination with the M1DA turbocharger and flywheel. I do not foresee much problems. 
2. Replace the exhaust valves of the SFJC and install it in combination with the M1DA turbocharger and flywheel. This should make the SFJC identical to the M1DA.
3. Install the M1DA cylinder head onto the SFJC bottom end and install it in combination with the M1DA turbocharger and flywheel. This should make the SFJC identical to the M1DA.

Note that on an engine of this age it is highly recommendable to replace the wetbelts. Once the wetbelts are removed it is a relative small job to remove/replace the cylinder head.

From a financial point of view the price of the SFJC engine + wetbelt change will soon equal the price of a brand new engine from Pumaspeed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JW1982 said:

From a financial point of view the price of the SFJC engine + wetbelt change will soon equal the price of a brand new engine from Pumaspeed.

Agreed. 👍

On 4/1/2023 at 11:05 AM, unofix said:

I very much doubt if there is such a thing as a "good" used 1.0 ecoboost engine. Unless someone is willing to give you at least a 3 year 40,000 mile warranty, all you are potentially doing is installing an unknown time bomb or an ecoboom 🙄.

Any used replacement regardless of age or mileage would need to be stripped and have the wet belts replaced as previous service will be unknown. To do this will cost around £1200 on top of the cost of the engine which will probably be between £1200 to £1400 plus fitting, unless you can do that yourself.

You can buy a brand new, with warranty 1.0 Ecoboost engine from PumaSpeed for £1999.90 inc VAT to fit yourself, or they will supply and fit for £2989.90 inc VAT

https://pumaspeed.co.uk/product-Brand-New-Ford-Service-10-EcoBoost-Engine_18898.jsp

Thanks for the replies, at this point we still have no idea how damaged mine is, fords just said evidence of coolant in the 3 cylinders, my local garage before fords showed me water/coolant spraying out of the spark plugs when they removed them and went to start it, It was however running briefly when it got delivered to me, im no mechanic but need to find out if its just a head gasket and other things, or if its totally knackered beyond that...   as we know an old boy who skims and does head gaskets etc,  but need to find out whats actually wrong, what can be replaced if anything etc.  the problem is i dont want to spend to much doing this, as if it turns out its all totally knackered, the money i spent finding out could of gone some way to replacing the engine, catch 22 really. depends how much somebody wants to properly tell me whats wrong. As i dont know if it was cooked badly when the pipe split or not. hopefully i can get somewhere with this next week

18 minutes ago, AUDIdoTHAT said:

if it turns out its all totally knackered, the money i spent finding out could of gone some way to replacing the engine

Apart from the recent issue with the failed coolant and major overheat which in 95% of cases renders the engine beyond economical repair, a 2013 Ecoboost 1.0 is due for the wet belts to be replaced now.

If the belts were replaced at a Ford dealer with the engine still in place as is normal, then the cost would be around £1600 +/- £200 depending on your location and the actual dealer. If you take the engine out to attempt a repair on the head then you are still going to have to replace the wet belts although it will be easier it's still going to add at least £800 to the bill and possibly £1200.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club