Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Charger cap opens even without a key with the user(kuga phev

Gaganseth

Hi All ,
May be a silly question or this is how it work but unsure hence asking the question.

Electric charging flap/cover doesnt get lock (though it closes ) even if the car key is not nearby .

i tried parking the car away from the fob key(not in range ) but can still open the charging point flap on my ford kuga .

is that how it work and if so , isn’t it a risk .
thanks

1 hour ago, Gaganseth said:

isn’t it a risk

Are you worried that someone might come along and charge your car? 

I'm not absolutely sure about Kugas, but there are other PHEVs that don't have locking flaps.

• Like 1

Yeah, I would be gutted if someone came along and poured in some electrons. 

The actual petrol fuel flap is locking. 

• Haha 4

Quite a lot of stuff now appearing on the web about charging ports. Number one appears to be problems with the flap not opening - leaving you with the same problem as if your petrol filler flap is stuck.

Several reports of ports being vandalised and stuffed with cr*p. Saw one report of ports being stuffed with meat (of all things) in Germany!

So a locking flap might make some sense.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Quite a lot of stuff now appearing on the web about charging ports. Number one appears to be problems with the flap not opening - leaving you with the same problem as if your petrol filler flap is stuck.

Several reports of ports being vandalised and stuffed with cr*p. Saw one report of ports being stuffed with meat (of all things) in Germany!

So a locking flap might make some sense.

So if it's lockable you can't open it and if it's not lockable it's vandalised. So what's the answer then?? Can't have your cake and eat it!!! My electric port flap is lockable and has an emergency release cable built in if the electric release fails( typical Korean forward thinking unlike ford ) 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, iantt said:

So if it's lockable you can't open it

Use the force young Jedi 🤣

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, iantt said:

So what's the answer then?? Can't have your cake and eat it!!! My electric port flap is lockable and has an emergency release cable built in if the electric release fails( typical Korean forward thinking unlike ford ) 

Sounds like that's the answer then! (BTW you're not expecting us to believe you don't eat your cake, are you?😃)

Still relatively early days for EVs though - quite possibly wireless charging might make ports unnecessary longer term.

• Haha 1

I can have my Korean  cake and eat it . Quite happily using someone else's electric today touring round the isle of wight. ( Even though it is  ***** it down today . Fully charged overnight on a 3 pin plug . Then a Top up Sunday night  ready for drive home Monday. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Illeagal abstraction of Electricity comes to mind

• Haha 1

It's only illegal if no-one pays for it (potential custodial sentence up to 5 years iirc). I'm sure in this case someone  will have paid for it - just not Ian!😃

The cottage owners advertise charging is available onsite so I'm making the most of it. 🤣🤣 No mention of payment. So I'm not asking. 🤣

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CJE said:

Illeagal abstraction of Electricity

... begs the question - what's the difference between the terms "illegal" and "unlawful"?

Unlawful means it's a criminal offence under UK law,

Illegal means it's a sick bird.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, alanfp said:

... begs the question - what's the difference between the terms "illegal" and "unlawful"?

Unlawful means it's a criminal offence under UK law,

Illegal means it's a sick bird.

Only a sick bird with an extra 'a'

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club