Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mileage Display not working

Jubly

Hi, my mileage display no longer works which means it won't pass the MOT. I've been told by my local Ford Dealer I will probably need a new instrument cluster which is expensive. Is there anything else it could be before I jump into paying for an expensive bit of kit to be fitted? Ideally, I'd like to go to my dealer sounding like I know what Im talking about and make other suggestions first. Any help is greatly appreciated 

18 minutes ago, Jubly said:

Hi, my mileage display no longer works which means it won't pass the MOT.

Hi, it should pass like that.  The speedometer must work, but there's no 'reason for rejection' covering the odometer as far as I'm aware.

The fix most likely will be a replacement cluster.  However this can be done by an independent, with a second hand part, as long as they have the tools to adjust the mileage on the replacement.

Is it law to show mileage?

I thought not?

Ask an MOT tester, before you splash out.

You could get a replacement 2nd hand cluster and use that, but it would need programming and reconfiguring (something Ford CANNOT refuse to do) once you've fitted it.

Or you could ask one of the repairers on eBay that fix the MK2 Focus Clusters if they could repair yours, I bet they can

• Like 1

Don't ask an MOT tester!  Or if you do, ask for the specific RFR.

I've had several issues with testers not understanding the wording in the manual and failing things they shouldn't.  Sadly it relies on having a good understanding of the English language, not everyone does.

at the risk of repeating myself and seeming like a fan club, go on facebook and look for Richard Arron Beetwell or Ollie jones they do these repairs every day can even supply a replacement cluster, Richard did  mine for £120 instead of the £1000+ Ford wanted, and no messing with mileage issues.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can confirm you do NOT need the mileage displayed, only the speedometer and it must also illuminate incase that doesn't work.

Oh and other warning lights obviously have to work

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club