Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hi everyone smoking white

dean52

Hi all

I am new to this forum and wish to introduce myself.

Im from south wales and have a fab old galaxy 2004 diesel and spent what ever is needed on it to keep it as good as possible.

Seen a lot of money ha ha.

I have a very strange issue.

Approx 3 months back it was smoking white from under the car,horrible smell but once car gets hot it stops( needs to be very hot tho)

I was advised by garage this is normal and that they do this every now amd again, it did this for around 1 week then stopped and seemed ok for approx 3 weeks then did it again and stopped again.

I have asked garage few times and said its normal but no way is this normal as it has not done it in all the years we had it and only been doing of late.

I have read lots and some say glow plugs but then others have changed and no difference and also read there is a separate exhaust?( is it a booster exhaust)

I am needed to know if anyone can say what it is as im worried garage be doing things that are not needed.

Also does anyone know where i can get a tow bar for it as my 4x4 has given up the ghost and was hoping to tow the caravan with it.

Thanks all.

Dean 

Sounds to me like the vehicle is just doing a 'Regen' which is very normal.

What mileage has the engine done ?

Does it get regular long runs on a motorway of 20 to 30 minutes ?

13 hours ago, unofix said:

Hi unofix it has had many long runs of late approx 75 miles etc, i been out this am on did short run and soon as i stop it smokes and smells crazy.

I notice its making a noise as well from down by passenger rear door.

I have had this previously but not like now,its as if its every time i use car and only doesnt happen when i go on very long run.

Cheers.

14 hours ago, unofix said:

Mileage is 126860 and just had full service

I'm not sure what is fitted in your exhaust system regarding catalytic converter, diesel particulate filter, but Tom @TomsFocus  probably will know.

Thanks again unofix

I hope The gentleman you tagged can help me, i love this vehicle and its never wanted for anything so keep to get it back to as it was.

Doesnt lack any power it and once hot its perfect with normal smoke.

Thanks Dean

Which engine is it?  Size and power?

Early Galaxy's were basically a VW Sharan, so most have a 1.9 PD without a DPF.

• Like 1

Hi Tom

Its a 2004 forg galaxy ghia and had 19Tdi engine cf53, i think the sharan and alhambra are practically the same.

I can actually see it billowing out from a small exhaust below rear passenger door towards the back wheel.

In the years we had this it did it probably 2 years ago for a day but all of a sudden its doing it very very regular unless we go on very long drive.

It even does it after turn engine off for a while.

I am awful with cars ha ha i didnt even know about wnat looks like second exhaust lol.

Noise and smell as well.

Any idea if i need to change anything to get it working as it was?

Thanks ever so much trying to help.

• Thanks 1

Might be an odd question but have you got the heaters switched on?  I'm wondering if you've got an additional diesel fired heater fitted.  They aren't often fitted to UK vehicles but that's the only thing I can think of needing a second exhaust.

If you can post a picture of it, that might help us understand what's happening.

FORD GALAXY 2000-2006 WEBASTO PARKING HEATING | eBay

Picture 1 of 5

Well i been out and started it and no smoke from it, nothing at all but can smell it from earlier.

I then drove 2 miles( engine not heated up by then) and turned engine off and nothing again. Drove back to house and sat ticking over for 15 mins and again no smoke so turned engine off and no smoke?

I have taken some pics of area. There looks like 2 pipes coming into an area then come out and a pipe into a small exhaust with small box on it.

Im not sure pics give you any idea.

20230416_140606.jpg

56 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Might be an odd question but have you got the heaters switched on?  I'm wondering if you've got an additional diesel fired heater fitted.  They aren't often fitted to UK vehicles but that's the only thing I can think of needing a second exhaust.

If you can post a picture of it, that might help us understand what's happening.

Picture 1 of 5

It is typical didnt do it just now but this am awful and yesterday awful all day until car very hot

This is the handbook for the 2006 Galaxy but will be very similar to yours regarding the operation of the auxiliary diesel heater (which your car does seem to have). I think you will find that somehow the heater time clock has been turned on by accident. Perhaps when adjusting the clock recently for summer time ?

