Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Exhaust filter over limit. Service now.

Franski

Hi folks.

Got an alert on dashboard saying exhaust filter over limit service now. Anyone know if I need to book in to garage and if i should be worried. 

2021 Ford fiesta eccoboost/ hybrid.

Car was only serviced in jan this year. 

Thanks. 

1 minute ago, Franski said:

filter over limit service now

2 minutes ago, Franski said:

Car was only serviced in jan this year.

You are not the first and you will not be the last to think it is asking for a "Service"

it's Fords way of saying "Engine broken, fix me now"

I think we have seen similar problems reported on the forum before. Just get it booked in sooner rather than later, I suspect there is a software update for the vehicle to fix the issue.

• Like 1

Is it safe to drive until I get it booked in? Im maybe going for Tuesday to see if they can look at it. I only drive to work and back in between. Dealership about 6 miles away so I can leave car at home and only drive it to dralership when its booked in of its better. 

Phoned Ford dealership today to book it in. Nothing avail until end of May 🙄. She said I should have had a " drive to clear " message. Never had one, first alert I've ever had was the exhaust filter over limit, service now. Advised that i was to take it a drive along motorway to clear it. Is this the right thing to do?  I've used bus this morning as I'm unsure if it's gonna make it worse driving it. 

Cheers 

Also waiting on Ford UK to contact me about it. Its 2 years old and petrol car. 

It's probably a false message if you never got the 'drive to clear' first.  So yes, you might as well keep driving it for now.  If it goes into limp mode or you get any other warnings come up then would be the time to reconsider using alternative transport in the meantime.

• Like 1

Thank you

I've used public transport this morning as i don't even know what to if it goes into limp mode. In the meantime I've asked my husband to pelt it down motorway when he has a minute. 

Don't think she believed me when i said I've never had the drive to clear message but i honestly haven't. She was going on about light on dashboard . I'm then explaining its not a fault light (yet) it's an information message on dashboard and if I press ok it goes away. God knows. 

I've attached a pic I found online showing what's it's saying. 

Screenshot_20230414-102915_Google.jpg

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Franski said:

Thank you

I've used public transport this morning as i don't even know what to if it goes into limp mode. In the meantime I've asked my husband to pelt it down motorway when he has a minute. 

Don't think she believed me when i said I've never had the drive to clear message but i honestly haven't. She was going on about light on dashboard . I'm then explaining its not a fault light (yet) it's an information message on dashboard and if I press ok it goes away. God knows. 

I've attached a pic I found online showing what's it's saying. 

Screenshot_20230414-102915_Google.jpg

Limp mode still allows you to drive the car.  Just with reduced power.  (So don't try to squeeze into any gaps when pulling out lol).

We have seen this a few times and it's been a simple ECU error, rather than an actual fault.  Unfortunately the only people that can update the ECU software are a Ford garage.

The car doesn't have to be driven hard on the motorway, that advice is more for diesel filters...and it's about 20 years out of date.  Just a longer normal drive should do it if it really is blocked.  (But as above, I don't think it will be).

• Like 1

Thank you. 

I'll be back when it's had a long drive and let you know. Its more annoying as the alert goes off now as soon as car is started. Order than that it only happened when driving home yesterday. I'm not a long driver so I suppose that's half the issue . Car is only used for work and shopping . No motorways involved. I can switch alert off pressing ok so here's hoping the longer drive resolves the issue  

There will be no harm done if you continue to drive it.

I'm 99% certain that there was/is a software update to fix this warning which is an error. As Tom has said the worst that will happen is the vehicle will go in to limp mode, and will still be safe to drive home.

You can try the long drive to clear the message. The normal procedure was to drive for 20 to 30 minutes at a constant 60mph (good luck in finding a road that you can do that on these days).

• Like 1

As others have said there is nothing to worry about. 

The procedure for cleaning a Gasoline Particulate Filter by driving is different to what you would do with a Diesel Particulate Filter. Here is an extract from my Owners Manual, your one will be similar.

Gasoline Particulate Filter Regeneration
Particles in the exhaust gas collect in the gasoline particulate filter causing a gradual restriction over time. This restriction is removed through a regeneration process controlled by the engine control system. The regeneration process converts the particles in the exhaust gas into harmless gases.
Regeneration occurs during normal driving, to varying degrees depending on how you drive. Passive regeneration occurs when you drive at moderate to high speed but if you generally drive short distances at low speed, the engine control system could actively raise the exhaust gas temperature to remove the particles that have collected in the filter to make sure that it continues to correctly operate.

