Do Not Sell My Personal Information

S-Max 66 Plate Brake Pad & Disc Change

Dapper

Hi all,

I am going to change the front break pads + rear discs and pads on my 66 plate s-max.  If anyone has any advice after completing the job yourself, it would be much appreciated.  I wonder if any special tools are required or anything special for this car?  If anyone has seen a good guide, please share and wish me luck!

I thought I'd do this now because I had the esc warning going off ever journey and need to replace the front right ABS sensor.

Thanks,

D.

I don't know specifically for the S-max, but you will almost certainly need a piston wind-back tool for the rear callipers. For my Fiesta I had to buy a universal kit as the tool I had for my previous car didn't fit. You may need a 7mm allen socket or allen key to remove the calliper from the carrier bracket, check first. It may simply be a bolt so spanner/socket can be used. 

• Like 1

I think the S-Max will be EPB so no windback tool needed.  You'll need to move them into service position electronically instead.

• Like 2

Yes, my car a EPB so glad I don't need that tool! Thanks.

10 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I think the S-Max will be EPB so no windback tool needed.  You'll need to move them into service position electronically instead.

I never thought of Electronic Hand Brakes. Do you have to plug the car into a laptop to put it into service mode, which I understand you have to for VAG cars, or can it be done through the dashboard/centre system?

I found this on the internet:

Ford S-Max/Galaxy Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) Manual release/Service mode

The following procedures should be followed before service work is carried out on the electronic parking brake system fitted to the Ford S-max/Galaxy models 2006-2008.

service mode activation (EPB off)

Release the parking brake

Switch ignition ON (pos 2)

Press and hold down throttle pedal

Press and hold down the parking brake switch

Switch ignition Off (pos 0)

Switch ignition ON (pos 2) within 5 seconds

When the parking brake has fully actuated (off) switch ignition OFF (pos 0)

Release throttle pedal

Release parking brake switch

service mode de-activation (EPB on)

Switch ignition ON (pos 2)

Press and hold down throttle pedal

Lift and hold the parking brake switch

Switch ignition Off (pos 0)

Switch ignition ON (pos 2) within 5 seconds

When the parking brake has fully actuated (on) switch ignition OFF (pos 0)

Release throttle pedal

Release parking brake switch

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jim H said:

I never thought of Electronic Hand Brakes. Do you have to plug the car into a laptop to put it into service mode, which I understand you have to for VAG cars, or can it be done through the dashboard/centre system?

As above, it can be done through the dash.  Although that says 2006-2008, it still works for the later models.

Some of the later VAG cars can also be done through the dash now - plus there is a 'hack' for the older ones without using VCDS.

• Thanks 1

I've purchased the new RHS front ABS sensor, front brake pads, rear discs and pads.  Also got some disc lube.  Is there anything else or any ford specific tools you all think I will need?

On 5/5/2023 at 10:03 AM, TomsFocus said:

Some of the later VAG cars can also be done through the dash now - plus there is a 'hack' for the older ones without using VCDS.

Thanks, my sister in-law has a 5 year old (67) Golf which has an EPB. I heard it could only be done via VCDS, which I don't have or a cable. I will have to read forums and/or watch Youtube vids if I am needed to change them. It will probably be done by a garage anyway.

VCDS is for Volkswagen/Audi Group (VAG) cars. You would need FORSCAN to do the same thing with a ford. However, it is not necessary as it can be done with a combination of dashboard controls as above. I changed front and rear pads on my S-Max and it was one of the easiest jobs to do. No special tools required.

I ended up just manually releasing the handbrake.  I couldn't seem to get it to release following the steps.  It turns out that a wind back tool would have been useful as it was a pain with pliers. Oh and I needed an 11mm allen key and only had a 10.  Apart from that, it all went smoothly.

Now just a repair on the front right ABS sensor - I keep having the esc service required warnings and it seems often to be the front right one.  I had intended to do it at the same time but... the part I got didn't fit.  I think it must be for the mk1 s-max.

Ive got a 13 plate Titanium X Sport. I did the rears a few years ago - i needed that wind back tool...

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the advice.  The change went well - we used pliers and a clamp because we didn't have the wind back tool  1 month later and the brakes are still working and no wheels have fallen off!

One issue, completely my fault - I am an idiot... I seem to have lost my locking wheel nut!!!!  Any advise on this apart from giving ford several hundred quid.  It was in the little bag when it went missing.  I think the replacement code was on the bag!

1 hour ago, Dapper said:

One issue, completely my fault - I am an idiot... I seem to have lost my locking wheel nut!!!!  Any advise on this apart from giving ford several hundred quid.  It was in the little bag when it went missing.  I think the replacement code was on the bag!

Ford won't help without the code.  Top tip for anyone else - take a photo of it when you first get the car. 

I'm guessing these are the later type with the notches out of the edge?  Best option you've got is having them removed with a universal locker remover at a tyre garage (probably charge £20 or so).  Then buy another set with a key.  Cost £50-£75 at Ford or about half that used.

You're totally right.  Definitely take a photo of the code and keep it safe - lesson learnt!  Called a local garage that specializes in Fords and they charge £75 to remove the old nuts and fit a new Ford set with new key!  Ford garage would not help unless I gave them several hundred pounds!

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club