Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why isn't there a Water level sensor like Brake Fluid sensor

Bobbyg123

In the 94 pages of the Ka/StreetKa Forum there has to be around 300 comments or questions regarding overheating or excesive cabin heating, or lack of it.

Generally, it all revolves around the fact that there is no engine temperature guage fitted, just relying on the warning light, when it is already too late, (in most instances), to prevent damage to the engine or water circulation system.

Has anyone, technically minded or not, ever tried to design or install a sensor in the water expansion tank that is similar to the the one installed in the Brake Fluid reservoir, indicating a low water level, before it could be too late?

Clearly, the Brake Fluid is of a completely different viscosity to that of water, but surely one could be designed if Ford continue to deny the installation of a temperature guage on Ka/StreetKa's.

Unless of course they have a vested interest in the supply of water expansion tanks, HCV's, heater switches, thermostats, thermostat housings, heater matrixes, water pumps and PCV's, and eventually head gaskets. From the mix of problems caused by this simple omission, Ka/StreetKa owners are being caused a substantial financial outlay just to keep these vehicles on the road. Ahh, the penny has dropped (as it were). Go out and buy a new car and spoil the environment for future generations with ever expanding scrap yards. Thanks Ford (NOT).

P.S. FORGOT TO SAY THAT I FITTED AN OBD READOUT SCREEN ON THE INSTRUMENT COWL BY THE "A" PILLAR. SHOWS ME THE RAPIDLY RISING ENGINE TEMPERATURE THAT MY CAR OFTEN SUFFERS.

It's a cheap car, they have to do all that they can can to keep the build costs as low as possible.  

Most larger cars have a low coolant warning switch.  I'm sure you could modify one of those to fit the Ka easily enough.

• Like 1

Anyone any ideas then?

It's NOT a cheap car when you keep spending on it!

1 hour ago, Bobbyg123 said:

Anyone any ideas then?

It's NOT a cheap car when you keep spending on it!

It was a cheap car to buy new.  That's what the designers are interested in.  Ford couldn't care less what it's like at 10 years old, let alone 20 years old.

I've always spent more on repairing old cars than I've lost in depreciation on newer ones.  Appreciate that's not everyone's experience, but I got fed up of unreliable old cars pretty quickly.

Not sure what you're looking for ideas on?  The low coolant switch is a simple on/off switch, with the circuit made by the presence of water between the pins.  All you need is a 12v feed to it and either an aftermarket LED light or may be able to use an existing, unused, dash cluster light.

• Like 1

Good lead, thank you!!

£115 plus VAT, plus postage to Spain could quite easily save me 800€ on new head gasket.

Would just like to say that I do have a modern car, but love driving the StreetKa, and next year (Jan) it is 20 years old, and always turns heads! Not me, I'm an ugly old crow!! Fairly classic car.

This evening I heard from mechanic. As I suspected, another cracked expansion tank and new cap. But that's not all: looks like another head gasket has gone, and the previous repair to head may have failed.

So, head off, to be sent for "repair" or look for another head in good condition (unlikely), or failing that, another engine.

Looks like a StreetKa for scrapping. 🤮

Don't scrap it before trying a bottle of K-Seal for 15 euro! 

• 3 weeks later...

Update: 1.200 € later, skimmed head, new exp bottle and cap, thermostat housing, gaskets, bolts, oil and filter. Nice, not!!

Now to find out why the driver's seat height adjustment doesn't work.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club