Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kuga Titanium X 2010 -- retro fit passenger airbag switch

unofix
聽Share

I need to fit a passenger airbag switch to my daughters 2010 Kuga.

Any information as to what is required would be very appreciated.

Kuga airbag switch.JPG

Hi @iantt do you know if when fitting a passenger airbag deactivation switch to the above if anything needs setup with FORScan ?

Thanks 馃榾

No idea sorry.i will see if I can find some info.聽

• Like 1

Supprised it's not got one already.聽

Just need to find the tsb. Will have a look tommorow.聽

Screenshot_20230406-230723.png

• Thanks 1

I'm surprised it hasn't got one already.

The plug is on the IP harness already, just get the switch, it's plug and play

1 hour ago, DaveT70 said:

I'm surprised it hasn't got one already.

The plug is on the IP harness already, just get the switch, it's plug and play

Would have thought the rcm would need to know it's fitted and does the Kuga already have light to display when it's switched off.聽

Seems all the tsb before 2015 haven't been moved over to the new etis/PTS.聽

• Like 1

It's plug and play at that model year, no light. If it's switched to off it stays off until you switch it back on

• Like 2

On 4/7/2023 at 8:51 AM, DaveT70 said:

It's plug and play at that model year, no light. If it's switched to off it stays off until you switch it back on

The car would disagree with you 馃ぃ

So I fitted the switch inside the glovebox having removed the blank. After a little search found the PAD connector wrapped in some very sticky foam.

Plugged in the switch (set in the ON position) and turned on the ignition. All Hell broke loose !!! Got an immediate alarm of Engine Malfunction, followed by an Airbag warning light flashing. I had to turn the ignition off just to shut the warning alarm off.

Connected up FORScan and scanned all modules, found a DTC in the RCM with a message saying incompatible configuration.

Looked at the settings an there was only one which was showing "With Out PAD Switch"

Simple fix I thought so went in to edit that and changed it to "With PAD Switch" and then wrote that. Did the usual of cycling the ignition and clearing previous DTC's and expected that would be it, but no !!

EML light has gone out and alarm has stayed silent but have a 'Airbag Warning' light illuminated on the IC

So back in again with FORScan to see what the issue is. The RCM is now very unhappy because the 'Passenger Airbag Deactivation Light' is not working. I can confirm that to be true as there does not appear to be one fitted.

What next is the question ?

I can't get rid of the airbag warning light no matter which position the switch is in, and I can find no reference to the location of the missing warning light. Unless of course it's the light on the instrument cluster. If the light would go out when the passenger airbag was active, I'd be very happy.

Anyone got any thoughts, I could use some help with this problem ?

Any hidden TSB's from back in the day when the Kuga Mk1 was new ?

Here's hopping someone like @iantt or @DaveT70 might point in the right direction

Warning Lamp.JPG

warning LED.JPG

Off.JPG

On.JPG

You need the airbag deactivation light assy. You can't just switch it off and have no display of the state of the airbag. What if it's switched off for child/baby seat then an adult is next in the seat forgetting to switch it back on. Could be messy in an accident .聽

• Thanks 1

I believe the pad light is near the handbrake area, is there space for a light there?聽

Look to the left of your wiring diagram.聽

Screenshot_20230410-214920.png

• Like 1

Hi Ian thanks for confirming that. I've just this moment printed out the two pages of the schematic and joined them together. 馃憤

So yes near the handbrake is a button to the left to turn the rear parking sensors off. Next to it on the right is a blank. I've just found an airbag deactivation light module which has a blank space to the left. I'm wondering if I can combine both the existing switch for the parking sensors and the airbag warning light and rebuild them as one complete assembly. I very much doubt I will be able to find the dual module after all this time and I don't even have a part number for it.

Airbag light.JPG

parking switch.JPG

Should be easy enough to combine both.聽

3 minutes ago, iantt said:

Should be easy enough to combine both.聽

I'll let you know if and when I get one. The unit shares the connector on the back, so only one plug that connects both parts.

• 2 weeks later...

So the passenger airbag OFF warning light and combined Parking sensor switch has been 'made' and fitted. All is working correctly and no DTC's or Airbag system warning lights. For anyone who wants to make one here are some photos that will help.

ABL 001.JPG

ABL 002.JPG

ABL 003.JPG

ABL 004.JPG

ABL 005.JPG

ABL 006.JPG

ABL 007.JPG

ABL 008.JPG

ABL 009.JPG

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

Hi there, we're currently looking around for a dealer that will do this for us, but it appears most aren't willing to even with the disclaimer?

I was just wondering how easy this would be to DIY for someone that's only got a bit of experience with audio electronics? I'll get pictures later but I think it's the same model Kuga we have as it's a 65 plate.聽Do these parts just slot in without any need for soldering?聽

Also, from an issuance point of view do they have some magic record of whether these are fitted on certain reg of a car, as it seems like they need to be informed? Do any get arsey about stuff like this? Ta for any help!

I'd be very surprised if a 2015 didn't have one fitted

Hi,

Your 2015 (65 reg) Kuga is a different model to the 2010 version that I fitted the switch to.

Fitting the keyswitch is quite easy and it just plugs in. It is a little difficult to actually locate the wiring plug as Ford have it well wrapped up with a sticky foam tape.

This next part may not apply to a 2015 model that probably has the warning light fitted in the overhead console.

• The biggest problem will be obtaining the "Passenger Air Bag" warning light which Ford no longer sell. The system will not work without it and you get a constant warning light on the instrument cluster that can't be disabled. As you can see from the photos above I had to use two Ford parts and combine them to make the full switch and warning light.

Once you have all the hardware fitted then you just need to use FORScan to programme the car so that it knows it is now fitted with the Air Bag keyswitch.

With the correct parts (good luck) the work only takes just over an hour.

See handbook for details. (page 28).

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/ENUSA_CG3585_KGS_og_201408.pdf

20.JPG

On 1/3/2024 at 12:09 PM, DaveT70 said:

I'd be very surprised if a 2015 didn't have one fitted

Unfortunately not! It's been VERY thoroughly investigated haha. Hopefully we'll have some luck with the dealer today; we've had mixed reports from a couple as to whether this is feasible, and it took my girlfriend pestering or pretty sexist local one on the basis that another said they'd do it for them to agree to take it on. If one of the parts is a **** to find I can imagine it's gonna reduce our chances a little though! Thanks for the help though, if it comes to DIY I'll be back! Hopefully not as it looks like that's require cutting into the side of the dash myself which isn't gonna be pretty!!!

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, BassMasterGeneral said:

if it comes to DIY I'll be back! Hopefully not as it looks like that's require cutting into the side of the dash myself which isn't gonna be pretty!!!

Have a drive to Durham and I'll fit it while you wait 馃槈

So they've fitted the switch and it's throwing up an error when they've "coded it in" which they can't sort out with the diagnostics, so it seems like there isn't a light to indicate when it's disabled. In the manual it says something about it being in an overhead unit, but we can't see any lights up there, however there's a next to useless to us glasses holder, would this be where the display would live if it had one?

6 hours ago, unofix said:

Have a drive to Durham and I'll fit it while you wait 馃槈

Didn't see this before I replied haha, I'd we've got no luck with Scarborough/York we might take you up on sorting the rest out!

Can you post a few photos of the overhead console where the light might have been or should be. Also photos of the glasses holder area ?

They're on it apparently, spoke to another of their branches and they were perplexed as to why they'd started this when there was some documentation for doing it which outlined what parts were needed etc. If there's any more drama will do though, and my girlfriend goes up to Newcastle uni fairly regularly so can bring it past if needed!!! Appreciate the help

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club