Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Very Odd Advisory On Recent M.O.T. Test

kingfisher1967

I had my 2nd M.O.T. with my current Focus last week and along with the expected brakes and tyres advisories, I also had "Nearside Front Lower Tax Disk Holder In Windscreen Within Swept Zone"

Is this a recent thing now?

I've had my own disc since about 2015 (as well as a parking permit between 2019 and 2021) and this is the first time having one has come up.

me 1967.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Long as its in a top or bottom corner passenger side, seems like the tester is being an a55

• Like 3

Makes you wonder how for generations we were legally obliged to display these discs without any objection from the MOT guy!

I have an on street parking permit similar to the old tax disc, that must be permanently displayed in my vehicle otherwise i will get ticketed, due to living near a football ground and a school, tho my property was here first i think 1937.

I think the clue might be "Within the swept zone".  Elsewhere no problem.

• Like 2

You'd have to be an extreme jobsworth to advise on a 'tax disc'!

In practice, the annual test will check that items placed in or stuck to the windscreen or surface damage, cracks or discolouration in the windscreen do not seriously obscure the vision of the driver. In order to better define what maybe permissible the windscreen is divided into zones:

• Zone A is a vertical area 290mm wide, centred on the steering wheel and contained within the swept area of the windscreen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

So why are garage stickers on the rear screen of all cars not failable

22 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

The rear screen isn't part of the MOT.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The rear screen isn't part of the MOT.

Aha ! cheers

Gonna remove the one on mine before it gets limo tinted

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jimpster said:

we drive forwards on public roads

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Makes you wonder how for generations we were legally obliged to display these discs without any objection from the MOT guy!

The rules haven't changed as such. Official badges/stickers are permissable. So tax disc in the corner wasn't a fail. But as a tax disc is no longer an official badge anymore, then it can be advised I guess. Bit pointless if it's not obscuring the view. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to go with a Jobsworth, there has never been an issue with all my previous cars going through their M.O.T.  Maybe I'll get it tested elsewhere next year 🤔

• Like 1

On 4/27/2023 at 12:34 PM, StephenFord said:

Never had a car where I didn't immediately remove such stickers - they don't advertise me, why should I advertise them!

I usually do that, but the (standard) rear glass on both my current (and previous) Mk 8 Fiestas is so dark you can't see it anyway so I've not bothered! See below:

DSC_0106.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kingfisher1967 said:

Maybe I'll get it tested elsewhere next year

Why?

Take any irrelevant stickers out the window. Why you would want an old tax disc in the the window I've no idea. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, iantt said:

Take any irrelevant stickers out the window. Why you would want an old tax disc in the the window I've no idea. 

I use to keep a 1995 tax disc in my 1995 Celica GT4 just for 'vintage' sake, I liked it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alanfp said:

Why?

Because the MOT tester was being a total cockwomble!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, FatHead1979 said:

Because the MOT tester was being a total cockwomble!

Now, is that a cousin of Uncle Bulgaria? LOL

12 hours ago, iantt said:

Why you would want an old tax disc in the the window I've no idea. 

To compliment the fluffy dice and beaded seat covers of course! :whistling:

• Haha 1

Talking of A-hole testers, my mech before taking mine removed my seatbelt extender as am rather portly gent shall we say haha

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

To compliment the fluffy dice and beaded seat covers of course! :whistling:

Yeah, your not wrong there. 🤣

4 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Now, is that a cousin of Uncle Bulgaria? LOL

Yeah, he's the uncle that no one talks about because of things he's done in his past...🤪

• Haha 1

I had a French crit'air sticker in the bottom right corner of my windscreen, where I drove through France last summer (apparently it has to be in this position even in a right-hand-drive car). I wasn't sure if I'd fail my MOT because of it so I removed it before it went in, just in case. If I'd left it, do you think the car would have failed? (It can't be removed without destroying it and a pain to apply for a replacement every time I drive through France or Switzerland).

18 minutes ago, Dark Andy said:

If I'd left it, do you think the car would have failed?

There is only one person in the world who can answer that question. The actual MOT tester who checked your car. Almost all would not fail it as the sticker is a legally required item (albeit in France not here). However it's down to the individual MOT tester as to how they interpret the rules.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club