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/ENUSA_CG3533_GLX_og_200701.pdf

See page 122 to 126 for operation of the heater.

If you still have the original Ford owners handbook for your car it will give the correct details for the 2004 model

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, dean52 said:

Im pretty sure its same as you posted Tom

Yeah, that's a fuel fired heater.  The noise and smell is normal operation for them, but I don't know why it's randomly coming on now.

Hopefully you can keep it switched off using the handbook instructions Unofix posted.  If not, you might as well just unplug the electric plug in it.  It definitely won't come on then.

38 minutes ago, unofix said:

This is the handbook for the 2006 Galaxy but will be very similar to yours regarding the operation of the auxiliary diesel heater (which your car does seem to have). I think you will find that somehow the heater time clock has been turned on by accident. Perhaps when adjusting the clock recently for summer time ?

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/ENUSA_CG3533_GLX_og_200701.pdf

See page 122 to 126 for operation of the heater.

If you still have the original Ford owners handbook for your car it will give the correct details for the 2004 model

Thanks very much

18 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Yeah, that's a fuel fired heater.  The noise and smell is normal operation for them, but I don't know why it's randomly coming on now.

Hopefully you can keep it switched off using the handbook instructions Unofix posted.  If not, you might as well just unplug the electric plug in it.  It definitely won't come on then.

Thanks so much

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Picture 1 of 5

Hi Tom only just seen some of this,you ask if its switched on.

I may sound silly but where is the button?

I have not pressed anything but my wife could have.

Only buttons look like demise back and front windows and parking button.

I never press anything just drive ha ha.

14 minutes ago, dean52 said:

Hi Tom only just seen some of this,you ask if its switched on.

I may sound silly but where is the button?

I have not pressed anything but my wife could have.

Only buttons look like demise back and front windows and parking button.

I never press anything just drive ha ha.

I don't think it has a separate physical button.  On the later models it's done through the dash screen menu as shown in the handbook Unofix posted.

If you've got the handbook for your car, it would be best to check that to confirm exactly how it works.  

I thought it would only come on automatically if it was really cold outside and you had the heating turned to max, but it's not particularly cold now so it would make more sense that the timer has been switched on accidentally.

As said in my post above it is operated by the clock.

It can and does operate at anytime that it is set to regardless of whether the engine is on or not. It will not operate once the outside temp gets above 15oC

All the information on how it operates and how to turn it on or off is in the handbook.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, unofix said:

As said in my post above it is operated by the clock.

It can and does operate at anytime that it is set to regardless of whether the engine is on or not. It will not operate once the outside temp gets above 15oC

All the information on how it operates and how to turn it on or off is in the handbook.

Hi Again Unofix.

Im so sorry to keep asking,im terrible with cars so if you could help me.i look in my handbook  and have added a pic, and a pic of my  clock.

I dont have the same if you look at pics.

20230416_194051.jpg

20230416_193925.jpg

32 minutes ago, dean52 said:

Hi Again Unofix.

Im so sorry to keep asking,im terrible with cars so if you could help me.i look in my handbook  and have added a pic, and a pic of my  clock.

I dont have the same if you look at pics.

20230416_194051.jpg

20230416_193925.jpg

It's not just you, that really isn't clear.   I haven't seen a digital clock like that in a UK Galaxy of this age, they have the analogue clock on top of the dashboard iirc.

I think it's probably controlled automatically by the climate control panel in your car. 

Best advice I can offer is to switch the vents to face or feet instead of windscreen.  And make sure the temp isn't set too high, about 20c should be fine.  Also putting the climate to 'Eco' mode may stop the aux heater running as well.

Do you have an overhead digital clock ?

overhead clock.JPG

Left Hand Drive. Heater clock above the mirror

heater clock.JPG

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, unofix said:

Do you have an overhead digital clock ?

overhead clock.JPG

Dont have this either  but I'm very grateful you trying to help me

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club