Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

When did passport photos become so complicated??

StephenFord

My passport is due for renewal in a few months, so thought I'd treat myself to a proper photograph. On arrival to the chemist/photo department, I was offered 4 x different styles. A UK 'digital' or 'hard copy' photo, or an Irish 'digital' of 'hard copy'. For a start, I've no idea why Uk & Ireland have different specifications for their photos, you'd think there'd be one standard. Also, in 'digital', they are not interchangeable using 2 different systems. 

I opted for a UK digital, and an Irish hard copy. I'll apply for an Irish passport in about a years time so I'll keep the photos for later use. I learned a lesson from car tax and MOT, wise to have 6 months separation between the 2 so you don't panic at renewal date getting 2 things done simultaneously!

I know I'm fortunate being born in NI entitling me to dual citizenship, meaning that with Ireland still in the EU, I can then join shorter queues at airports, and I believe that Irish passport holders are treated kinder in airplane kidnap situations :laughing:

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I know I'm fortunate being born in NI entitling me to dual citizenship,

I've always known that UK and ROI citizens have reciprocal rights on various matters because of history, but never appreciated that point and none of my various friends/business acquaintances from NI have ever mentioned it. So again, every days a schoolday on here!

Pretty handy for you then Stephen, but I hope you never have to put the airline kidnap theory to the test!😃

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I've always known that UK and ROI citizens have reciprocal rights on various matters because of history, but never appreciated that point...

It is actually enshrined in the Good Friday Agreement...(Schedule 1, article 2)

"It is the entitlement and birthright of every person born in the island of Ireland, which includes its islands and seas, to be part of the Irish nation."

I have heard horror stories recently on the length of time now taken for passport processing. Well, I ordered mine on Tuesday 18th (this week), and received it Friday 21st (this week)!!

3 day service is pretty impressive! I have no idea if the system has now been fixed, or if I'm just lucky, but whatever the reason, absolutely no cause for complaint!

• Like 2

Just now, StephenFord said:

3 day service is pretty impressive! I have no idea if the system has now been fixed, or if I'm just lucky, but whatever the reason, absolutely no cause for complaint!

It's the luck of the Irish 👍

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Hey there! Yeah, the whole passport photo thing has gotten way more complicated over time. You'd think by now, countries would agree on some kind of universal standard, but no, we're still dealing with all this variety. I don't get it either! Good call on getting both UK and Irish passport photos, though. Dual citizenship is such a blessing! I've heard that the shorter queues at airports for Irish passport holders are a game changer, so it's definitely worth considering. Plus, I've got no idea if this is true, but some people on fakeyourdrank.com were joking around about how having an Irish passport might be more helpful in plane hijacking situations. Who knows? Better safe than sorry, right?

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, KiannaBurnett said:

Hey there! Yeah, the whole passport photo thing has gotten way more complicated over time. You'd think by now, countries would agree on some kind of universal standard, but no, we're still dealing with all this variety. I don't get it either! Good call on getting both UK and Irish passport photos, though. Dual citizenship is such a blessing! I've heard that the shorter queues at airports for Irish passport holders are a game changer, so it's definitely worth considering. Plus, I've got no idea if this is true, but some people on fakeyourdrank.com were joking around about how having an Irish passport might be more helpful in plane hijacking situations. Who knows? Better safe than sorry, right?

LN_023432_BP_11.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Turvey said:

LN_023432_BP_11.jpg

As Spam goes, it's quite innocuous. He didn't even ask for my bank account details 😂

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, StephenFord said:

As Spam goes, it's quite innocuous. He didn't even ask for my bank account details 😂

Send them to me and I'll pass them on 😉

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club