To assist passive regeneration, we recommend that you make occasional journeys that allow you to:

• Drive at a varied range of conditions, including highway conditions for a minimum of 20 minutes.
  • Avoid prolonged engine idling.
  • Select a suitable gear to maintain engine speed between 1500 and 4000 RPM.
If the filter is saturated or is approaching saturation, a warning lamp illuminates or a message appears in the information display.
Note:   A warning lamp illuminates and a message appears in the information display on some vehicles.
If you do not take action when a warning lamp illuminates or a message appears in the information display, you could cause damage not covered by the vehicle Warranty.
Gasoline Particulate Filter Warning Lamps and Indicators
Engine Warning Lamp  Malfunction indicator lamp.  
Gasoline Particulate Filter Information Messages

Message   Action  
Exhaust Filter at Limit Drive to Clean Now
  • Drive at a varied range of conditions, including highway conditions for 20 minutes or until the message disappears.
  • Avoid prolonged engine idling.
  • Select a suitable gear to maintain engine speed between 1500 and 4000 RPM.
Exhaust Filter Over Limit service Now
  • Drive at a moderate speed.
  • Avoid heavy acceleration and deceleration.
  • Have your vehicle checked as soon as possible.

• Like 2

Thanks for all your advice  guys.

I'll let you know how I get on. 

Morning,

Husband took car for a long drive yesterday as advised to do so by Ford dealership.  Information message has gone for now ( I've not driven it yet so fingers crossed). 

Ford have also been in touch with usual list of questions and asked what assistance I'm looking for from them. Anything you guys can think of that i should be asking?  I'm not 100% sure I won't get this exhaust filter message again. 

Thanks 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Franski said:

Ford have also been in touch with usual list of questions and asked what assistance I'm looking for from them. Anything you guys can think of that i should be asking?  I'm not 100% sure I won't get this exhaust filter message again. 

Ask them if there is a PCM update available for your car.

• Like 2

Hi guys, 

This is the response from Ford UK. Car has been on 2 drives now and message hasn't appeared again (yet).

I will update once I've had more advice from technicians . I've done all evan halshaw and ford advised. Still no answer r.e software update. 

Screenshot_20230418-075223_Outlook.jpg

Screenshot_20230418-075247_Outlook.jpg

1 hour ago, Franski said:

Hi guys, 

This is the response from Ford UK. Car has been on 2 drives now and message hasn't appeared again (yet).

I will update once I've had more advice from technicians . I've done all evan halshaw and ford advised. Still no answer r.e software update. 

Screenshot_20230418-075223_Outlook.jpg

Screenshot_20230418-075247_Outlook.jpg

Those instructions are for a Diesel Particulate Filter not a Gasoline Particulate Filter, and do not explain why you did not get the first Drive to Clean message before the one that said it was blocked.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Tizer said:

Those instructions are for a Diesel Particulate Filter not a Gasoline Particulate Filter, and do not explain why you did not get the first Drive to Clean message before the one that said it was blocked.

Typical useless 'customer service' response unfortunately. :rolleyes: 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yip. I did reply pointing out its a petrol car. Asked again if there's a software update needed so will keep you posted. My car is still under the 3 yr warranty so was wanting some some sort of reassurance from them if I'm honest. 

• Like 2

To give you a giggle, I complained about several plastic wheel nut covers missing from a sub 3 year old car I bought recently.  There are 20 nuts, so should be 20 covers.  Simple enough right?  The reply that came back was - "we only supply up to 4 locking wheel nut keys, one key for each locking wheel nut."  :laugh: 

Firstly...I never mentioned the locking wheel nuts.  Secondly, can you imagine the hassle of carrying 4 separate keys and having to go through them all each time you needed to change a wheel. :lol:

It's a shame they don't employ people with at least a basic understanding of cars in these customer service positions! :rolleyes1:

• Haha 5

34 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

It's a shame they don't employ people with at least a basic understanding of cars in these customer service positions!

Yes, they're normally on the chocolate teapot level of usefulness. However I did (much to my surprise) get a decent response from SEAT when I queried what their dealer was telling me about service requirements. The reply was very cleverly phrased in diplomatic language but basically confirmed what I thought : ie the dealer was telling porkies!

• Like 2

Morning folks 

My second response from Ford .

Message hasn't been on again since car was taken out a longer drive so hoping that's it sorted . Still nothing r.e updates 🙄

Screenshot_20230421-064517_Outlook.jpg

Screenshot_20230421-064537_Outlook.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Franski said:

My second response from Ford .

Well, at least they've realised it's a petrol engine now!😃

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys  

This is final email from Ford. Message hasn't appeared again but hubby has been taking it along motorway once a week to keep exhaust clear so praying that's the end of it 🙏

Thanks for all your advice. 

Screenshot_20230503-122308_Outlook.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

They're unable to advise why the message didn't appear - but are sure that it will appear in future?  Must be employing psychics...

Decent result with the goodwill gesture though!  Hopefully it'll be fine now. :smile: 

• Like 1